Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Hartington, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.220 - 221
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page


Hartington Old Hall


HARTINGTON is a parish, consisting of four townships, namely, MIDDLE, UPPER, NETHER and TOWN QUARTERS, of which Upper Hartington includes the hamlet of BURBAGE. The Middle Quarter and a portion of the Upper have been formed into the ecclesiastical parish of EARL STERNDALE, and will be found in this book under letter E. Burbage, another portion of the Upper Quarter, has also been formed into an ecclesiastical parish, which will be found under the head of Burbage. The Nether Quarter has been formed into the ecclesiastical parish of Biggin, and will be found under that heading. Hartington gives the title of Marquis to the Dukes of Devonshire.

Hartington Town Quarter is a township, in the parish of Hartington, on the borders of Staffordshire, 11 miles south-south-east from Buxton, 10 north-west from Ashborne, and 9½ south-west from Bakewell, in the Western division of the county, Ashborne union, petty sessional division and county court district, Wirksworth hundred, Buxton rural deanery, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. A bridge over the Dove connects Derbyshire with Staffordshire. The Cromford and High Peak railway runs through this large parish from south to north. The church of St. Giles is a stone building of the 12th century, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, transepts and a western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 3 bells: the church has four piscinæ : there is a brass to Ann Ratcliffe (1770), and monuments to Sir Hugh Bateman bart. of Hartington Hall, d. 8 Jan. 1824, and to Richard Bateman esq. of Middleton Hall, d. 1761 : a memorial window was erected by John Sleigh esq. in 1859: the reredos, of Derbyshire marbles, was erected in memory of Mr. Flint: the stained east window of the south transept is a memorial to the Rev. Augustus Wirgman, for 19 years vicar or the parish, and to Jane Elizabeth his wife: in 1858 the church was restored by subscription, at a cost or nearly £1,000 and the bells were renewed in 1884: there are 400 sittings, all free. The register dates from the year 1538, but until 1650 is very incomplete, and in a dilapidated state. The living is a vicarage, with residence, net yearly value £281, derived from 238 acres of glebe land, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire K. G. and held since 1875 by the Rev. James Hardy Andrew M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge ; the Rev. William Fyldes M.A. of Lincoln College, Oxford, is curate in charge. The vicarage house was built in 1857 at a cost of £1,400. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, with a Sunday school. The charities left in 1704 by Richard Edensor, in 1840 by Thomas Bateman, in 1853 and 1861 by Charles Flint and in 1873 by Edmond Goodwin, amount collectively to £45 yearly value. Ores of different metal are found here, which, however, are little worked, owing to the want of railways. Hartington Hall, now a boarding house, was built in 1611 by Hugh Bateman and is in a good state of preservation, having been restored in 1862 by the father of the present owner, F. O. F. Bateman esq. of Breadsall Mount, Derby. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. who is lord of the manor, Philip Beresford-Hope esq. of Bedgebury Park, Kilndown, Kent and John Sleigh esq. J.P., of Eversley, are the principal landowners. The area of the township is 3,637 acres; rateable value, £4,412; and the population in 1881 was 429.

Parish Clerk, Jarvis Phillips.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- George Herbert Sutton, receiver. Letters received from Ashborne at 9.35 a.m; dispatched at 3.30 p.m. week days only. Telegraph office open on sundays from 8 till 10 a.m

Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regiment) 2nd Volunteer Battalion (1 Company) Capt. J. Sheldon, commandant

National School (mixed), erected in 1866 & enlarged in 1874-5, with master's house, at a cost of about £750, for 100 children; average attendance, 63; Charles Edmond, master ; Miss Hannah Mary Edmond, sewing mistress

CARRIER TO :-
ASHBOUNE-Henry Sleigh, every saturday
BUXTON-William Belfield, every saturday
LEEK-Henry Sleigh, every wednesday, returning same day
An omnibus leaves here for Buxton & Ashborne on saturdays at 8.30 a. m. & on wednesdays, for Leek, at 8.30 a.m

Hartington Upper Quarter is a township, adjoining Buxton, portions of which have been taken into the ecclesiastical parishes of Earl Sterndale and Burbage respectively and it forms the north-west extremity of the parish, in the Western division of the county, Wirksworth hundred, Ashborne petty sessional division, and in the union and county court district of Chapel-en-le-Frith. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. owns nearly the whole of this township. At Painer's Pool bridge, near Black Clough, 4½ miles from Buxton, the counties of Derby, Chester and Stafford meet. Axe Edge is a mountainous height, in this township, 1,756 feet above the level of the sea, in which the rivers Dove, Wye, Dane and Goyt have their source, these streams flow in different directions, the Goyt and Dane falling into the Mersey, and the Dove and Wye joining the Humber. At Brierlow (or Briarlow), about 3 miles from Buxton, a large cairn or barrow was opened in 1845, about 20 yards in diameter; in the centre, upon the level of the natural surface, were found a skeleton of large size, a bronze dagger in excellent preservation, some burnt human bones, small piece of an urn, and a quantity of bones of rats. The area of the township, with the hamlet of Burbage, is 10,311 acres, of which about one-third are common and heath, being principally on gritstone, the inclosed land being mostly on limestone; rateable value, £12,341; the population of the township of Hartington Upper Quarter in 1811 as 1,695 and in 1881, 2,174.

Hartington Town Quarter.

Driver William
Freebororough John
Fyldes Rev. William M.A. [curate in charge], Vicarage
Mellors Mrs
Orford William

COMMERCIAL.
Adams Herbert, baker
Allen Martha (Mrs.), farmer, Moat hall
Belfield Francis, shopkpr. & beer retailer
Birch James, farmer
Bradbury William, wheelwright
Broadhurst Jonathan, farmer
Broomhead Robert, farmer
Burnett John, farmer, Bank top
Clarke Francis, farmer
Critchlow George, farmer
Critchlow Joshua, farmer, Coats fields
Critchlow Thomas, farmer
Fosbrooke John Edward, shopkeeper
Gibbs John, farmer, Wolfscote
Gibbs William, farmer, Wolfscote
Grindey John, farmer, Burnt cliff
Harrison William, Red Lion P.H
Housley George, farmer, Custard fields
Housley Thomas, farmer, Parsley hay
Kavanagh John, smallware dealer
Kirkham Brothers, farmers
Lomas Adolph, veterinary surgeon
Lomas Richard, carpenter
Lowe George, blacksmith
Mycock William, farmer
Nadin John, farmer, Parson's farm
Needharn Peter, shopkeeper
Oliver Harold, Charles Cotton hotel (family, commercial & posting house)
Oliver James, farmer & auctioneer
Palfreyman Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Peach Joseph, tailor
Percival Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Percival Jn.Richd. Devonshire Arms P.H
Percival Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Presbury William, shoe maker Reading Room (J. Oliver, sec)
Salt Walter, farmer
Shephard John Henry, tinman
Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regiment) 2nd Volunteer Battalion(1 Co.) (Capt. J. Sheldon, commandant; C. P. Finney, lieut. ; William Sturgeon, sergeant instructor)
Shirley George, farmer
Sleigh Henry, farmer & carrier
Stone William, saddler
Sutton Geo. Herbt. shoe maker, Post off
Sutton William, farmer, Ball foot
Swaffield Benj. Jn. frmr. Pilsbury grnge
Wager Andrew, farmer, Moor farm
Wain John, blacksmith
Wardle John Francis, private boarding house for families, tourists, anglers &c. (free fishing)
Weston Joseph, farmer, Whim
Wilton John, farmer
Wilton Joseph, farmer
Wooley Joseph, farmer
Yates George, farmer

Hartington Upper Quarter.

Bagshaw George, farmer, Dowlow
Bagshaw William, farmer, Beet farm
Bennett Samson, farmer, Round Knowles
Carrington Thomas, farmer, Greenside
Finney William, farmer, Harley
Heathcote James, farmer, The Jumbles, Brownside
Hill John &Francis, farmers, Hillhead
Johnson Thomas, farmer, Black Clough
MelIor John, farmer, Brand
Mortin Maria (Mrs.), farmer, Brierlow
Mycock Stephen, farmer, Great low
Mycock Thomas, farmer, Dowlow
Nadin John, farmer, How green
Skidmore John, farmer, Brierlow bar
Staden John, farmer, Fairthorn
Staden Thomas, farmer, Ox house
Wain Alice (Mrs.), farmer, Hollins
Wain Rachel (Mrs.), farmer, Booth
Ward David, farmer, Gutter
Wardle Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Dovehead
Wardle James, farmer, Fough
Wardle Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Barn
Wardle William, farmer, Lee Cote
Wheeldon George, farmer, Hopping
Wain John, farmer, Thirkelow
Wood William, farmer, Heathfield nook


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Hartington and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills