Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Calke, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.73
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page

Is the surname HATTON mentioned in your seventeenth or eighteen century wills or documents of Calke or nearby parishes?
If so, please
email webmistress
CALKE is a small rural village, township and parish on the borders of Leicestershire, 4 miles north from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, 11 south from Derby and 3 south-west from Melbourne station, on Derby and Birmingham section of the Midland railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Repton petty sessional division, Ashby-de-la-Zouch union and county court district. The church, said to be dedicated to St. Giles, was appropriated to the canons of the priory at an early date, and stands on high ground some little distance north of the site of the conventual buildings ; it consists of chancel, nave and an embattled tower, containing an ancient bell of the 14th century : the old church was probably of Norman origin, traces of work of this period being found when the church was restored, but the building was a simple parellelogram, the chancel being divided from the nave by a wooden screen of rude open work : the font an Early English work of the 13th century, consists of a large bowl on four clustered shafts : in the chancel is a marble monument with bust, to Sir John Harpur, fourth bart. d. 1741 and Catherine (Crewe) his wife : outside the eastern wall are slabs with inscriptions to the Rev. Thomas Bate, rector of Swarkstone (1727) and to the Rev. William Smith, curate (1754), and nearby is a raised tomb to the Rev. Mr. Harpur A. M.rector of Stanton (1744) : the church was rebuilt in 1826 by Sir George Crewe bart. The register dates from the year 1699. The living is a donative, the gift of Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe bart. D.L. and held since 1881 by the Rev. Thomas Orrell, of St. Aiden's, who is chaplain, and resides at Ticknall. A priory of canons regular of St. Augustine, dedicated to St. Giles, was founded here soon after the Conquest, and was afterwards incorporated with that of Repton : at the Dissolution it came to and remained with the Crown till 1547, when it was granted by Edward VI. to the Earl of Warwick, and eventually became the property of Henry Harpur esq. created a baron in 1626. There is no record of any parochoal relief being distributed, or any highway rate being made in this parish. Calke Abbey, built on the site of the old Priory and erected early in the last century, by Sir John Harpur bart. is a noble mansion, standing in the centre of a deer park of 500 acres, and is the seat of Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe bart. D.L, J.P. lord of the manor and principal landowner. The area is 935 acres, consisting of limestone and coal land ; rateable value £982 ; the population in 1881 was 48.

LETTERS can be forwarded through the postman at Ashby who passes through at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office & telegraph office is at Melbourne

Children of the parish attend the school at Ticknall

Crewe Sir Vauncey Harpur bart. D.L. J.P. Calke abbey
Bates Frederick, gardener to Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe bart.
Chapman Richard Hemming, farmer, & steward to Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe bart. [letters through Ashby-de-la-Zouch]
Shaw Arthur, miller (water) & farmer [letters through Ashby-de-la-Zouch]

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Calke and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills
Our genealogy