Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Edale, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.200-201
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
EDALE is a parish, formed in 1863 from Castleton parish, 3 miles north-west from Castleton, 15 north-west from Bakewell and 5½ north-east from Chapel-en-le-Frith, in the High Peak division of the county, High Peak hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Chapel-en-le-Frith, rural deanery of Eyam, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The river Noe runs through the valley. The Dore and Chinley railway now (1891) in course of construction passes through the parish, and there will be a station about 200 yards from the church. Holy Trinity church, erected in 1812, was demolished by faculty from the Bishop of Southwell, in March 1885 and the materials incorporated in a new church on a fresh site about 100 yards distant, the site of the old church being added to the burial ground. The new church of the same name, erected in 1885-6, at a total cost of £2,950, and consecrated by the Bishop of Southwell on June 23rd, 1886, is a building in the Early Decorated style, from designs by Mr. William Dawes, architect, of Manchester, and consists of chancel, nave, vestry, organ chamber, south porch and a tower at the north-east angle with octagonal broach spire, completed in 1889, and reaching a height of 89 feet: in the chancel is a picture removed from the old church, representing the "Adoration of the Magi;" and a tablet in memory of the late Rev. John Champion, for 30 years vicar of Edale; the stone pulpit and chancel screen were the gift of Mrs. W. N. Champion, and the font, a memorial to the late Rev. George Spurrier, a former incumbent, was presented by his relatives. The register, in part a copy of the original, dates from the year 1633. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £40, net yearly value £190, including 100 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of the trustees, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Francis Beresford Champion B.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1847. There are various charities for the poor. Here is a large cotton mill, and in the neighbourhood are several natural curiosities, including limestone caves at Castleton, and a Roman encampment on the top of Mam Tor, while the highest hills in Derbyshire flank the northern side. The principal landowners are the Duke of Devonshire K.G. Lord Scarsdale, George Shirt esq. John Fox Shirt esq. Mrs. Champion and W. N. Champion esq. of Cantley hall, Doncaster. The soil varies considerably in quality, but is chiefly cold and heavy, on Yoredale shale, and is chiefly devoted to hay and pasture. The area is 7,043 acres; rateable value, £3,011 ; the population in 1881 was 335.

GRINDSBROOK, half a mile north of the high road from Hope to Hayfield ; UPPER BOOTH, 2 miles west; BARBER BOOTH, 2 miles west-by-south ; NETHER or LADY BOOTH, 1½ miles east, are hamlets.

Parish Clerk, John Robert Burdikin.

POST & M. O. 0., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Grindsbrook.-Joseph Cooper, receiver. Letters from Sheffield, via Hope, arrive at I1 a.m. ; dispatched at 3.30 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Hope

LETTER BOX, Barber Booth, cleared at 2.30 p.m

Endowed School (mixed), founded by Mrs. Bowden, with an income of £12 yearly, augmented by other charities ; erected in 1868, for 66 children; average attendance, 35 ; William Naylor, master; Miss Ann Rowbottom, sewing mistress

CARRIER.-Joseph Cooper, to Sheffield, thurs. returns on sat. ; to Chapel-en-le-Frith tues

Champion Mrs. Grindslow
Champion Rev. Francis Beresford B.A., [vicar], Grindsbrook
Jowitt Albert Alsop, The Warren

Barnes Joseph, shopkeeper
Belfitt William, farmer
Bland George, farmer, Dale Head
Burdikin John Robert, Church inn, joiner, wheelwright & farmer
Burdikin William, farmer, Wood farm
Carrington Thos. farmr. Barber Booth
Carrington Jas. farmer, Barber Booth
Cooper Isaac, Nag's Head P.H. & farmer, Grindsbrook
Cooper Joseph, shopkeeper & carrier, Post office, Grindsbrook
Cooper Richard, farmer, Edale end
Critchlow Stephen, farmer, Nether Booth
Dearnaley George William, farmer & landowner, Ollerbrook
Elliott Elizh. (Mrs), farmer, Clough
Eyre Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Small Cleugh
Goddard James, farmer, Ollerbrook
Gregory Charles, farmer, Knowl
Hall Herbert, inspector of railway works, Cartledge
Hatfield Alfred, farmer, Orchard
Hatfield Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Crowden Lee
Hatfield William, farmer, Clough
Hatfield William, farmer, Upper Booth
Jackson Wm. manager at the Cotton mills
Lowe Catherine (Mrs.), farmer, Nether Booth
Lowe John, farmer, Harding Clough
Marrison Hannah (Mrs.), farmr. Hollins
Marrison Saml. shopkpr. Barter Booth
Marshall Thos. shoe maker, Grindsbrook
Pickford Samuel, farmer, Bactor
Procter John, farmer, Holt
Robinson George, farmer, Cotefield
Rowbottom John & Thomas, jun. joiners, Grindsbrook
Rowbottom Thos. farmer, Grindsbrook
Shirt John Fox, farmer & landowner, Highfield house
Shirt Geo. farmr. & landowner, Lea ho
Simpson John, stone mason, Grindsbrk
Somerset Thomas, lace thread & cotton doubler, Edale mills
Taylor Geo. blacksmith, Mill bottom
Tym Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Waterside
Tym John, farmer, Laurel Bank
Tym Joseph, farmer, Shaw wood
Tym Lemuel, farmer, Grindsbrook
Tym Nathan, farmer, Nether Booth
Tym Nicholas, farmer & landowner, Ollerbrook
Tym Thomas, farmer, Barber Booth

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Edale and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills