Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Beauchief, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.42
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page

Is the surname
STEAD
mentioned in your
old Beauchief
wills or documents?
If so, please
email webmistress
BEAUCHIEF, formerly extra-parochial, is now a parish, 4 miles south-by-west from Sheffield and 3½ north-west from Dronfield, in the North Eastern division of the county, on the borders of Yorkshire, situated in the vale of the Sheaf, a station on the Midland railway, in the Eckington petty sessional division, hundred of Scarsdale, union of Ecclesall Bierlow and Sheffield county court district. The chapel of St. Thomas, erected in 1660 out of part of the ruins of the abbey, is a small building, with a western tower in the Norman style. The register dates from the year 1812 for baptisms and from 1814 for burials. The living is a donative, exempt from any ecclesiastical jurisdiction, in the gift of Col. Edward Strelley Pegge-Burnell J.P. ; the Rev. William Mercer M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, and vicar of Norton Woodseats, is chaplain. Beauchief abbey was founded by Robert FitzRanulph, lord of Alfreton, Norton and Marneham, between the years 1172 and 1176, and assigned about 1183 to canons of the Premonstratensian order; who received their name from Premonstre (Premonstratum), a desert valley in Picardy, bestowed upon St. Norbert, the founder of the order, by the Bishop of Laon, and so called because pointed out, as it was said, by the Blessed Virgin, to be the head of this reformed order ; of this monastic house, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, some fragments still remain. Beauchief Hall, occupied by WiIliam Wilson esq. J.P. is a handsome mansion, situated near the abbey, and has extensive gardens and grounds. Col. Edward Strelley Pegge-Burnell J.P. of Winkburn Hall, Notts, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, varies. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and hay. The area is 745 acres or land and 3 or water; rateable value, £2,156; the population in 1881 was 97.

Parish Clerk, George Watson.

Letters through Sheffield ; the nearest money order office at Abbeydale; telegrams, Dore station

Railway Station, John Dicken, station master

Wilson William J.P. Beauchief hall
Biggin Jn. Arth. farmer, Cockshutts farm
Sampson George, farmer & land agent
Sampson George & Son, land agents & surveyrs. agnts. to the Beauchief estate
Sampson William, farmer & land agent
Smith Jn. Jas. farmer & wood steward


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Beauchief and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills