>Derbyshire> Cromford Trade Directories> This page
Cromford, Derbyshire: Kelly's Directory, 1899
A collection of historical 19th Century Directories - Commercial, Trades and Private Residents

From: Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire and Rutland
pub. London (1899), pp.119-120

Price to Subscribers, Twenty-Five Shillings ; Non-Subscribers, Thirty Shillings
Cromford Index
Next
Previous
Cromford, Kelly's 1891
Also see
Matlock & District entry from this directory is elsewhere on this website
CROMFORD is a town and township, and was formed into a parish 19 March, 1869, from the parishes of Wirksworth and Middleton, with a station on the Manchester line of the Midland railway, half a mile south from Matlock Bath, 2 miles north from Wirksworth and 147½ from London, in the Western division, of the county, in the hundred, petty sessional division and county court district of Wirksworth, Bakewell union, rural deanery of Wirksworth, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell.

The High Peak railway to Stockport, now the property of the London and North Western Company, terminates in this parish by a junction on the main line of the Midland railway to Manchester. This line together with the Cromford canal (communicating with the Erewash canal near Langley Bridge) and the Midland railway afford facility for the conveyance of coal, minerals and limestone to various parts of the kingdom. The church of St. Mary, erected and endowed by Sir Richard Arkwright kt. about 1792, is a small edifice in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave and a square tower containing one bell: it was restored and considerably improved, both internally and externally, in the year 1858, by the late patron, Peter Arkwright esq. : there are 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1797. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £330, including 26 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of F. C. Arkwright esq. and held since 1899 by the Rev. George Herbert Sing M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, hon. canon and chancellor of Southwell, and surrogate. St. Mark's chapel of ease, erected in 1877 at a cost of £3,000, consists of chancel and nave only, and has 200 sittings: it is served by the parochial clergy, and has an attached cemetery. In 1662 Lady Armyne left a sum of money for six poor widows who now reside in almshouses and J. C. Arkwright esq. further endowed this charity with a sum£2,500, which enables each inmate to receive 5s. per week. In 1771 Sir Richard Arkwright kt. established a cotton factory here, the first in the kingdom, and in 1789 purchased the manor and erected spacious mills, a portion of which was destroyed by fire 7 Nov. 1890. Masson mills, the property of Sir Richard Arkwright & Co. are used in the manufacture of thread and afford employment to a great number of persons. The "Greyhound Hotel" is pleasantly situated in the centre of the town. Near Cromford Bridge is Willersley, the seat of Frederic Charles Arkwright esq. D.L., J.P. lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is sandy; subsoil, gritstone and limestone. The area is 1,306 acres of land and 18 of water; rateable value, £5,575; the population in 1891, was 1,052.

Town Sub-Post, M. & T. O., T. M. O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Insurance & Annuity Office.-Mrs. Mary Newton, sub-postmistress. Letters are received through Matlock Bath at 7 & 11.45 a.m. & 3.20 &. 6.50p.m. ; dispatched at 10.10 a.m. & 2.35, 6.5 & 7.35 p.m. ; Sundays, at 7.10, p.m. Telegraph office on sunday from 8 to 10 a.m.

Post Office, High Peak Junction, Derby road. Henry Roper, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Matlock Bath at 6 a.m. ; dispatched at 7.20 p.m. ; sundays, dispatched at6.50 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Lea Bridge, 1 mile distant

Wall Letter Box, Cromford Station, cleared at 10.0 a.m.& 7 p.m. week days only. Cromford hill, 7.30 & 3.45 & 8.10 p.m.; sunday, 7.30 p.m

Church of England School erected about 1830, & enlarged in 1894, for 400 boys & girls & 140 infants. The school is partly supported by F. C. Arkwright esq. Henry Daniel, master; Miss Kate Bestwick, infants' mistress

Railway Station, Hedley V. Weston, station master

A 'bus meets the trains at Cromford Station, fare between Market place & Station (without luggage), 3d

Carrier to Derby. Thomas Holmes (of Matlock Town), every monday & thursday, returning tuesday & friday

(The residents of Scarthin & Chapel Hill are in the parish of Matlock Bath. Willersley, & those names marked thus * are in the parish of Matlock, but all receive letters through Matlock Bath.)

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Arkwright Frederic Charles D.L.. J.P. Willersley
Arkwright Mrs. Jas. Charles, Oak hill
Furniss Mrs. Greenhill terrace
*Livesey James, Woodend
*Middleditch Hy. Howard, Bridge ho
Sing Rev. Canon George Herbert M.A. (vicar & surrogate), The Vicarage
Walker Capt. Edwyn J.P. Rock house
Willn John. Chapel hill

COMMERCIAL.

Adkin Geo. shopkeeper, Market place
Arkwright Sir Richard & Co. Limited, thread manfrs. (Richard Webster, manager) ; & at Matlock Bath
Ballard Fredk. Boulton, grocr. Scarthin
Barker William, sub-agent to F. C. Arkwright esq
Biddulph Elizabeth (Mrs.), general dealer, Scarthin
Biddulph John, miller (water), & corn dealer
Bird Thomas, beer retailer, Scarthin
Boden Abel, boot & shoe dealer. Victoria row
Boden Henry, farmer, Lime tree
Boden Thos. boot & shoe maker; & at Matlock Bath
Britland John, shoe maker
Brown Aaron, farmer, Meerbrook
Brown Geo. H. news agent & stationer
Brown Jas. farmer, High Peak junction, Derby road
Brown Samuel, butcher
Brown Wm. farmer, Longway bank, High Peak junction
Bunting Thos. (Mrs.), apartments
Bunting Thos. wheelwright, Water la
Bunting William, blacksmith
Chapman Fdk. Mark, clothier, Scarthin
Clay Wm. M.R.C.V.S.E. vet. surgeon
Cooper Seth Charles, Greyhound commercial & family hotel & posting house, situated close to waters of the Matlock & Cromford Angling Association; 'bus meets all trains ; headquarters C.T.C
Cromford Mineral Paint Co. barytes ; manufactrs. also of ambers & ochres
Dale Hannah (Mrs.), draper
*Dale Isaac, farmer, Bow wood
Dawes Wm. & Son, coal merchants
Doxey George, shopkpr. Scarthin
Duckmanton Jn. plumber, Market pI
Evans William, insurance agent
Fryer Annie (Mrs.), draper, tailor, hatter, outfitter & funeral furnisher, Scarthin
Gould Geo. Clement, shopkpr. The Hill
High Peak Junction Wharf (Joseph Gardom, sub-manager)
Higton Frank, joiner, builder & under-taker, Scarthin
HiII's Cromford Brewery Co. Limited, brewers & wine & spirit merchants ; proprietors of Hill's Chain ale & stout in cask & bottle
Hodgkinson John, shopkeeper
Holland Geo. general dealer, Scarthin
Holmes Jn. aprtmnts. Rose cot. Derby rd
Holmes John, jun. farmer
Holmes Joseph, farmer, Woodseats, Willersley
Holmes Thomas (Mrs.), apartments
Jackson George, farmer, Meadow wd
Kidd Mary & Elizbth. (Misses), milliners & haberdashers
Kidd David, grocer & ironmonger
Kidd John, tinman & brazier
King Jn. spar & marble worker, Water la
Lean William, farmer, The Ashes
Marples Henry, farmer, Moorside
Marples James, farmer, Dean farm
Matlock Bath (Troy) Laundry Co
Mee William, Bell P .H. & farmer
Midland Railway Company's Wharf (John Bestwick, wharfinger), Cromford canal wharf
Mitchell John, tailor, Scarthin
Moore & Robinson's (Notts) Banking Co. Lim. (branch of Wirksworth) (Hy Beesley, manager), open mon. wed. & fri. from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. ; draw on Smith, Payne & Smiths. Lund. EC
Newton John, painter
Newton Mary (Mrs.), stationer & sub-postmistress
Nicklinson Thos. chemist, Market pI
Outram John, currier & leather merchant, Market place
Pearson Joseph, ins. agent, Chapel hill
Redfern & Chapman, painters
Reeds Jas. & Son, grocers &c. North st
Reeds William, farmer, Cromford hill
Robinson Robert, baker
Roper George, whitesmith
Salt Joseph, saddler, Market place
Sherlock John, farmer & greengrocer
*Slater Joseph J. farmer, High Lees
Smedley Jas. coal mer. Cromford whrf
Smith Saml. & Son, general drprs.
Smith Walter Edwin, general printer, Scarthin
Smith William John, hair dresser
Smithurst Wm. boot maker, Scarthin
Statham Maria (Mrs.), refrshmnt. rms
*Steeples James, farmer, Low Lees
Stone Joseph, grocer, Market place
Swift Benjamin, farmer
Swift John Joseph, baker confectioner, & pork butcher
Swift Joshua, tobacconist
*Taylor Henry, farmer, Castle top
Taylor James, grocer
Taylor John, farmer
Taylor Silvester, shopkeeper, North st
Via Gellia Paint & Colour Co. (The) (Henry Wheatcroft, proprietor), paint & colour manufacturers
Wain Joseph, assistant overseer
Wheatcroft N. & Son, coal mers. Wharf
Wheatcroft Hy farmer, Willersley frm
Wright Wm. Jn. tailor, Market place
Young William, farmer
Young Wm. jun. earthenware dealer

An Ann Andrews transcript. With my grateful thanks to Martin Rowley for sending copies of the directory for transcription.
Note: spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory