Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Birchover, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 49-50
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page

Is the surname NUTTALL mentioned in your Birchover wills or old documents?
If so, please
email webmistress
BIRCHOVER is a township and small village, in the parish of Stanton-in-Peak, 1¼ miles north from Winster, 3 west from Darley station, on the Derby and Manchester section of the Midland railway, 154 from London and 6 north-west from Matlock, in the Western division of the county, hundred of High Peak Bakewell union, petty sessional division and county court district. The water supply is derived from springs rising in the neighbouring hills. The church at Row Tor, in this township (probably dedicated to St. Michael and All Angels), was built by Thomas Eyre esq. who died in 1717, leaving an endowment as below for a chaplain, who should read the Common Prayer in this chapel twice every day and administer the Sacrament every Sun-day: about 1869 a chancel was added, the cost being defrayed by the late William Pole Thornhill esq. and the chapel was restored in 1877, at a cost of £150: it now consists of a chancel and nave, with a turret containing 1 bell: there are monuments to the Rev. John Gresley, minister or this chapel and rector of Aller, Somerset (1795) and to John Bradley gent. of Row Tor (1795) : there are 100 sittings. The living is a chapelry in the parish of Stanton-in-the-Peak, endowed by the late Thomas Eyre esq. of Row Tor Hall, with £20 a year, in the gift of Mrs. McCreagh-Thornhill, and held since 1891 by the Rev. James Edwin Jagger M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The vicarage house, situated here, was built on the site of old Row Tor Hall. There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1857, and a Primitive Methodist chapel in 1867. About a mile from the chapel, at the base of the Cratcliffe Rocks, is a hermitage, consisting of a shallow cave, partly concealed by a yew tree : to the right, on entering, is a well-carved crucifix, about 4 feet high and fairly preserved ; near it is a small niche, apparently for a lamp, and also a seat, hewn out of the rock: the general execution of the sculpture secms to indicate a period not later than the 13th century. Here is an angular pile of gritstone rocks, called the "Row Tor," about 80 yards in length and 50 feet in height, with a subterranean passage 90 feet long : there is also an irregular shaped rock, called the "rocking stone," estimated to weigh more than 40 tons, which could formerly be moved by the hand only, and other rocking stones of less from importance. Major Michael McCreagh-Thornhill of Stanton is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is limestone and grit; subsoil, stone beds. The area is 833 acres; rateable value, £ 1,080; the Population in 1881 was 76.

Letters through Bakewell arrive at 9 a.m. Winster is the nearest money order & telegraph office. WALL BOX cleared 4.45 p.m

Infant School, erected by Major McCreagh-Thornhill in 1883, to hold 60; average attendance, 30; Miss Helen Mary Rains, mistress. The elder children attend school at Winster & Stanton

Bradley Miss
Jagger Rev. Jas. Edwin M.A. Vicarage
Robinson Misses

COMMERCIAL.
Dakin Levi, mason
Dakin Samuel, mason
Dale Stephen, farmer
Gregory Priscilla (Miss), farmer
Gregory Sl. landscape gardnr. & seedsmn
Hartle John, shopkeeper
Heathcote Joseph, farmer
Howsley Thomas, Red Lion P.H
Johnson Alfred, miller (water)
Marsden George, Druid P.H
Marsden Joseph, farmer
Phillips William, stone merchant
Prince James, stone merchant
Roose William, shopkeeper
Taylor Henry, tailor


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Birchover and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Our Genealogy
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills