Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Atlow, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.32-33
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
ATLOW is a parish consisting of scattered farm houses and cottages, between the roads from Ashborne to Belper and Ashborne to Wirksworth, 4 miles north-east from Ashborne station on the Churnet Valley section of the North Staffordshire railway, 5 south-west from Wirksworth, 12 north-west from Derby and 145 from London, in the Western division of the county, Appletree hundred, Ashborne union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Ashborne, Derby archdeaconry and Southwell diocese: the church of SS. Philip and James, built on a plot of land lying between the old church of All Saints and the road called Church lane, and consecrated by Bishop Selwyn, May, 1874, is a building of stone in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing the bell from the pre-existing church, bearing a monogram and the date 1595: in the south wall is a piscina : the easternmost window in the north wall of the chancel is continued downwards, and serves as a credence table: there are sittings for 120 persons. The earliest register is a small quarto book of parchment, containing entries of baptisms and burials from the year 1685, and of marriages from 1698, "truly extracted from an old and ruinous paper register by W. Wilson, curate, 1762." The living was constituted a rectory by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1866 ; average tithe rent-charge, £89 ; net yearly value £130, including 15 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of H. C. Okeover esq. and held since 1885 by the Rev. James Sheldon. From the Gisborne Charity, left 7th May, 1818, by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley, the poor receive £6 10s. a year in clothing: the Spencer charity of £5, left in 1742, has been lost : sum, of £10 from the Okeover charity left in 1878 and £10 from the Ironmongers Company are applied to the school. Limestone and Ironstone are very abundant, and it is believed that a bed of coal underlies a great portion of the parish. H. C. Okeover esq. J.P. of Okeover Hall, who is lord of the manor, Messrs. Twigge, Melland, Grundy and T. Tomlinson are chief landowners. The soil is clayey, loamy and limey; the subsoiI is black spiel. The land is chiefly kept in pasture for dairy produce. The area is 1,214 acres ; rateable value, £1,649 ; the population jn 1881 was 138.

Sexton, William Cooper.

WALL LETTER Box in Rectory wall cleared at 3.30 p.m. week days only. Letters through Ashborne arrive about 9.30 a.m. Hognaston is the nearest money order office & Ashborne the nearest telegraph office

National School (mixed), erected in 1863, for 60 children ; average attendance, 33; supported by subscription; Mr. William Frederick Walker, master: a Sunday school is also held here

CARRIER.-Joseph Woolley to Derby, every fri. ; to Ashborne sat
Sheldon Rev. James, Rectory


Booth John, farmer
Burdis Thomas, farmer
Coxon Mary (Mrs.), farmer & miller (water), Atlow mill
Dale George Hy. Smith, farmer, Shays
Fearn Josiah, farmer
Hardy Allyen, farmer
Heaton John, farmer
Hill Robert, farmer
Longden William, farmer
Melland John, farmer, Atlow Wen
Riley Thomas, farmer
Tomlinson Thomas, farmer, Hall fields
Twigge Geo. mining engineer, Moat ho
Twigge John Geo. farmer, Atlow moat
Walker William Frederick, schoolmastr
Woolley Joseph, carrier & cowkeeper

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Atlow and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills