Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Carsington, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.73
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
CARSINGTON is a parish and village, pleasantly situated 6 miles north from Belper, 6½ north-east from Ashborne, 2½ west from Wirksworth station on the Derby and Wirksworth branch of the Midland railway and 4½ south-west from Cromford station on the Ambergate and Birmingham section of the same line, in the Western division of the county, Wirksworth hundred and petty sessional division, Ashborne union and county court district, rural deanery of Wirksworth, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Margaret is a small building consisting simply of nave and south porch and a turret containing one bell : it was repaired and new roofed in 1854, and in 1874 was reseated with open benches, and a south porch built : the octagonal font is of early date : there are 140 sittings. The register dates from 1592 for all entries. The living is a rectory, average tithe-rent charge £88, gross yearly value £140, including 43 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1859 by the Rev. Francis Henry Brett M.A. of St. John's college, Cambridge. Gisborrne's charity, of £5 10s. yearly is expended in clothing. H. Chandos-Pole-Gell esq. J.P. of Hopton Hall is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay and loam ; subsoil, clay and limestone. The chief crops are grass. The area is 1,127 acres ; rateable value £1,742 : the population in 1881 was 231.
Parish Clerk, Edward Hitchcock

LETTER BOX cleared at 5 p.m. Letters through Derby via Wirksworth. The latter is the nearest money order office

School, built & endowed in 1726 by Miss Temperance Gell ; will hold 100 children ; vacant, master. The endowment was originally for 20 poor children, but all scholars now pay 2d. per week, which however includes some school necessaries. The endowment arises from rent of land & averages between £75 & £85 yearly

Brett Rev. Francis Henry M.A. [rector]
Taylor Henry, Thornhill house

Allsop John, farmer
Bowler Joseph, farmer
Buxton Edmund, farmer
Buxton Thomas, farmer
Calderbank William, farmer
Cauldwell Thomas, farmer
Elliott William (Mrs.), farmer
Haigh (Mrs.) farmer

Hitchcock Edward, parish clerk
Lamb Francis, Greyhound P.H. & farmer
Mellor Chas Miners' Arms P.H. & farmr
Naylor Edward, farmer
Steeples James, boot maker
Steeples William, farmer
Stone William, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Carsington and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills