Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Clifton-with-Compton, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.98
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
CLIFTON-WITH-COMPTON forms a township and the ecclesiastical parish taken in 1846 out of Ashborne, 1 mile south from Ashborne and 146 miles from London, in the Western division of the county, Morleston and Litchurch hundred, Ashborne union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Ashborne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell : Clifton has a station on the branch line of the North 8taffordshire railway between Rocester and Ashborne. The ancient chapel of St. Mary, at Clifton, fell into disuse after the Reformation, and in 1750 was pulled down, much of the material being used to repair the chancel of the mother church at Ashborne. The church of Holy Trinity, erected in 1845, is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting or apsidal chancel, nave, south porch, a vestry at the north-east end and an octagonal stone turret, containing one bell at the west end: the pulpit is semi-hexagonal in form, resting upon a low inverted conical base: the reredos is formed of mosaic work, with a central cross of Sienna marble, surrounded by arabesque scroll work: on the south side of the nave is a stained window to Charles John Smith, late of Elmhurst, Lichfield, d. Dec. 2, 1874, and another erected by the parishioners to the Rev. Henry Gamble, first vicar of this parish, a third stained window on the north side, was erected to William Smith, of Clifton, one of the founders of the church, d. 8 July, 1858, and to Elizabeth, his wife, d. 25 May, 1866, by their seven surviving children, at Christmas, 1866 : in the apse are two memorial windows to the late Thomas Henry Smith, of Clifton, d. 1882: the east window being a memorial to the Rt. Rev. John Lonsdale D.D. Bishop of Lichfield, who consecrated this church, June 18th, 1845; and there is also a memorial to the Rt. Rev. George Augustus Selwyn D.D. his successor, who consecrated the chancel in 1869 : at the west end is a brass plate recording; the erection of the church in 1845, and the appointment of 122 free sittings. The register dates from the year 1845. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £290, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Ashborne, and held since 1867 by the Rev. George Arthur Festing M.A. or St. John's College Cambridge, and rural dean of Ashborne. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels situated in Mayfield road; the former was erected in 1830. Cordon's Charity of £20 yearly, left in 1843, is distributed in fuel. John Harrison esq. who is lord of the manor, William Richard Smith esq. and Sir Edmund Antrobus bart. of Amesbury, Wilts. are the principal landowners. Clifton Hall, the residence of Charles William Jervis Smith esq. J. P. is a handsome mansion in the Elizabethan style, situated in the south-eastern part of the village, and commanding an extensive view of the surrounding country : the Henmore brook flows through the grounds. Clifton House, the residence of William Richard Smith esq. J.P. is pleasantly situated in the village. The soil is good loamy; subsoil, chiefly gravel and sand. The land is chiefly kept in pasture for dairy produce. The acreage is 1,006 ; rateable value, £5,519; the population in 1881 was 1,106.

Parish Clerk, Frederick Lingley.

POST OFFICE.-Miss Eliza Sarah Rose, receiver. Letters arrive from Ashborne at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.25 p.m. Ashborne is the nearest money order & telegraph office

National School (mixed), erected, with master's residence, in 1855, for 81 children; average attendance, 50 ; Mortimer Thomas Kirby, master

Railway Station, George William Rogers, station master

Adams Ernest Ph.D. The Croft
Allaway John Pearman, Clifton villas
Amies Thos. Andrew Arthr. Clifton vils
Bond George Morton, Alrewas house
Burton Rev. Robert Lingen, jun. [curate]
Cookson Thomas, Dove house
Elleby William
Festing Rev. George Arthur M.A. [vicar & rural dean], Vicarage
Frost Jacob, Leys cottage
Grimshaw Jn. Sl. Store cot. Mayfield rd
Jones John Owen, Westwood
Lucas Edgar Thomas
Mainwaring Miss, The Cross
Mann Mrs. Clifton villas
Peach George James
Satterthwaite Thomas Edmondson Stedman, Clifton cottage
Smith Chas. Wm. Jervis J. P. Clifton hall
Smith Wm. Richard J. P. Clifton house
Ward Mrs. Clifton villas
Wilson Frank, Rose cottage

Abbott John, coal merchant
Astle George, shopkeeper, Mayfield rd
Biggins George, boot & shoe maker
Bodell John, beer retailer
Bond M. & Co. manufacturers of venetian webs, dutch, india & every description of tapes, smallwares &c. Alrewas mills (see Ashborne). See advertisement
Booth William, Royal Oak P.H. choice foreign wines & spirits, cigars &c. burton ales & dublin stout; good stabling & excellent commercial accommodation, Hanging bridge
Bullock Wm. butcher, Hanging bridge
Chadwick Samuel Compton, shopkeeper
Coxon Louis Charles, Cock inn
Creswell Alfred, farmer, Ashborne ldg
Elleby William, artist
Farmer George, baker, Mayfield road
Frost George, farmer, The Hollies
Frost Jacob, farmer & landowner, Leys cot
Grindy Sampson, farmer, Holme farm
Haywood Harriett (Mrs.), dairy
Jones J.O. corn, seed, manure & coal mer
Kirby Mortimer Thomas, schoolmaster
MacGovern John, blacksmith
Mitchell William, plasterer
Morecroft Joseph, farmer, Tinkers' inn
Purdy Wm. poultry breeder, The Aviaries
Robinson William, plumber & glazier
Rose Eliza Sarah (Miss), grocer & post office
Swinscoe George, joiner & wheel wright
Taylor Samuel, farmer, & registrar of births & deaths for the Mayfield dist
Thorley Will. bldr. & contrctr. Side mills
Twigge Joseph, cowkeeper
Twigge Thomas, coal merchant & farmer, Moor farm, Wyaston road

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Clifton-with-Compton and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills