Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Donisthorpe, Derbyshire (with Oakthorpe)
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.184
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
DONISTHORPE is a parish formed in 1838 from the civil parishes of Church Gresley, Measham, and Stretton-en-le-Field, and Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Seal, in Leicestershire, with a station on the Ashby and Nuneaton joint line of the Midland and London and North Western railways, 114 miles from London, 3 south-west from Ashby-de-la-Zouch and 8 south-east from Burton-upon-Trent, in the Southern division of the county of Derby and the Western division of Leicestershire, hundreds of Repton, Gresley, West Goscote, Swadlincote petty sessional division, union and county court district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, rural deanery of Repton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell.

DONISTHORPE and OAKTHORPE hamlets form a joint township in this ecclesiastical parish. The church of St. John, erected in 1838, is a building of grey sandstone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, west porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and one bell : the nave was restored in 1889 at a cost of £350: there are 500 sittings, 200 being free, The register dates from the year 1838. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, including 17 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1885 by the Rev. Edward Bertram Lavies T.A.K.C.L. Here are two Primitive Methodist chapels. A cemetery, containing 1½ acres of ground, was opened here in 1875, and is under the control of a burial board of 9 members. There is a colliery, worked by Messrs. Checkland, Son and Williams, and a brewery owned by Mr. William Field Cooper. The principal landowners are Lord Donington, Sir Mylles Cave-Brown-Cave bart. D.L., J.P. of Stretton-en-le-Field, Messrs. W. F. Cooper, S. Greaves, Drewry and some small freeholders. The soil is mixed; subsoil, chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area iS 1,162 acres; rateable value, including Oakthorpe, £6,011. The population for the township in 1881 was 1,494, and of the parish was 2,600.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Thomas Talbot, receiver. Letters arrive through Ashby-de-la-Zouch at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. on week days & arriving at 7.15 a.m. & dispatched at 11.45 a.m. on sundays

National School (mixed), erected in 1830, for 66 children ; average attendance, 82 ; Miss Elizabeth Moore, mistress Railway Station, Isaac Lovell, station master

Oakthorpe is a hamlet in the parish of Donisthorpe, hundreds of Repton and Gresley and West Goscote, union and county court district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch and 3 miles south-west from Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Here are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Reform chapels. Lord Donington is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Earl of Loudoun, Lord Donington, Thomas Wright esq. and the governors of Repton school.

POST OFFICE.-Thos. Betteridge, receiver. Letters through Ashby-de-la-Zouch arrive at 7.30 a.m.; sundays 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m.; sundays, dispatched at 10.20 a.m. Donisthorpe is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Wesleyan School (mixed), erected in 1875, for 108 children ; average attendance, 70 ; Alfred Baylis, master

CARRIER TO ASHBY, Eli Cashmore, sat

Donisthorpe.

Cooper William Field
Fowler John Walter
Lavies Rev. Edward Bertram T.A.K.C.L. Vicarage
Richardson Thomas

COMMERCIAL.
Bowley George, butcher
Bowley William, Cave's Arms P.H
Brown James, farmer
Burton James, The Turk's Head P.H
Cemetery (John Salisbury, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, clerk to the burial board)
Checkland, Son & Williams, colliery proprietors, Donisthorpe colliery
Cooper William Field, farmer & brewer
Fowler John, farmer
Gent Edward, brick maker & farmer
Hunt Hannah (Mrs.), Bull's Head P.H
Hunt William, shopkeeper, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit mers
Kirby Thomas, carpenter & builder
Newbold Robert, assistant overseer
Noon Joseph, rate collector
Price William, farmer
Smith John, beer retailer
Talbot Thomas, blacksmith, Post office
Taylor Henry, manager of Messrs. Checkland, Son & Williams' colliery
Toon William, Masons' Arms P.H
Turner John, butcher
Whirledge Francis, Engine P.H

Oakthorpe.

Barnett George, farmer
Betteridge Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Betteridge Thomas, tailor, Post office
Bird John, farmer
Cashmore Eli, provision dealer
Christian Thos. thrashing machine owner
Fern William, plumber & glazier
Massey Wilmot, grocer & farmer
Moore James, shoe maker
Orgill Thomas & Herbert, wheelwrights
Sale George, school attendance officer
Stewart George, farmer
Talbot William, Shoulder of Mutton P.H. & blacksmith
Thornley Charles, Holly Bush inn
Toon Thomas, Steam Mill inn
Toon William, farmer
Tunnicliffe William, farmer
Walker Francis, farmer
Whetton Arthur, shopkeeper
Woodward James, farmer


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Donisthorpe and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills