Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Little Eaton, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.192-193
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
LITTLE EATON is a village, township and parish formed in 1863 from the parish of St. Alkmund, Derby, 3¼ miles north-north-east from Derby and 4 south from Belper, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Shardlow union, Derby petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Duffield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. There is a canal from Derby, and a railway station on the branch tine, opened in 1856 and extending to Ripley, a distance of 6½ miles, forming a junction a little south of the village with the North Midland railway from Derby to Buxton. A small stream called "Bottlebrook" runs through the village. The chapel of St Paul, rebuilt in 1791 is a building of stone in imitation of the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, with an arcade of four bays, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 1 bell, hung in 1890 in place of the former bell, cast in 1791, and weighing 8 cwt : previous to its rebuilding it had been for some time in a ruinous condition, and for a long time served as a blacksmith's shop: it was enlarged in 1837: a stained window was placed in the chancel in 1865, as a memorial to John Tempest esq. and his wife, and in 1803 another was erected to his son: there are 350 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1813; of marriages from 1865, and of burials from 1814 ; the earIier registers are kept at Derby. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £270, including 11 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of St. Alkmund, Derby, and held since 1879 by the Rev. Charles James Fox; the Rev. George Buck, of St. Bees, has been curate in charge since 1889. There are Congregational and Free Methodist chapels. Tempest's charity, of £6 3s. 10d. yearly, founded by will in 1861, provides Christmas dinners for 24 poor people. Parker's charity, a rent-charge of £1 yearly, payable by Lord Scarsdale, is also for the poor. Here are two paper mills and some stone quarries. The principal landowners are Mrs. SeIina Tempest, Herbert Strutt esq. the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and Col. E. A. Noel D.L. J.P. The soil is sand; subsoil, sandstone. The land is principally pasture. The acreage is 530; rateable value, £5,427 ; the population in 1881 was 946.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, at Railway station.-Edward Sharpe, receiver. Letters through Derby arrive at 5 a.m. & 1.35 p.m. ; dispatched at 10.15 a.m. & 7.50 p.m

A School Board of 7 members was formed in 1880 ; clerk to the board, J. B. Walker, Belper; Michael Fogerty, attendance officer

Board school (mixed), erected in 1884, for 180 children ; average attendance, 135; Edwin Orford, master

Railway Station. Edward Sharne, station master

CARRIER TO DERBY:- Mrs. Wood, from Ripley, fri


Buck Rev. George [curate-in-charge]
Cudlip Joseph S. jun
Currey Benjamin Scott, Eaton hill
Dann Thomas, Woodland villa
Fox Rev. Charles James, Vicarage
Frith Miss, The Cottage
Harvey Robert, Derwent house
Jackson Henry Johnson Miss
Noel Col. Edward Andrew D.L., J.P. The Outwoods [letters should be addressed Duffield] ; & Carlton & Junior Constitutional clubs, London s w
Tatam Mrs. The Firs
Tatam William John, Parks view
Taylor John
Tempest Mrs. Little Eaton house
Thompson Mrs
Turton Miss
Walters Thomas Michael
Wilmot Mrs. Edge hill [letters should be addressed Duffield]
Williamson Mrs. The Poplars
Wykes John Louth
Wykes John Theodore B.A


Butler James, quarry master
Crooks Jabez, butcher & farmer
Cudlip & Sons Lim. paper manufacturers, Brook paper mills; London address, Wardrobe chambers, Queen Victoria street E C
Denby Colliery Wharf (John Hill, agnt)
Fox John, refreshment rooms
Goodwin Frederick, shopkeeper
Goodwin Samuel, jun. shopkeeper
Hastie John, farmer
Hickling William, shopkeeper
Hill George, joiner
Hill John, agent for W. D. N. Drury-Lowe esq. Denby colliery wharf
Holland Mrs. Anchor inn
Kerry John Garvis, Queen's Head P.H. & assistant overseer
Kilburne Colliery Whrf. (Hy. Ingram, agt )
Little Eaton Co-operative Society (Frederick J. Birkinshaw, sec)
Miles Jn. Thos. maltster, The Maltings
Piggs William Henry, rate collector
Pool Henry, blacksmith
Pratt Thomas, grocer
Rowland John, canal agent
Salmon Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Sproull Thomas James, inland revenue officer, Parks view
Stevenson J. H. & Son, bleachers
Tatam John Joseph, farmer
Tempest & Son, paper manufacturer
Thums George, butcher
Tomlinson Samuel, shoe maker
Walker Joseph, New inn
Wall Henry, tailor
Walters Emily (Mrs.), farmer & joiner
Walters Frederick William, florist
Wansborough Henry, commrcl. traveller
Weeder Andrew, commercial traveller
Wykes John Theodore B.A. solicitor

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Little Eaton and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills