Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Eyam, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.205-206
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page

The Plague Cottages,

EYAM, a township, village and parish, 12 miles south-west from Sheffield, 5 east from Tideswell and 6 north from Bakewell, is in the Western division of the county, in the hundred of High Peak, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Bakewell, rural deanery of Eyam, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. Hassop is the nearest railway station, 5 miles south, but Miller's Dale, 7 south-west, is mostly resorted to for fast trains. Water is obtained from springs rising in the hills. The church of St. Helen, which stands nearly in the centre of the village, is a venerable-looking edifice of stone, surrounded by stately sycamore and elm trees, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with crocketed pinnacles at the angles, containing a clock and 4 bells, dating from 1628 to 1659: the nave arcades, as well as the eastern arch and belfry windows of the tower, are Decorated : the north clerestory windows are Perpendicular, but those on the south side debased work of the 17th century : a good many frescoes were brought to light during the restoration, but did not survive exposure: in the chancel is a brass inscription to Bernard Wells (1648) : there is a stained window to Mrs. Gregory, memorials to the Rev. Ralph Rigby, 22 years curate of Eyam, d. 1740, and to the Rev. Joseph Hunt, rector, d. 1709, and a brass to the Wright family, of Eyam Hall : the plain circular stone font, lined with lead, is probably Norman; another ancient font, supposed to be that used during the plague, has been placed in the church: the chancel, overgrown with ivy, and the tower were rebuilt about 1615; the church generally, with the exception of the south aisle, was again restored in 1868, when the north aisle was doubled in width and much of the chancel renewed : there are 400 sittings: on the south side of the church is an ancient stone cross, probably of the 9th or 10th century, curiously ornamented with symbolic devices and Runic and Scandinavian knotwork ; on the arms of the cross are figures of angels blowing trumpets, and in the centre a representation of the Virgin and Child; it is now firmly placed on a low base and stands about 8 feet high; it is said to have been found on the neighbouring hills, but owes its present state of preservation mainly to the intervention of John Howard, the famous philanthropist, who, when visiting the place about 1788, found it lying neglected in the churchyard: toward the north-east corner, beneath a fine elm tree, is an inclosed monument to Richard Furness, poet, born at Eyam 2 Aug. 1791, died at Dore 13 Dec. 1857: here also is buried William Wood, historian and antiquary, of Eyam, d. 27 June, 1865. The register dates from the year 1636. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £151, net yearly value £199, including 57 acres of glebe, with residence, in the joint gift of the Duke of Devonshire and Lord Hothfield, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Harry Joseph Freeman. There is a library in connection with the Sunday school, consisting of about 500 volumes. There is a Reformed Wesleyan chapel, built in 1812. Gisborne's charity provides about £7 for the poor of this parish. An object of great interest here is the tomb of Mrs. Mompesson, wife of William Mompesson, rector, who died during the terrible visitation of the plague in 1666, by which the village was almost depopulated ; the disease, it is said, was brought from London to Eyam in a box of clothes sent to a tailor, who resided near the church ; five-sixths of the inhabitants were carried off in a few months; the church and churchyard were closed and the dead buried in graves hastily dug in the gardens and fields ; divine service was performed by Mr. Mompesson during this period in a dell a short distance from the village, bounded on one side by craggy rocks and on the other overhung by trees, where he preached from a lofty perforated rock. Since called "Cucklet church," and now overgrown with ivy and enshrouded with bushes. One of the burying-places, in a field a quarter of a mile from the village, called "Riley Grave stones," was the burying-place of the Hancock and Talbot families, and their tomb-stones have just been (1890) renovated by Sir Henry James Burford-Hancock kt. governor of Gibraltar. During the continuance of the plague a line was drawn round the village, the neighbouring inhabitants bringing supplies of food and leaving them upon certain stones, afterwards returning for the value, which was deposited in a trough of spring water for purification; one of these places is still called Mompesson's Well. A memorial to Thomas Stanley, who resigned the living in 1662, but remained in the parish and assisted the Rev. W. Mompesson during the visitation of the plague, is now (1891) being erected here. The village, one of the most romantic and interesting in the Peak, is built on a series of caverns, some of which have been explored to a great extent, chiefly for the beautiful stalactite with which they abound. The scenery around is highly varied and picturesque: northward is a mountain range, nearly 600 feet in height above the level of the village, which itself is 800 feet above sea level, and which perfectly shelters the village from the northern winds: nearly in the centre of the township rises "Sir William," a hill 1,200 feet high, said to have been so named after Sir William Bagshawe, a royal physician, whose son was formerly rector of Eyam ; from the summit of this elevation the view extends over bleak moors and fruitful dales, and Axe Edge, Mam Tor and Kinderscout are seen rising in the distance. Near the village is a beautiful dell, called the "Rock Garden," or place of echoes. The moor, until its inclosure, was covered with Druidical remains ; one circle of Druidical stones more perfect than the rest, called "Wet Withins," is still visited, and near it are twelve smaller circles. Numerous urns, arrow heads, spears, axes, Roman coins and other remains of antiquity have been found; a barrow, yet unexplored, stands on Eyam Edge, and in the north part of the parish are numbers of cairns, barrows and mounds. The New Engine Mine here is by reputation the deepest in Derbyshire. A species of galena, called "Slickensides," is found in Hay Cliff Mine, possessed of very dangerous properties, a scratch with a pick or blow from a hammer being sufficient to explode the rocks to which it is found attached. The earthquake which destroyed Lisbon in 1755 was sensibly felt in this mine and others in Eyam Edge : these mines are at present closed. The chief industry of the place is the manufacture of boots and shoes. Miss Anna Seward, poetess, and daughter of the Rev. Thomas Seward, sometime rector of Eyam, was born here in 1747, and died at Lichfield, 25 March, 1809. Peter Cunningham, the poet, was Curate here for some time, but afterwards went to Chertsey, Surrey, where he died July, 1805. The Mechanics' Institute, opened in 1859, is a building of stone with a large portico, and has a reading room well supplied with the leading daily and weekly papers, periodicals &c. : a library containing about 3,000 volumes was established in 1821 ; the annual subscription is 6s. and there are about 50 members. Leam Hall, the property of Col. Robert Athorpe R.E. of 20 Westbourne street, London, and the residence of Thomas Booth esq. is about 2 miles north of the village. Eyam Hall, the seat of the Misses Wright, is a large Elizabethan mansion of stone. Some ancient records connected with the place, consisting of deeds, charters and matters relating to the manor and rectory, exist in the Wolley collection in the British Museum, and are found among the Add. MSS. 666 to 6691. The Duke of Devonshire, Earl Temple and Lord Hothfield are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Lord Denman, the Misses Wright, the Rev. Canon Chas. Sisum Wright M.A. rector of Stokesley, Yorks, CoI. Robert Athorpe, Charles Eyre Bradshaw Bowles esq. and Thomas Gregory esq. The soil is a light sandy loam; subsoil, limestone and sand. The chief crops are oats, and there is some pasture land. The acreage is 2,464; rateable value, £3,133; the population in 1881 was 1,038 in the township and 1,498 in the parish.

FOOLOW, 2 miles west, is an ancient village and township, chiefly inhabited by farmers. Here is a small mission church, built in 1889. In the centre of this village is a stone cross, and there is also a Reformed Methodist chapel. Lord Denman, the Rev. Canon C. S. Wright M.A. Benjamin Bagshaw esq. of Sheffield, the trustees of the late Samuel Bagshaw esq. Charles Eyre Bradshaw Bowles esq. and John Thornhill esq. are the principal landowners. The acreage is 986 ; rateable value, £990 ; the population in 1881 was 223.

EYAM WOODLAND, with Grindleford Bridge, is a township on the Sheffield road, where a stone bridge of 3 arches, on the road to Sheffield, crosses the Derwent ; it is two miles north-east from Eyam. Divine service is conducted every Sunday morning in the schoolroom at Grindleford Bridge : here is a Reformed Wesleyan chapel. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Duke of Rutland P.C., G.C.B. Col. Robert Athorpe R.E. Thomas Booth esq. E. A. J. Maynard esq. and the trustees of William Dixon esq. The acreage is 1,091 ; rateable value, £1,059; the population in 1881 was 237.

Parish Clerk, William Dane.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.-
Thomas Wilson Froggatt, receiver. Letters are received through Sheffield at 8.15 a.m. & dispatched at 5.25 p.m. Money orders are granted & paid from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m

POST OFFICE, Grindleford Bridge.-Miss Hannah Kenyon, receiver. Letters arrive through Sheffield at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.15 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid

SCHOOLS :- Endowed Church of England (mixed & infants) (the old school-room, built in 1826, is now disused), built in 1877 by subscription, for 200 boys & girls & 50 infants ; average attendance, 87 boys & girls & 30 infants ; Richard Owen, master; Miss Eliza Sutton, infants' mistress. The endowment consists of £500 left by Miss Rawson & rents of land in this parish & at Bradwell, the total income amounting to about £42 yearly

Grindleford Bridge (mixed), a stone building, built in 1876, for 80 children ; average attendance, 34 ; Miss Patrick, mistress: the Church of England service is conducted here every sunday morning.

OMNIBUSES TO :-Chesterfield, Joseph Robinson, sat. returning same day; Sheffield, Robert Cooper, tues. thurs. & sat. returning same days; Joseph Robinson, tues. returning same day

CARRIER TO SHEFFIELD.-Thomas Furness, tues. thurs. & sat. returning same days

[Names marked thus* receive letters through Hathersage.)

Armstrong Rev. Thomas [curate]
Booth Thomas, Leam hall
Bott Joseph Elton
Fentem Miss
Freeman Rev. Harry Joseph, Rectory
Froggatt William
Gregory Thomas, The View
Heathcote Thomas
Hicks George Sibley M.B., C.M
Hodgkinson Miss, Foolow
Ireland Edward
Leader John Daniel, Delview
Nixon William, Beech hurst
Thompson Misses
Townend Capt. John, Firs
Wright Misses, Eyam hall

Baggaley James, beer retailer
Bagshaw Benj. farmer, Bretton Clough
Bagshaw Frank, farmer, Bretton
Bagshaw James, farmer, Foolow
Bailey John, letter carrier
Bamford Wm. boot & shoe manufactr
Barnes Edmund, blacksmith
Bennett George, slater & plasterer
Birley Joseph, farmer, Foolow
Blackwell Robt. boot & shoe manufactr
Bland Jas. Foresters' Arms P.H. & farmer
Booth Thomas, tanner, Goatcliff brook
Bowers William, shopkeeper
Bramwell Jabez, tailor
Buckley Jeremiah, farmer, Windmill
Burdikin Benjamin, grocer, Foolow
Burdikin Joseph, farmer, Foolow
Cooper Abraham, farmer
Cooper Henry, farmer
Cooper Jas. shopkeeper & shoe maker
Cooper Robt. farmer & omnibus propr
Dane Uriah & Edward, carpenters
Dane William, carpenter
Daniel John, farmer & shoe maker
Davis Thomas, farmer, Foolow
Davis Thomas, jun. Bull's Head P.H. & farmer, Foolow
Drabble Benjamin, blacksmith
Drabble Benjamin, farmer, Foolow
Drabble John, farmer, Foolow
Elliott Ralph, farmer
Fletcher George, farmer & millstone merchant, Hollowbrook cottage
Fox Robert, farmer, Shepherd's flat
Frith Wm. wholesale boot & shoe mnfr
Froggatt & Son, drapers, grocers, millers (water) & druggists, Post office
Froggatt William, farmer, Foolow
Furness Catherine (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Furness James Edward, grocer, provision merchant, tea dealer & clothier
Furness Joseph, farmer
Furness Peter John, farmer
Furness Richard, farmer
Furness Thomas, farmer & carrier
Garlic John, farmer, Foolow
Gregory Albert, farmer & butcher
Gregory Thomas, shopkeeper
Hancock John, gamekeeper to Thomas Gregory esq. Stanedge house
Hancock Robert, butcher
Harrison Thomas Frederick, tailor, news agent & collector of income taxes & poor rates
Hattersley Sydney J. farmer & auctionr. Castle gate, Foolow
Heppenstall John, Rose & Crown P.H
Hicks George Sibley M.B., C.M. physician & surgeon
Ireland & Froggatt, wholesale boot & shoe manufacturers
Kenyon William, assistant overseer for Eyam-Woodland
Lee John, shopkeeper & farmer, Foolow
Longden Reuben, frmr. Bretton Clough
Maltby Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Eyam edge
Marples William, Miners' Arms P.H. & farmer & butcher
Mason Arthur, joiner & farmer, Foolow
Mechanics' Institute (Edwin Maltby, sec)
MelIor John, farmer, Foolow
Middleton John & James, farmers, Hazleford hall
Middleton Francis, Barrell P.H. Bretton
Middleton George, farmer, Foolow
Middleton Grace (Mrs.), farmer, Foolow
Middleton John, farmer, Foolow
*Middleton Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Hazleford
Moorhouse John, farmer, Bretton
Needham Samuel, farmer, Hanging flat
Outram Robert, fishery keeper, Leam
Palfreyman George, farmer
Palfreyman John, farmer, Foolow
Platts Thomas, shoe maker
Pursglove George, sen. farmer
Pursglove George, jun. farmer, Riley
Pursglove John William, butcher
Redfearn Francis, Spread Eagle P.H.& farmer, Foolow
Redfearn Joseph, farmer, Broster field
Redfearn Samuel, farmer, Broster field
Ridgway George, Bold Rodney P.H
Ridgway Brothers, wholesale ankle strap manufacturers
Robinson Charles, farmer
Robinson John, farmer
Robinson Jsph. Ball P.H. & omnibus prop
Sellars Samuel, boot & shoe manufactr
Shirley Harriet (Mrs.), farmer, Bretton
Simpson Jsph. farmer, Shepherd's park
Slinn Samuel, farmer
*Smith Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Hazleford
Taylor William, plasterer
Thompson William, Bull's Head P.H
Townsend Joseph, fmr. Bretton Clough
Townsend Wm. farmer, Bretton Clough
Turner Samuel, farmer, High cliff
Turner Samuel William, beer retailer
Unwin William & Francis, farmers & quarry owners
Unwin Arnaud, blacksmith
Wain Ralph, shopkeeper & silk weaver
*Walker Hannah (Mrs.), frmr. Hazelfrd
Walker Jn. Rippon, farmr. Rippon frm
West Edmund, who. boot & shoe maker
*White Abraham, farmer, Hazleford
White Frederick, stone mason
White Frederick, jun. stone mason
White George, shoe maker
Willis Daniel, shoe maker
Wragg Wm. Herbert, farmer, Crosslow
Wright John, farmer
Wright John, jnn. farmer & corn dealer
Youle Geo. wholesale shoe manufacturer
Young Alexander, farmer, Foolow
Young Arthur, farmer, Watergrove
Young George, farmer, Foolow
Young Joel, farmer, & assistant overseer for Foolow, Foolow
Young Wm. farmer, Houslea, Foolow
Young William Henry, farmer, Foolow

Grindleford Bridge.

Mower Misses
Muxlow Joseph

Andrew & Bromley, curriers & leather merchants
Bowring Thomas, shopkeeper
Bradshaw John, shopkeeper
Bramwell Edwin Scarth, farmer & landowner
Cooper George, saw mills
Gill Joseph, Commercial P.H. & farmer
Gill William, farmer
Godber Samuel, shopkeeper
Kenyon Hannah (Miss), shopkeeper, Post office
Kenyon Rebecca (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Kenyon William, brewers' agent
Outram Joe, Old Red Lion P.H
Outram Robert, farmer
Outram Thomas, farmer
Outram Tom, fishery keeper
Rollinson Joseph, quarry owner
Sellars Abraham, shopkeeper
Slinn Samuel, farmer
Smith Charles, nurseryman
Wainwright Joseph, farmer
Warhurst James, farmer
White Thomas, blacksmith
Wilson George, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Eyam and the surrounding area
Postcard of Eyam's Plague Cottages - no 2 of Railway Cards of Derbyshire Scenes
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills