Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Glossop (part) - the townships, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.210-211 & pp.217-218
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
Whitfield is a township, and in 1844 was formed into a parish ; it is 1 mile south from Glossop, and partly within the borough. This parish originally contained the whole of the townships of Chunal, Dinting and Hadfield, and parts of the townships of Glossop, Whitfield and Padfield, but it now comprises only the township of Chunal and parts of the townships of Glossop and Whitfield. The church of St. James is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and a western tower with spire and pinnacles containing 8 bells, added in 1884, and a clock placed in 1885 by Miss Wood, of Whitfield House ; the organ, erected in 1860, was enlarged in 1879 and 1880 : the brass eagle lectern was presented by Miss Wood, of Whitfield House, in 1882 ; and two stained windows have also been inserted to the memory of John, Daniel and Samuel Wood : there are 1,100 sittings, 550 being free. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £339, with residence, in the gift of the Wood family, and held since 1872 by the Rev. Charles Bruce Ward M.A. of Oriel College, Oxford, and rural dean of Glossop. The vicarage house, a stone building near the church, has been considerably enlarged since 1872. The Sumner Memorial Catholic church, Sumner street, dedicated to St. Mary, founded and endowed by the late Francis James Sumner esq. J.P., D.C.L. of Park Hall, Hayfield, and erected in 1887 by his heirs on a site granted by the late Lord Howard of Glossop, at a cost of about £17,000, including £5,000 for endowment, is an edifice of local stone in the Early English style, consisting of apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave of eight bays, aisles, side chapels, baptistery, south porch and an eastern turret with spire and ornamental finial, rising to a height of 90 feet and containing one bell : a very handsome stone screen separates the chancel from the side chapels : the altar and tabernacle are elaborately carved in alabaster, marble and Caen stone: the pulpit is entirely of Caen stone: the organ cost about £500: stations of the cross were added in 1889 at a cost of about £150: there are sittings for 900 persons. There is a Congregational chapel at Littlemoor, built in 1811, with 800 sittings ; and one at Mount Pleasant, built in 1868, with 600 sittings; the Free Methodist chapel, built in 1854, has 400 sittings, and the Wesleyan chapel, built in 1832 and enlarged 1885, 400 sittings. Littlemoor Congregational schools, Victoria street, erected in 1881 at a cost, including fittings, of about £3,000, form a building of stone in the Italian style, and will hold 700 scholars; the schools are also used for lectures and concerts and can be arranged so as to seat 1,000 persons: the front entrance, facing Victoria street, is surmounted by a turret 75 feet high. Lord Howard of Glossop is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The inhabitants are employed in the large cotton and paper mills just outside the township and in the bleach works within its boundaries. The soil is various ; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are oats, hay and pasture. The acreage is 1,577; rateable value, £15,178; the population in 1881 was 7,854.

CHARLESTOWN is a place here.
Sexton, Thomas Marsden.
WALL LETTER Box, cleared at 9.30 a.m. & 7 p.m

CHUNAL is a township, 2 miles south from Glossop and partly within that borough, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, parish, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Glossop, and in the ecclesiastical parish of Whitfield. The acreage is 885; rateable value, £668; the population in 1881 was 98.

Dinting is a township, and was formed into a parish in 1875 ; it is partly in the borough of Glossop and has a station on the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire railway, 11¾ miles from Manchester. The church of the Holy Trinity, erected by the Wood family of Glossop, and opened July, 1875, is a building of stone in the Gothic style of the 13th century, and consists of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, an organ chamber forming a transept on the south side, vestry and a tower at the west end of the south aisle, with pinnacles and an octagonal spire, reaching a height of 137 feet from the ground to the top of the vane, and containing 6 bells : the nave is divided from the aisles by circular stone piers, with moulded caps and bases : the pulpit of Caen stone and marble, was erected in memory of the patron and founder: the lectern is constructed of old oak from the old parish church of Bolton-le-Moors, and was presented by J. Hick esq.: the central window of the apse is a memorial to John H. Wood esq. (d. 16 Dec. 1869), and was placed by his widow; the font, also presented by Mrs. Wood, consists of a basin of Caen stone on a shaft of red marble : the organ was presented by Mrs. Wood in 1882: the building has sittings for 630 persons, 90 of which are free. The register dates from the year 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £298, with residence, in the gift of the Wood family, and held since 1882 by the Rev. William John Canton. There is a Methodist New Connexion chapel, built in 1860, with sittings for 300 persons, 100 of which are free. The area is 586 acres; rateable value, £7,307; the population in 1881 was 2,715.
WALL LETTER Box cleared at 8.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. & on sundays at 5.15 p.m

BROOKFIELD is a hamlet 1 mile north of Dinting station. Here is a cotton mill. The Congregational chapel, erected in 1883, is a building of stone in the Early English style: all the windows are stained.

GAMESLEY is a hamlet 1 mile west of Dinting station. In the hamlet of Gamesley are the remains of a Roman camp, called by the country people from time immemorial "Melandra" and "Melandra Castle; " it stands on a bold eminence at the confluence of the Course Brook and the Etherow, and traces of walls and gates may be plainly discerned : tablets inscribed to Roman emperors, coins of the Emperor Domitian, a large sword and other objects of archaeological interest have been found here: the summit is still called "The Castle Yard," and a tradition exists that Melandra was one of the strongholds of the ancient British in the time of the Saxon invasion. On an opposite hill, called "Mousley," is the site of another traditional castle. Some stones which came from Mousley Castle, inscribed with rude hieroglyphics, are still to be seen walled into the gable end of a house at Hadfield, and are evidently Runic. Both Melandra and Mousley lie on the Roman road from the camp of Mancunium (Manchester) to that of Ad Petuariam (Brough, near Castleton).

Hadfield is a township and in 1875, together with the chapelry of Padfield, was formed into a parish ; it is on the borders of Cheshire, within the borough of Glossop and county court district of Glossop, 2 miles north-west from Glossop, with a station on the Manchester and Sheffield railway. The church of St. Andrew, erected at a cost of about £4,250 and consecrated July 4th, 1874, is a building in the Gothic style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, south transept, baptistery, organ chamber and a central bell turret containing one bell : the font, worked in native stone, was presented in 1874 by Mr. James Sherriff, of Christ Church, Canterbury, New Zealand, and formerly of Hadfield, and had previously been exhibited at the Colonial exhibition, Victoria : the richly-embroidered communion cloth was presented by the Rev. C. B. Ward M.A. vicar of Whitfield and the credence table by Mr. Braddock, churchwarden : a new organ was erected in 1879, at a cost of about £650, by James Sidebottom esq. J.P. of Millbrook, Hadfield, as a memorial to his wife; there are 538 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from July 5th, 1874, and of marriages from August, 1875. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £265, in the gift of five trustees, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Joseph Hadfield, of St. Bees. The Catholic church, dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo, is an edifice of stone, in the Early English style, erected in 1858 by the late Lord Howard of Glossop, and consisting of nave, aisles, sacristy, baptistery and a western tower containing one bell, a memorial to the late Father McDonnell: the beautifully carved high altar of stone was erected in memory of the late Father Hickey: in the church are several figures carved in stone and many valuable oil paintings, one of these, a copy of Raphael's "Transfiguration," being placed above the high altar : the church contains several monuments of the Howard family. Adjoining is a presbytery, occupied by the Very Rev. Canon Hermann J. Sabela, priest. The convent of Sisters of Charity of St. Paul, a fine building, was erected in 1887 on the south side of the church, at the cost of John Dalton esq. of Rose Bank, Hollingworth. The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1878, has 713 sittings; the Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1876, has 500 sittings; the Free Methodist chapel, built in 1876 and enlarged in 1885, seats 280. There are several cotton mills, in which the population are employed, and political clubs with news and amusement rooms. Hadfield Hall, the ancient mansion of the Hadfields of Hadfield, dating from 1646, has been converted into a couple of cottages; some years ago the handsome black oak carving was taken down and erected in a farm house on the Glossop estate. The township contains 357 acres; rateable value, £9,749; the population in 1881 was 5,934.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity Office. -Squire Garlick, postmaster.-Letters received via Manchester. Delivery, 7.15 a.m. 3 & 5.15 p.m.; dispatch, 10.20 a.m. 1 & 7.20 p.m.; sunday, dispatched 7.15 p.m. Money orders granted & paid & savings bank business transacted from 9 a. m. till 6.30 p.m.; on saturdays till 8 p.m. WALL LETTER Boxes :-Hadfield cross, cleared 7.50 a.m. & 5.45 p.m.; Station road, cleared 7.40 a.m. & 5.30 p.m

Padfield, adjoining Hadfield station, 1½ miles north-west from Glossop and partly within that borough, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, parish, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Glossop, is included in the ecclesiastical parish of St. Andrew's, Hadfield. The Wesleyan chapel, erected with Sunday school in 1880 at a cost of £2,000, will seat 400 persons. The population are employed in the cotton mills. The acreage is 643; rateable value, £17,855 ; the population in 1871 was 1,687, and in 1881 2,485.
Letters through Manchester via Hadfield arrive at 6.45 a.m. 3 & 5 p.m. WALL LETTER Box cleared at 8 a. m. & 6 p.m

Brookfield.

Stapley Charles Woffenden
Aldous Henry, shopkeeper
Lyne George, shopkeeper
McMath John, grocer
Moss Joseph, news agent
Robinson William, farmer
Rowbottom Alfred, Royal Oak P.H. & monumental mason
Shephard Charles, shopkeeper
Shephard George, draper
Shepley John & William Lim. Cotton spinners & manufrs. Brookfield mills
Wilson Sarah (Mrs.), milliner

Chunal.

Bann George, farmer, Monks' road
Bann Jsph. farmer, Hollingworth head
Goddard Wm. Grouse inn, & farmer
Hadfield John, farmer
Nield Edwin, farmer
Robinson Sarah Ann (Miss), farmer
Shepley William, farmer
Shotwell James, farmer
Wood John, farmer

Dinting.

Barr John, Dinting lodge
Canton Rev. William John, Vicarage
Hollingworth Samuel, Simmondley lane
Lawton Mrs. Simmondley lane
Pilkington William
Sheppard William, Simmondley lane
Sykes William, Simmondley lane

COMMERCIAL.

Bradbury George, grocer
Charlesworth Frederick, Junction inn
Fielding George Raffald, butcher
Ford Samuel, farmer
Hadfield Charles, cashier at Messrs. E. Potter & Co.'s print works
Harrison Abel, coal & cannel factor, Railway station; & at Glossop
Nield Betty (Mrs.), Plough inn
Platt George, farmer
Platt Thomas, farmer
Potter Edmund & Co. calico printers ; warehouse, 10 Charlotte st. Manchestr
Potter Edmund & Co. soap manufctrs.; warehouse, 10 Charlotte st. Manchestr
Roberts Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Smith Samuel, Viaduct inn
Waterhouse Sarah (Mrs.), farmer & lime dealer
Wild John, farmer
Wood James, clogger

Gamesley.

COMMERCIAL.

Blackburn Isaac, shopkeeper
Booth Samuel, farmer
Clayton Samson, farmer
Garlic John, shopkeeper
Harrison James, farmer
Hinchliffe James, Magnet inn, & farmer
Marsden Moses, farmer
Middleton William, grocer
Oldroyd Timothy, farmer & contractor
Thornley Andrew, farmer
Thornley Jas.(representatives of), farmrs
Sykes John & Thomas Beard, slaters & plasterers
Turner James, farmer & greengrocer

Hadfield.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Buckley Henry, Bross croft
Butterworth Henshaw, Kent villa
Dawson William, Tnowl house
Eastham James Cook, The Thorns
Hadfield Rev. Joseph [vicar]
Luke Usher
Martin Rev. Joseph Amor [curate]
Platt Edward
Platt Mrs. Greenfield cottage
Rhodes Wm. Shepley J.P. Mersey bank
Ridgway James, Green lane
Rigge Fletcher, Lockley house
Sabela Very Rev. Canon Hermann Jos. [Catholic]
Sargentson William, Bross croft
Shaw John, Kent villa
Somers Noble
Walsh Benjamin, Hadfield road
Whelan John Joseph, Hadfield road
White William M.D. Hadfield road

COMMERCIAL.

Abram Jas. fancy goods dlr. 127 Statn. rd
Aldous Jane (Miss), shopkeeper, 170 Hadfield road
Aldous Thomas, window blind manufacturer, Hadfield road
Aldous Wm. farmr. & shopkpr. Main rd
Ashton William, grocer, 58 Main road
Atkinson William, grocer, Church st
Bailey Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Platt st
Barker William, grocer & farmer, Hadfield road
Barlow William, beer retailer, 343 Hadfield road
Battey Daniel, draper, 90 Station road
Battey John, draper, 96 Station road
Belfield Edwd. Anchor inn, Hadfield rd
Bell James, clogger, 31 Station road
Bennett Mark, grocer, 117 Station road
Bennett Thomas, draper & furniture dealer, Station road
Bennett Wm. shopkeeper, 49 Waterside
Bentham Jane (Mrs.), stationer, 47 Station road
Bintcliffe Jn. fishmonger, 17 Station rd
Booth Henry, butcher, 119 Station road
Booth Hinchcliffe, stationer & news agent, 82 Station road
Booth Joe, beer retailer, Waterside
Booth Mary (Miss), shopkpr. Waterside
Braddock Thos. & Co. gros. 111 Station rd
Bradshaw James, grocer, 42 Hadfield rd
Bramhall Jn. coal merchant, Station yard
Bratherton Richard, station master
Briggs Susan (Mrs.), confctr. 7 Station rd
Britland John Thomas, confectioner, 94 Station road
Broadbent Elizabeth Ann (Miss), confectioner, 97 Station road
Broadbent Ellen (Mrs.), shopkeeper & farmer, 52 Bross croft
Broadbent Saml. confectioner, 14 Platt st
Broadbent Zilpha (Miss), shopkeeper, 72 Bross croft
Brook Edwin, hair dresser, Bankbottom
Brook Furness, draper, 13 Station road
Brown Mary Jane (Mrs.), fishmonger, 134 Station road
Butterworth Henshaw, grocr. Waterside
Chadwick Wm. Thos. pawnbro. Station rd
Challoner Hannah (Mrs.), grocer, 21 Station road
Challoner John, shopkpr. 31 Padfield la
Challoner Saml. coal mer. 21 Station rd
Challoner Samuel, grocer
Charlton Emest, inspector of police, Albert street
Consumers' Tea Co. (Ollerenshaw & Co. proprietors), 39 Station road
Corker Wm. Commercial inn, Bankbtm
Cox John, draper & photographer, 109 Station road
Crannage Fredk. watch ma. 5 Station rd
Crawford David, Palatine & Railway hotel, Station road
Crossland John, shopkpr. 82 Brass croft
Dane Laura (Miss), dress ma. Hadfield rd
Darwent Luke, farmer, Bettin hill
Dawson Wm. plmbr. & paintr. Station rd
Dearnley David, beer ret. Woolley bridge
Dewsnap John, farmer, Hadfield cross
Dewsnap Wm. butcher, 1A, Station rd
Dickinson Jas. hair dresser, 33 Station rd
Downing William, tea dealer, Station rd
Duckworth Samuel, blacksmith, 36 Station road
Duckworth Tom, auctionr. 36 Bank st
Earnshaw Abrhm. hutchr.43 Station rd
Earnshaw Sarah Jane (Mrs.), fried fish shop, Woolley Bridge road
Elliott Morton Walker, draper & outfitter, Station road
Equitable Co-operative Society Lim. (James Harwood, sec. ; Chas. Loxley, treasurer), Station rd. & Woolley bridge
Eversden George, draper, 72 Station rd
Eversden George Cooper, greengrocer, 110 Station road
Eversden William, grocer, Bank street
Eversden William, grocer, 102 Waterside
Farnsworth Ann (Miss), greengrocer, 42 Station road
Fielding Ann (Miss), confctr. 7 Bank btm
Fielding Harold, farmer, Mouseley farm
Fielding Saml. provsn. dlr. 1 Station rd
Firth Edward, shopkpr. Woolley bridge
Fowden Thomas, shopkeeper, 335 & 337 Hadfield road
Furniss Brook, draper, 13 Station road
Furniss Brook, fried fish dlr. Station rd
Garlick Hugh, shopkeeper, 20 Station rd
Garlick Squire, postmaster
Gill Wright, grocer & quarry owner, 49 Station road
Goddard Abel, confctnr. 76 Station rd
Goddard Elizabeth (Mrs.), milliner, 103 Station road
Greaves William, baker, Station road
Greenwood Lewis, shpkpr. 48 Station rd
Hadfield & Hollingsworth Coal Co. (George Hutchinson, sec)
Hadfield Conservative Club Co. Limited (James Chair, sec)
Hadfield Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 84 Station road
Hadfield Equitable Co-operative Society, 60 Station rd
Hadfield Liberal Club (Frederick Broadbent, sec)
Haigh Wm. boot & shoe ma. 9 Station rd
Hampshire William, ironmonger, plumber & tinman, 51 Station road
Hampson Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 118 Station road
Harding George, shoe maker, 238 Woolley Bridge road
Hardy Wm. greengrocer, 12 Bank st
Harrison Abel, coal & cannel factor, Station yard
Harrop Hugh, tailor, 40 Station road
Hill Harriet (Mrs.),shopkr. 135 Statn. rd
Hinchcliffe Thomas John, stationer & news agent, 1A, Railway street
Holbrook Jn. fried fish dlr. Station rd
Holland Isaac, shopkeeper, 13 Bross croft
Holland Isaiah, greengrcr. 73 Bross croft
Holland Joseph, tailor, clothier & outfitter, ''The Exchange," 123 Station rd
Howarth Geo. Frdk. drapr. 62 Station rd
Howarth Moses, confectnr. 89 Station rd
Hoyland Miriam (Mrs.), ironmonger, Station road
Hudson Jn. Green, saddlr. 45 Station rd
Ingle Brothers, iron & tinplate workers, 154 Station road
Irish National League Club (Patrick Welch, sec.), 32 Bank bottom
Jakeman Albt. news agent,150 Station rd
Japson Mary (Mrs.), shpkpr.80 Bross croft
Johnson Thos. coal merchant, Station
Jolley Kezia (Mrs.), Spinners' Arms P.H. Marsden street
Kenyon Nancy (Mrs.), drpr. 37 Station rd
Kirk Thomas, farmer, Park road
Lee Amanda (Miss) grocer, Woolley Bridge road
Livesley Squire, draper, 101 Station rd
Loxley John, farmer, Hadfield cross
Luke Usher, surgeon
McDermott Hugh, shopkpr. 32 Bankbtm
McDermott Patrick, drapr. 33 Bankbtm
McGarratty Wm. Jn. shopkpr. Waterside
McMath Henry, shopkpr. 35B, Bankbtm
McMath William, furniture dealer, & highway rate collector & inspector of nuisances to the rural sanitary authority, 30 Bank street
Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co. Limited, bankers, Station rd
Marsden Alfd. shpkpr. Woolley Bridge rd
Martin Wm. Alf. draper, 108 Station rd
Mason William James, boot & shoe maker, Station road
Mattrick Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 110 Station road
Miller Thos. & Co. grocrs. Woolley brdg
Miller Thomas, grocer, Woolley bridge
Mitchell Julian, surg.-dent. 83 Station rd
Morrison Hannah (Mrs.), dress maker, Osborne street
Nelson Samuel, tailor, 74 Station road
Newton Amos, butcher, 3 Station road
Newton Samuel. watch & clock maker & general dealer, 103 Station road
Oldfield Elizabeth (Mrs.), Spread Eagle P.H. Woolley bridge
Patchett Henry, brick maker & butcher, 32 Station road
Pickford Lot, greengrocer, 113 Station rd
Platt Edward & Son, cotton manufactrs
Platt Joe, butcher, 19 Bross croft Padfield
Pratt James, Victoria P.H. Bross croft
Proctor Robert, chemist, 15 Station rd
Public Weighing Machine (Edwin Rothwell, weigher), Station yard
Rayner Herbert, butcher, 69 Station rd
Rhodes Thomas Limited, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Mersey mills ; (George Hutchinson, sec) & 42 George street, Manchester
Rhodes James, surgeon, Railway street
Rigge Fletcher, cashier at T. & W. Sidebottom's, Waterside mills
Roberts George William, cabinet maker, 54 Bank street
Robinson Alonzo, beer ret. 41 Station rd
Rockwood Thomas, coal mer. Station yd
Rogers Saml. shopkpr. Woolley bridge
Rogers Wm. Thos. tailor, 35 Station rd
Roworth Henry, hay & straw mer. Cross
Seales & Sons, boot mas. 125 Station rd
Scholes James, butcher, 39 Railway st
Sheppard Robert, draper, 29 Station rd
Shortland Jn. Thos. baker, 148 Station rd
Shufflebotham Joseph, clogger, 1A, Station road
Sidebottom T. & W. cotton spinners & manufrs. Waterside mills & Bridge mills; & 20 Pall mall, Manchester
Sidebottom Henry, builder, Railway st
Sidebottom John, cattle dlr. Hadfield rd
Stearne Peter, hardware dlr. 65 Station rd
Sutton Thomas, stone mason, 168 Station road
Swire John, clogger, Woolley bridge
Tatlow Hy. watch maker, 27 Station rd
Taylor Abel, hair dresser & shopkeeper, 29 Station road
Thornley Deborah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 79 Station road
Thorniley Jas. chemist, 315 Hadfield rd
Thornley Taylor, coal merchant, 95 Station road
Thorpe Walter, coal merchant, Station yd
Torkington Charles Henry, tripe dresser, 53 Station road
Torkington William, corn & flour dealer & family grocer, 19 Station road
Toulson William, draper & outfitter, 77 Station road
Turner Wm. wheelwright, Station road
Wadsworth Len, farmer & beer retailer, 78 Station road
Wadsworth Tim, hay & straw dealer, Railway street
Wain John, shopkeeper, Hadfield road
Walker Elliott Morton, draper, 105 & 107 Station road
Warhurst Martha, Harriet & Ellen, confectioners, 126 Station rd
Warhurst Caleb, joiner & builder, 146 Station road
Warhurst Enoch, joiner, Station road, Green lane
Whelan John Joseph, surgeon
White William M.D., C.M. physician, Hadfield road
Wilde Jn. blacksmith,73 & 75 Station rd
Wildgoose William, grocer, Waterside
Willis Charles, boot & shoe maker, 131 Station road
Winterbottom Robert, registrar to burial board, Cemetery lodge
Wood Samuel, grocer, 23 Station road
Wood Thos. refrsht. rooms, 152 Station rd
Woodcock Matthew, boot & shoe maker, 44 Station road
Woodhead Mary (Mrs.), news agent, 22 Bank street
Woods Jas. Joseph, shopkpr. 14 Albert st
Woolley Edward, butcher, Woolley bdg
Woolley Geo. butcher, 104 Station road
Worsley Arthur, joiner, 42 Bross croft
Worsley Henry, shopkeeper & commission agent, 41 Bross croft
Worth Henry, draper, 121 Station road
Wynn Patrick, tripe sellr. 34 Station rd
Youles Robert, shopkeeper, Woolley bdg

Padfield.

Handforth James
Platt Edward
Platt William, Padfield brook
Sargentson James, Padfield house
Sargentson James, Rosey Bank house
Sargentson James, jun

COMMERCIAL.

Bennett Joseph, farmer, Brook farm
Bland Robert, farmer, Deep Clough
Booth Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 57 Platt street
Booth Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 113 Main road
Broadbent Samuel, farmer & shopkeeper
Crossland John, farmer, Deep Clough
Cundy William, shopkeeper
Dearnley Eli, shopkeeper
Equitable Co-operative Society Limited, James Harwood, secretary; Charles Loxley, treasurer)
Fielding Mary & Ellen (Misses), drapers & confectioners
Fielding William, grocer
Gee James Albert, farmer, Torside
Goddard Jabez Solomon, farmer, Little Padfield
Greaves William, baker
Greenwood Henry,farmer & tripe dresser
Hall Sarah (Miss), farmer
Handforth James, cashier at Messrs. Thomas Rhodes & Son, Hadfield mills
Holland Jane (Mrs.), laundress, Post st
Hoyle Joseph, farmer
Jackson John, farmer
Jackson Thomas, farmer, Old House
Jacobs Charles, beer retailer
Littlewood Samuel, drysaltr. 27 Post st
Mapp Charles, carrier
Maulkinson H. G. collector of general rates to the corporation, Post st
Mayhew John, draper, Post street
Oldfield Mark, farmer, Deep Clough
Padfield Liberal Club (Richard Clayton, sec.), 109 Hadfield road
Phair Betty (Mrs.), Peel's Arms P.H
Platt Edward & Son, cotton manufctrs
Platt Joe, butcher
Pogson Samuel, clogger
Pratt James, beer retailer
Rhodes Thomas & Son, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Hadfield mills; & 42 George street, Manchester
Riley Ellen (Miss), shopkeeper
Roberts William Robinson, farmer, Windy arbor
Robinson Ellen (Mrs.), farmer
Sargentson James, cotton waste dealer & blowing manufacturer
Scholes James, quarry owner
Sidebottom James, shopkeeper
Smith Walter, news agent, 16 Platt st
Wild Walter, grocer
Woods Joseph, draper, 49 Platt street
Worth Henry, draper & tailor


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Glossop and its townships and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills