Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Bretby, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.61-62
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
BRETBY is a chapelry in the parish of Repton, 2¾ miles south from Repton, 10½ south-east from Derby, 3¾ east-by north from Burton-upon-Trent railway station, Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Repton petty sessional division, union and county court district of Burton-upon-Trent. The church of St. Wystan is a small but handsome edifice of stone in the Early English style, entirely rebuilt in 1878 at the sole cost of the late Countess of Chesterfield, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a low tower at the west end, containing 5 modern bells: the east window is a memorial to George Augustus Frederick, 6th Earl of Chesterfield, d. 1 June, 1866, and there are similar memorials to George Philip Cecil Arthur, 7th Earl of Chesterfield, d. 21 Oct. 1883, and to his sister and heiress Evelyn, 1st wife of Henry, late Earl of Carnarvon; she d. 27 Jan. 1875 : there is also a tablet to the memory of the late Earl of Beaconsfield K.G. d. 19 April, 1881, erected by the late Countess of Chesterfield : there are 130 sittings. The register, of baptisms only, dates from the year 1766. The living is a donative vicarage, net yearly value £200, with residence and glebe, in the gift of the Earl of Carnarvon. Bretby Park is the seat of the Earl of Carnarvon, who is lord of the manor and sole landowner ; the park is about 700 acres in extent and contains 200 to 300 head of deer. At Stanton is an extensive colliery belonging to and worked by the trustees of the late Earl of Carnarvon. The soil varies; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1,550 acres ; rateable value, £3,591 ; the population in 1881 was 336.

POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Charity Ann Wheddon, postmistress. Letters arrive from Burton-on-Trent at 7.45 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.50 p.m. week days & 10.45 a.m. sundays. Swadlincote is the nearest telegraph office

PILLAR Box at Bretby Colliery, cleared on week days at 9.45 a.m. &7.10 p.m. ; sunday 10.30 a.m

School (mixed), built in 1807, for 60 children; average attendance, 48 ; Samuel Glover Wheddon, master

Carnarvon Earl of, Bretby park


Bretby Collieries (Wm. Johnson, agnt)
Campbell Colin, land steward to the Earl of Carnarvon
Broadhurst Thomas, Stanhope Arms P.H
Faulkner Samuel, wheelwright
Hinton Mark, farmer & driller
Jefford William, farmer
Mazon Eliza (Miss), shopkeeper
Moon Frederick, blacksmith
Smith John, farmer
Startin James, farmer, Home farm
Tabberer William, farmer
Upton Joseph, farmer
Wain William, farmer
Warrington William, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Bretby and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills