Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Derwent-Woodlands, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.182-183
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page

Packhorse Bridge and Derwent Hall

The Old Chapel, about 1867

DERWENT-WOODLANDS is a parish formed in 1872 from parts of the civil parishes of Hathersage and Hope, and composed of the townships of Derwent and Hope-Woodlands; it is on the borders of Yorkshire, 5 miles north-east from Hope and 14½ south-east, from Glossop, in the High Peak division of the county, High Peak hundred, Chapel-en-le-Frith petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Eyam, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The Derwent, which separates the townships, is spanned by an ancient bridge of two arches, which is 2 miles south from Derwent, on the road to Sheffield and Glossop. Yorkshire bridge, of two arches, is situated 3 miles south from Derwent and 1½ miles from Bamford, and leads to Sheffield. The church of SS. James and John, belonging at an early period to the Abbey of Welbeck, subsequently rebuilt in 1757, and again in 1867 and following years, was consecrated August 18th, 1869, and is now an admirably proportioned building of stone in the Geometric Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle with an arcade of three arches, south porch and a western tower with spire, containing 1 bell, added in 1873 : the ancient stone font, dated 1670 and bearing the arms of Balguy, stood for some time in the gardens of Derwent Hall, but has been replaced in the church: the church plate includes a fine silver-gilt chalice of 1584-5, and a silver paten of 1763-4, presented by Dr. Denman : there is also a small library connected with the church, which affords 140 sittings : in the churchyard, near the south entrance, is a sun-dial, the work of Daniel Rose, clerk of Derwent in the 18th century. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1813, and of marriages and burials from 1869. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £7, net yearly value £182, including 80 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire, and held since 1888 by the Rev. John Edmund Andrew B.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. The Catholic chapel, built by the Duke of Norfolk K.G. in 1877 and dedicated to St. Henry, is an edifice in the Early English style, and will seat 90. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Ashopton, built in 1840, and seating 60. Joan Morton's (Aston) Charity provides £12 4s. for the poor of this parish: Turie's is of £2 yearly value : there are also two small charities, Barber's and Frost's. Derwent Hall, one of the seats of the Duke of Norfolk K.G. is a fine old gabled mansion of rough tooled stone, built in 1672, and has since received many additions, the last containing the drawing room, having been erected in 1878 : the principal front, facing the east, is nearly covered with ivy and overlooks a beautiful lawn and gardens, bounded by immense hedges of holly on the side adjoining the highway: many of the rooms are lined with dark oak wainscoting, which has alone cost not less than £6,000 : the inclosed grounds are of no very great extent, but are naturally, as well as artifically, attractive: along the south side, less than 100 feet from the Hall, runs the river Derwent, while in front is a gently rising ground, forming the base of a high and rugged eminence ; on the north side the ground is equally high, thickly covered with timber and brush wood. The principal landowners are the Duke of Devonshire K.G. who is lord of the manors of Derwent and Woodlands, and the Duke of Norfolk K.G. The soil is various; subsoil, gritstone. The chief crops are hay and oats, but the greater portion is in pasture. The area of Hope-Woodlands is 20,529 acres of land and 85 of water, and Derwent 3,533 acres ; rateable value of Hope-Woodlands £3,648, and Derwent £1,413; the population in 1881 of Hope-Woodlands was 220, and of Derwent 187, and of the parish 396.

Parish Clerk, James Dronfield.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- William Ferns, sub-postmaster. Letters through Sheffield, arrive at 10 a.m. ; departure 4 p.m. week days only

WALL LETTER BOX, Ashopton, cleared 4.45 p.m

Endowed with master's residence, a building of rough-hewn stone, erected in 1877, & has an annual income of £9, left by Francis Newdigate esq. August 3, 1857, besides a rent charge of £4 16s. left by John Eyre in 1772; it will hold 80 children ; average attendance, 36; William Ferns, master; Mrs. M. Ferns, sewing mistress
Catholic erected in 1881,for 80 children; average attendance, 15; Mrs. L. Pollard, mistress

CARRIERS TO SHEFFIELD.-William Elliott, from Derwent ; Aaron Thorpe, A. Bradbury & David Ollerenshaw, from Ashopton


Norfolk Duke of E.M., K.G. Derwent hall; & Norfolk house, 31 St. James' square, London S W
Andrew Rev. John Edmd. B.A. [vicar]
Beardshaw Jonathan, Lady bower
Cotterill Mrs
Dronfield Mrs. Cottage
Firth Mrs. Moscar lodge
Hayward Rev. Francis M. [Catholic]
Thorp Mrs. Grain foot

Cameron Dougal, head gamekeeper to the Duke of Norfolk, Howden
Cotterill Jonathan (exors. of), farmers & landowners
Elliott Joseph, farmer, The Ashes
Elliott Joseph, jun. farmer, High house
Ellis Chas. Hy. blacksmith, Ashopton
Ellis Swain Mager, Lady Bower inn & fmr
Ellison Michael Joseph, agent to the Duke of Norfolk, Shireowlers
Hoggarth Thomas, farmer & gamekeeper to the Duke of Norfolk
Lessons John, farmer
Marsden James, Ashopton family & commercial hotel & posting house, & farmer
Marshall Ebor, joiner
Marshall Joseph, wheelwright, Ashopton
Oates Allan, farmer, Hollin clough
Oates William, farmer, Hancock farm
Thorp Benjamin, farmer, Walker houses
Thorp David, farmer, Old house
Thorp George, farmer, Well head
Thorpe Ephraim, farmer, Tin wood
Thorpe Henry, farmer
Twigg John, farmer, Moscar farm
Walker Mark, farmer, Riding house
Wilson Alexander, head gardener to the Duke of Norfolk, The Lodge


Allott David, farmer & gamekeeper, Locker brook
Allott John, farmer, Upper Ashop
Ashton Benjamin, farmer
Ashton William, farmer, Underbank
Bradbury Aaron, shopkeeper, Ashopton
Bridge Charles, farmer, Hagg
Lee Bridge John (Mrs.), farmer, Hagg
Cotterill Robert, farmer, Gores
Cotterill William, farmer, Fair holmes
Eyre Jacob, farmer, Mare bottom
Eyre Jonathan, farmer, Allport
Eyre Samuel, farmer, Bank top
Greaves Charles, farmer, Rowlee
Hadfield Joseph, farmer, Gillatt
Hay Hallam Joseph, farmer
Longden Benjamin, farmer, Ridge
Longden, Benjamin, farmer, Hagg
Newton John, farmer
Priestley Sophia (Mrs.), farmer, Ashoptn
Rowarth Isaac, Snake P.H. & farmer
Shepherd Joel, farmer, Bridge end
Tagg Thos. & Samuel, farmers, Ronksley
Thorpe Aaron, frmr. shopkpr. & carrier
Thorpe John, farmer, Ashopton
Thorpe Thomas, farmer, Parkin field
Wain David, farmer, Birchin lee
Wain Thomas, farmer, West end
Walker John, farmer, Elmin pits
Webster Benjamin, farmer, Allport
Wilcockson John, farmer
Wilcockson Thomas John, farmer, Grimber Carr
Wilson Dennis, farmer, Two Thorn field

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Derwent-Woodlands and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills