>Derbyshire> Cromford Trade Directories> This page
Cromford, Derbyshire: Kelly's Directory, 1864
A collection of historical 19th Century Directories - Commercial, Trades and Private Residents

From: The Post Office Directory of the Counties of Cambridgeshire, Derbyshire,
Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire and Rutlandshire
ed. E.R. Kelly, M.A. pub. Kelly and Co., London (1864)

pp. 210 ( 84 entries, excl. miscellaneous entries)
Cromford Index
Next
Previous
Cromford, Kelly's 1891
Also see:
Matlock & District entry from this directory is elsewhere on this website
CROMFORD is a township, railway station, town and chapelry, in the parish, hundred and county court district of Wirksworth, Bakewell union, rural deanery of Ashover, archdeaconry of Derby, diocese of Lichfield, South Derbyshire, pleasantly situated on the Ambergate Railway and the river Derwent, half a mile south from Matlock Bath, 2 miles north from Wirksworth, 66 from Rugby, 32 from Nottingham, 5 north-east from Ambergate, 15½ north from Derby, and 147½ from London.

In 1766 Sir Richard Arkwright established a cotton manufactory, and in 1789 purchased the manor and erected spacious mills, which afford employment to a large number of persons: after that period it greatly increased, but has lately declined, in consequence of a considerable portion of the supply of water being diverted to another locality. The Cromford and High Peak Railway, the Cromford Canal (communicating with the Erewash Canal near Langley Bridge), and the Midland Railway, afford every facility for the conveyance of coal, minerals and limestone to various parts of the kingdom. The chapel of St. Mary is a small neat structure, erected and endowed by the late Sir Richard Arkwright: it was restored and considerably improved, both internally and externally, in the year 1858, by the patron, Peter Arkwright, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £180, in the patronage of Peter Arkwright, Esq., of Willersley castle; who is also lord of the manor; the Rev. Robert Morgan Jones, M.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford, and rural dean of Ashover, is the incumbent. There are schools for the instruction of the children employed in the factory, comprising boys, girls and infants, containing about 220 children, all receive considerable support from Peter Arkwright, Esq. In 1654 Mrs. Mary Talbot founded almshouses for six poor widows. The population in 1861 was 1,140; the area is 1,100 acres.
Parish Clerk, John Holmes.
POST OFFICE.-John Parker, postmaster. Letters are received through Matlock Bath at 8 a.m; dispatched at 6 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Matlock Bath
INSURANCE AGENT.-Globe, David Kidd
Free School, Henry Davison Booth, master; Miss Alice Parker. mistress
Infant School, Miss Emily Griffiths, mistress
POSTING HOUSE.-Greyhound hotel, John Kinder. A fly meets every train
CARRIER TO DERBY.-George Wildgoose, every friday

Brocksopp Rev. Samuel [Wesleyan]
Cantrill William, esq
Jones Rev. Robert Morgan, M.A .
Marsden Mrs. Scarthin row
Webb William, esq

COMMERCIAL.

Abell John, coal merchnt. Cromford whf
Adams Robert, saddler & harness makr
Allen John, gingham weaver
Arkwright & Co. cotton spinners; & Masson mill, Matlock Bath
Badderley Elizabeth (Mrs.), grocer
Barker John, beer retailer
Biddulph Isaac, miller
Boden Abel, baker, Scarthin row
Boden Ebenezer, coal dealer, Cromford wharf
Boden Edward, butcher, Scarthin row
Boden Jane( Mrs. ), butcher, Scarthin row
Boden John, mine agent
Brocklehurst Richd. boot & shoe maker
Brown Francis, Junction, & farmer
Brown Samuel, farmer
Bunting Thomas, wheelwright
Bunting William, blacksmith
Burton Henry, Superintendent of police
Burton Mary Ann (Miss), baker &.shopkeeper
Butland John, shoe maker
Cantrill William, surgeon
Cheetham Joseph, tailor
Clay Richard, chemist &. Druggist
Colledge George, tailor
Conway, Joseph, farmer
Eaton Charles, boot & shoe maker
Eaton William, boot & shoe maker
Francis William, carpenter
Fryer Keziah (Miss), milliner & dress maker
Fryer John, draper
Gell Peter, Bell
Goulding & Holmes, marble masons
Gray Hugh, tailor
Haslam Brothers, coal merchants, Cromford wharf; & at Swanwick
Hodgkinson John, bar master
Hodgkinson Samuel, draper
Holmes Anthony, shopkeeper
Holmes Peter, tailor
Howsley Ann (Mrs,), Railway
Hudson Thomas, tailor
Kidd David, grocer & ironmonger
Kidd John, tinman & brazier
Kidd Samuel, coal merchant
Kidd William, bookseller, stationer & printer, Scarthin row
Kinder John, Greyhound commercial hotel, posting & family boarding ho
Mart Lydia (Mrs.), Cock
Meekin Edwin, spar turner
Midland Railway Company's Wharf (John Bestwick, wharfinger), Cromford Canal wharf
Parker John & Son, plumbers, glaziers & gas fitters
Parker Thomas, rate collector
Potter William, barytes manufacturer (John Fryer, agent)
Robinson Richard, baker
Roper George, whitesmith
Setchell Joseph, boot & shoe maker, Scarthin row
Sheldon Joseph, beer retailer Sheldon Solomon, cooper
Smedley Job, grocer, baker & draper Smith James, boot & shoe maker
Smith John, grocr.& baker, Scarthin row
Smith William, engineer .
Smithhurst William, boot & shoe maker, Scarthin row
Spencer John, fruiterer & glass & earthenware dealer, Scarthin row
Spencer Simeon, fruiterer, Scarthin row
Stone John, grocer & confectioner
Stone William, carpenter, Scarthin row
Storer Joseph, ale & porter merchant & agent to London & North Western Railway
Swift Anthony, baker & confectioner
Tipington George, manager to Arkwright & Co
Toplis John, grocer
Toplis Sarah Ann (Miss), shopkeeper, Scarthin row
Wain Thomas, tailor, Scarthin row
Walker John, butcher & farmer
Webb Willam, surgeon
Weston Anthony. marble mason
Wheatcroft Abraham, commission agent
Wheatcroft Nathaniel, general merchant, Wharf
White Robert, tailor & draper
Wild George, boot & shoe maker
Wildgoose George, china & staffordshire ware dealer, & carrier
Winson George, boot & shoe maker, Scarthin row
Wragg Saml. Bulls' Head, Scarthin row

An Ann Andrews transcript. With my grateful thanks to Martin Rowley for sending copies of the directory for transcription.
Note:spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory