Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Dale Abbey, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.105-106
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
DALE ABBEY, formerly extra-parochial, is now a large and scattered parish, one mile south-east from West Hallam railway station on the Great Northern line, 3 south-west from Stanton Gate station on the main line of the Midland railway, 6 east-north-east from Derby and 10 west from Nottingham, in the Ilkeston division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Smalley petty sessional division, union of Shardlow, Belper and Ilkeston county court district. The chapel of All Saints is an ancient and interesting edifice of stone, consisting only of chancel and nave and possessing scarcely any or the characteristics of an ordinary church and comprising under the same roof an old oak-timbered farm residence called the "Guest House". Tradition says that about 800 years ago the then lord or the manor, while out hunting, discovered a hermit dwelling in a forest cave which he had excavated in the solid rock, and which still exists about 300 yards to the south : for this hermit a house and chapel were built, on the site, as is supposed, of the present edifice: the oak pulpit is dated 1634, and near it is an alabaster tablet, erected by the parishioners, to Philip Henry, 4th Earl Stanhope and lord or the manor, d. 2 March, 1855 : the font, which originally belonged to the abbey, is octagonal, and the sides are carved alternately with figures and shields, now much mutilated : there are about 100 sittings. The register of marriages dates from the year 1684, and of baptisms and burials from 1702. The living is a donative, annexed since 1702 to the rectory or Stanton-by-Dale and is served by the incumbent of Stanton. Here is a Wesleyan chapel: the locality affords coal and ironstone of excellent quality. Here are the ruins of the abbey of Le Dale or De Parco Stanley, originally founded in 1160 by Serlo de Grendon, for Austin Canons, from Calke, and, on their ejection by the king, occupied for 7 years by Premonstratensians, from Tupholme (Lincs), in 1195 : it was endowed by W. de Grendon for Premonstratensian Canons from Newhouse (Lincs), and was afterwards refounded in 1224 by William Fitz Rauf, seneschal of Normandy, and Geoffry Saltmarsh or de Salicosa Mara : the site, at the Dissolution, was given in 35 Hen. VIII. to Francis Poole: only the outline of the east window of the choir, the foundations of part or the church and the bases of a few of the clustered pillars remain, though many interesting relics have been occasionally discovered and are shown to visitors. Earl Stanhope is lord of the manor of Dale, and holds a court leet yearly, and is principal landowner. The soil is partly sand, marl and clay ; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, oats and grass. The acreage is 1,758, rateable value, £2,639; the population in 1881 was 408.

Parish Clerk, James Wood.

WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 6 p.m. Letters through Nottingham, arrive about 8.30 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Ilkeston

Church of England School (mixed), erected in 1872, for 80 children; average attendance, 54 ; Miss Sarah Clifft, mist

CARRIER TO DERBY.-George Bacon, fri

Brett Rev. Jesse L.Th. [curate]

Bacon George, timber dealer & carrier
Beetson Samuel, farmer, Hagg farm
Bloor John, shopkeeper
Brown Robert, farmer
Cliff John, farmer
Cresswell Jonathn. frmr. Dale Furnaces
Dexter John, farmer
Fryer Henry, Carpenters' Arms P.H
Harvey Thomas, farmer
Hollingworth William, farmer
Johnson Fredk. farmer, Locks grange
Kiddy Matthew, farmer
Malin William, farmer, Boyah grange
Newton William, farmer
Richardson Lydia (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Shelton Robert, Stanhope Arms P.H
Smedley Stephen, miller (wind) & farmr
Sneap Henry, farmer
Stanton Iron Works Co. Limited Colliery (Walter C. Fowler, manager)
Stevens John, farmer
Stone Isaac, farmer
Wadson James, farmer
Winfield John, farmer, Domeshill
Wood James, farmer, Guest house
Wright Joseph, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Dale Abbey and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills