Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Breadsall, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.60
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
BREADSALL is a village and parish, with a station on the Great Northern railway, 2 miles north from Derby and 145 from London, in the Southern division of the county, Appletree hundred, Shardlow union, Derby petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Ilkeston, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The river Derwent, the Midland railway, and the Derby and Little Eaton canal run through the parish. The church of All Saints, a building of stone, consists of chancel, nave, north aisle south porch, and an embattled tower at the west end, surmounted by a lofty and massive spire, with two tiers of spire lights, and containing 5 bells, dating from 1725 to 1786, and a clock presented in 1887 by Henry Joseph Wood esq. of the Priory, at a cost of £100 : there was a church here at the time of the Domesday survey, but the most ancient part of the church now extant is the fine south doorway, which is not earlier than about 1150: in the century following the church was again reconstructed in the Early Pointed style, when the massive tower was erected, the battlements being of later date, and the octagonal spire was not reared until the beginning of the Geometrical period (c. 1250) : to this date also may be assigned the south porch, and the three Pointed arches of the aisle arcade, parts of whose circular pillars seem to indicate a much earlier origin: during the Perpendicular period the walls were raised, clerestory windows inserted, the roofs flattened, and the east window inserted : the chancel has three stone sedilia, and a piscina under a Pointed arch: the font is a large octagon of 15th century work: in the north wall of the chancel is a recess with a plainly-moulded circular arch, constructed as a resting-place for the founder when the Norman aisle was built: there are two inscribed monumental stones to the Revs. Gilbert Mitchell (1758), John Clayton (1774), and Walter Fletcher (1795), former rectors of this parish: and against the south wall a monument to the celebrated Dr. Erasmus Darwin, "physician, poet, and philosopher," who held the Priory estate here, and died suddenly at Derby, 18 April, 1802, besides tablets to his wife, three sons and two daughters: the fittings of the church include an unusual quantity of old oak, some of the bench ends being effectively carved, and one or two bearing shields: the chancel has a double reading desk, bearing chained copies of Jewell's works (1609), Burnett's Reformation (1679-81), Josephus by L'Estrange (1702), Cave's works and others (1684-94) : the church was extensively repaired in 1830, and again restored in 1877, when a new chancel arch was built, a large hagioscope reopened in the north-west angle of the chancel, a portion of the rood loft stairs exposed, and several large slabs of alabaster uncovered beneath the pavement of the chancel: under the flooring at the west end was found an exquisitely carved "Pieta," or figure of the Virgin with the dead Christ on her knees, on which some traces of colour and gilding still linger: this was restored to its original position at the east end of the north aisle in 1885: a memorial window was erected in the north aisle in 1885, to Samuel Walker Cox esq. who died 30 Aug. 1879: there are 420 sittings. The register dates from the year 1573, and is in good condition: there is however a gap from 1592 to 1601, and it is more or less incomplete from 1629-1631 and 1636-7, besides later omissions: the late rector made a copy of the whole of the two earliest registers, and an index to all the entries from 1573 to 1872. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value £700, arising from 432 acres of glebe land, with residence, in the gift of Hugo Harpur Crewe esq. and held since 1886 by the Rev. John Ayton Whitaker M.A. of St. John's college, Oxford. There is a Wesleyan chapel here, and charities amounting to over £70 yearly, left by Anne Johnson in 1696, by Anthony Walker in 1714, and by the Rev. John Walton in 1600. The Derby Corporation Water Works are situated in this parish, but, being close to Little Eaton, particulars are given with that village. The present Priory house, the residence of Henry Joseph Wood esq. J.P. a building of late Elizabethan or Jacobean date, occupies the site of the ancient Priory of Holy Trinity, founded here in the reign of Henry III. by F. Dethick for friars of the Augustinian order ; of the buildings nothing now remains above ground save a few loose fragments, but more numerous evidences still exist in the basement of the modern house. Near the lodge gate is a small chapel, erected in 1836, and served occasionally by the rectors of Breadsall and Morley. Hugo Harpur Crewe esq. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is various ; subsoil, clay, The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,300 acres ; rateable value, £10,497 ; the population in 1881 was 530.

Parish Clerk, Frederick Thomas Endsor

POST OFFlCE.-James Hollingworth, receiver. Letters arrive from Derby at 7 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.45 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Little Eaton

National School (mixed), erected, with master's residence, in 1837, at the cost of the late Sir George Crewe bart. for 100 boys & girls & 20 infants; average attendance, 60 boys & girls & 20 infants ; the school is endowed with £10 yearly by the Rev. John Clayton, formerly rector of this parish; Charles Taylor, master

Railway Station, George Winstanley, station master

Bateman Frederick Osborne FitzHerbert J.P. Breadsall mount
Cadman Joseph, The Cedars
Cox Frank Walter, Priory Flats
Whitaker Rev. John Ayton M.A. Vicarage
Wood Henry Joseph J.P. Priory
Woodforde Bedon Woodforde, Breadsall lodge


Bailey Richard, farmer, Glebe farm
Bailey Samuel, farmer
Bailey Thomas, farmer
Brassington William, farmer, Allestree ford farm
Chambers Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Cook Thomas, farm bailiff to Henry Joseph Wood esq. J.P. Priory farm
Cowley Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Creasley Edward Ernest, Windmill P.H
Edge William, Lodge farm
Endsor Frederick Thos. wheelwright
Endsor George, farmer
Garratt William, baker & shopkeeper
Heathcote Joseph, market gardener
Hollingworth Thomas, farmer
Hollingworth James, farmer & post office, Old hall
Merry John, farmer Porter John, farmer
Porter John, nursery & seedsman The Hollies
Selby John, beer retailer
Vale Edward, farmer
Walker John, blacksmith
Walker Eliza (Mrs.), farmer
Winstanley George, station master Great Northern Railway station

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Breadsall and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills