Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Hope, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.232-233
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
HOPE is a village, township and parish, on the Peveril and Noe rivers, the latter of which is crossed by a stone bridge of two arches, 8 miles east from Chapel-en-le-Frith, 12 north from Bakewell, 6 north from Tideswell, 15 west from Sheffield and 9 miles north from Millers Dale station on the Ambergate and Manchester section of the Midland railway, and the Dore and Chinley railway now (1891) in course of construction will pass near the village ; the parish includes the townships of Aston, Thornhill, Brough and Shatton, Offerton, Stoke, Fernilee, Nether Padley and the Lordship of Highlow, and is in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, Chapel-en-le-Frith union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Eyam, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Peter, standing on a slight elevation by the road side near to the River Noe, and nearly surrounded by large sycamore and lime trees, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with a squat broach spire, containing a clock and 6 bells, all cast in 1733 : the chief characteristics of the exterior are Perpendicular, the outer walls of the clerestory, transepts and choir being surmounted by embattled parapets, with occasional crocketed pinnacles : the south porch with its parvise is also of this date: to the Decorated period belong the nave arcades, which have lofty octagonal piers and capitals of the same shape : the chancel retains a single piscina with trefoiled head and three sedilia of the same date: the only remnant of an older building is a piscina in the south aisle, which may be regarded as Early English : the whole church, excepting the tower and spire, seems to have been rebuilt about the beginning of the I4th century : in the east window of the south aisle is a shield with the arms of Gell, and in the north aisle is another with those of Eyre : the pulpit, of Carved oak, bears date 1652 : the font is a massive octagon of the 14th century : the church plate is dated 1711: there is a brass against the north chancel wall to Henry Balguy, of Hope Hall, ob. I7 March, 1685, with his arms and effigy in pointed hat, doublet and breeches : on the oaken panelling of the chancel, originally forming parts of old pews, are the dates 1581 and 1652, with others down to 1690 : the stained west window is a memorial to the late Joseph Nicholson, of Sheffield and Brough : the church (with the exception of the chancel, restored in 1881) was completely restored in 1887, at an outlay of £2,050, the expense being defrayed by Edward Firth esq. of Birchfield ; the floor has been lowered to the original level, and the church reseated in oak from the old pews, and the fine oaken roof opened and renovated. The register, which is in good condition, dates from the year 1559. The living is a discharged vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £93, gross yearly value £250, including 10 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, and held since 1871 by the Rev. Henry Buckston M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. In the vicarage grounds there remains the stem of an ancient cross of sandstone about 7 feet high, profusely carved with interlaced work and foliage: a range of 6 stone steps, once supporting a cross, still exists near the church porch. Here is a Methodist chapel built in 1855. Gisborne's charity, amounting to £6 12s. 11d. is distributed in clothing, and there is also a sum of £8 17s. 4d. for the education of a few poor children. A market for cattle is held the last Wednesday in every month, and a fair for cattle on the 13th of May. The Hope Valley Agricultural Society also holds its annual exhibition here. It is said that there was a castle here in the time of Edward I and that John Plantagenet or de Warrenne, Earl of Warren and Surrey, was appointed governor in that reign. Birchfield, the seat of Edward Firth esq. is a substantially built stone house, which has been several times enlarged, and is surrounded by very extensive grounds; it is situated on the southern slopes of Win hill, and commands unrivalled views of the picturesque scenery in the neighbourhood. The trustees of the late Joseph Hall esq. are lords of the manor of Hope, and the Duke of Devonshire K.G. of the hamlets. The principal landowners are Edward Firth esq. Robert How Ashton esq. J.P. of Castleton, and the trustees of the late Colonel Charles Leslie K.H. (d. 1870). The soil is sandy loam; subsoil, red gravel. The chief crop is hay, the remainder pasture. The acreage of Hope township is 2,672A. 3R. 28P. ; of the parish 9,228 acres ; rateable value of township, £2,919 ; the population of Hope township in 1881 was 332, and for the parish 1,823.

Aston is a township, 1 mile north-east from Hope. It contains about 714 acres; rateable value, £600 ; the population in 1881 was 96.

Brough and Shatton form a township, 1½ miles east from Hope, with 987 acres; rateable value, £813; the population in 1881 was 74.

At the confluence of the Noe and the Bradwell is a place called "Halsteads," where are the remains of a Roman encampment, out of which, upwards of a century ago, urns, pieces of swords, spears, bridle bits, busts of deities and a gold coin of the reign of Augustus Caesar (A.D. 31), were brought to light.

A stone bridge of two arches crosses the river Noe, connecting Brough with Aston, leading to Chapel-en-le-Frith and Sheffield. Here are lead smelting and white lead works and cotton mills.

Thornhill is a township, 2 miles east from Hope, situated on the river Derwent. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels; the former has a burial ground attached. The trustees of the late Col. Charles Leslie are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The acreage is 587 ; rateable value, £740; the population in 1881 was 118.

Stoke is a township in the Western division of the county, liberty of Stoke, parish of Hope, Bakewell union, petty sessional division and county court district, 9 miles south-east from Hope, 1 mile north-east from Stoney Middleton. Stoke Hall, the seat of Michael Hunter esq. and formerly occupied by the Arkwright family, is a fine old rectangular mansion of stone, situated in a well-timbered park, on the banks of the Derwent. Michael Hunter esq. J.P. owns all the land here. The acreage is 511, 300 of which are forest land; rateable value, £650; the population in 1881 was 22.

Offerton is a hamlet and township in Bakewell union, consisting of 3 farms and 1 cottage. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor. The acreage is 658, 205 of which are common land; rateable value, £313; the population in 1881 was 26.

Nether Padley is a hamlet and township in Bakewell union, with a population in 1881 of 37 inhabitants; it contains 296 acres; rateable value, £255.

Highlow is a lordship, in the parish of Hope and Bakewell union, 4 miles south-east from Hope and 3 miles south-west from Hathersage. Highlow Hall formerly belonged to the Eyre family. The acreage is 421 ; rateable value, £326; the population in 1881 was 44.

Sexton, Michael Howe.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Miss Annie Middleton, receiver. Letters arrive by mail cart from Sheffield at 7.50 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.40 p.m.; same time on sunday. Offerton & Highlow letters are received through Hathersage ; Nether Padley letters through Grindleford Bridge; Stoke letters through Calver. Church of England School (mixed), erected in 1860, for 106 children; average attendance, 55 ; William Henry Draycott, master

CARRIERS TO SHEFFIELD.-James Tym, on fri. ; Walker Hardy, on sat

Hope.
Buckston Rev. Henry M.A. Vicarage
Clay Thomas
Firth Edward, Birchfield
Firth Jn. Loxley, Crab Tree Meadow ho
Hall George, Weir cottage
Middleton Mrs
Walker Joseph, Bridge cottage

COMMERCIAL.
Ashton Maria (Mrs.), farmer, Far field, Woodlands
Barber Adam, farmer, Fullwood
Bennett Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Eccles farm
Beverley John, farmer, Spring house
Bowden Albert, Rising Sun P.H. & farmer
Bradbury William, slater & plasterer
Cooper Richard, farmer
Cotterill Emma (Mrs.), farmer, Edale end
Crompton & Evans' Union Bank Lim. (open weds. & fair days 11 to 1) (Alfred J. Adams, Bakewell, manager) ; draw on Glyn, Mills, Currie & Co. London E c
Dawson Joseph, tailor
Eyre Thomas, farmer, Pindale
Furniss Abraham, farmer & lime burner, Pindale
Hadfield Chas. joiner, builder & shopkpr
Hadfield Jn. farmer, Twitchill, Woodlnds
Hall George, farmer
Hallett John, farmer, Woodlands
Hardy Walker, draper, grocer & carrier
Heathcote Jonathan Henry, Hall hotel
Hobson Wm. shoe maker & beer retailer
Holme Joseph, blacksmith
Hope Valley Agricultural Society (Jeremiah Buckley, Windmill, Eyam, sec)
Proctor James, saddler
Riding Samuel, farmer
Shirt Henry, stone mason
Shirt Isaac, stone mason
Shirt Joseph, stone mason
Thorp Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Harrop house
Twelves Thomas, draper, Kiln hill
Tym Jas. farmer, shopkeeper & carrier
Unwin Joseph, farmer, Lane side
Ward George, farmer
Wainwright Joseph, blacksmith
Watson Annie (Mrs.), Cheshire Cheese P.H
Watson Benjamin, Woodroffe Arms P.H. & farmer
Watson William, butcher
Wilson William, Blacksmith's Arms P.H. & joiner

Aston.
Barber Edwd. farmer, Haighfield head
Dalton Joseph, farmer, Hall
Hall Peter, Travellers' Rest P.H
Littlewood Robert, farmer, Hard hurst
Littlewood William, farmer
Marsh Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Newton Thomas, farmer
Ollernshaw Benjamin, farmer
Ollernshaw John, farmer
Pickard John, farmer, Croft head
Wilson Benjamin, farmer
Wilson Joseph, farmer

Brough.
Nicholson Edmund, Brough house
Eyre Henry, carpenter
Eyre James, carpenter
Eyre William, miller (water)
Needham John, farmer
Smelting & White Lead Works (Joseph Hall Moore, proprietor)
Somerset Thomas, cotton doubler

Shatton.
Bagshaw William, farmer
Barker Charlotte (Mrs.), farmer
Brown James & Son, farmers, Upper Shatton
Dalton Samuel, farmer
Ollernshaw David, farmer
Wilson Isaac, farmer, Old Leys

Thornhill.
COMMERCIAL.
Andrew Joseph, farmer
Andrew William, farmer
Bennett Henry, farmer
Cooper Martha (Mrs.), farmer
Darwent Hannah (Mrs.), farmer
Darwent Jacob Luther, farmer
Littlewood Joseph, farmer
Marsden Joel, wheelwright
Marsden John, farmer
Rowarth Jacob, farmer
Taylor George, farmer
Wilson Abraham, farmer
Wilson Arthur, farmer
Wilson George, farmer
Wilson Isaac, farmer
Wilson John, farmer
Wilson Robert, farmer

Offerton.
Spencer Mrs. Hall
Greaves Geo. Hy. farmer, Offerton ho
Robinson John, farmer, Garner house

Nether Padley.
Grossland Henry Robert, farmer
White Thomas, Grouse Inn, & farmer

Highlow.
Bagshaw John Bateman, farmer, Highlow hall
Frost Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Howe Martin, farmer
Hudson John, farmer
Taylor Henry, farmer & wood steward for the Duke of Devonshire
Walker Abraham, Plough P.H

Stoke.
Hunter Michael J.P. Stoke hall
Berrisford Joseph, farmer
Grossland Thomas Joseph, farm bailiff to Hulme Cliff college
Thorpe Henry, farmer


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Hope and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills