Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Chatsworth, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.79-80
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page


Chatsworth House, 1880



Chatsworth, the Grand Conservatory


Chatsworth, The Italian Garden - William Potter's CDVs


Chatsworth, Qeeen Mary's Bower



Chatsworth House, Tapestry Room


CHATSWORTH, formerly extra-parochial, is now a parish, 3 miles north-east from Bakewell, in the Western division of the county, High Peak hundred, Bakewell union, petty sessional division and county court district, and is entirely the property of the Duke of Devonshire. The nearest stations are at Hassop and Rowsley, both on the Midland railway. Bakewell station is the nearest for visitors on foot by the path through the woods to Edensor.

CHATSWORTH HOUSE is on the banks of the Derwent, which traverses the large park and is crossed by a stone bridge : this estate was among the domains originally given to William Peveril ; it afterwards passed into the Cavendish family, and has ever been a favourite residence of the Earls and Dukes of Devonshire : the mansion is a stately building in the Italian style, consisting of four nearly equal sides, encompassing an open court, to which considerable additions were made from the designs of Sir Jeffery Wyatville ; some of the rooms exhibit beautiful wood carving by Grinling Gibbons, and the interior of the chapel is of cedar: the library contains a valuable collection of rare editions, and there is a splendid collection of paintings: the mansion is open to the public daily from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on Saturdays from 11 a.m to 1 p.m. during the summer months, except when the Duke of Devonshire is in residence. The park is nearly twelve miles round, beautifully wooded and stocked with deer. The gardens, formerly under Sir Joseph Paxton's care, have long had a high and well-deserved reputation, and include an orangery 180 feet long, 27 wide and 21 high, lighted by a glass roof, and a grand conservatory covering about an acre of land, 320 feet long and 145 feet wide, containing rare trees, shrubs and aquatic plants; the kitchen garden is twelve acres in extent, while the arboretum covers about 100 acres : the water works and great cascade, situated to the south and south-east of the house, were designed more than a century ago by a French engineer ; the water falls from the heights in a series of cascades for about 300 yards, the stream disappearing amidst masses of rock and passing underground to the river. H.M. the Queen visited Chatsworth in December, 1843, when the pleasure-grounds and grand conservatory were illuminated. The area is 1,286 acres; rateable value, £1,817; the population in 1881 was 60.

Letters from Chesterfield

The children attend the school at Edensor

Devonshire The Duke of K.G., P.C., D.C.L., D.L., J.P. ; & 78 Piccadilly w & Devonshire club & Oxford & Cambridge clubs, London s w
Bark Henry, farmer, Park farm
Swaine Edmund, cashier
Turnbull Edward, estate clerk
Thomas Owen, head gardener to the Duke of Devonshire


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Chatsworth and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills