Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Kirk Langley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.245-246
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
KIRK LANGLEY is a parish comprising the townships of KIRK LANGLEY and MEYNELL LANGLEY, 131 miles from London, 4¾ west-north-west from Derby, 8 south-west from Belper, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Belper union, Derby petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Duffield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Michael is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, and a low embattled western tower, containing 3 bells dated 1693, 1629 and 1679 : by far the greater part of the present fabric is of the Early Decorated style (1300-20), when the church was evidently rebuilt throughout: the nave is divided from the aisles by arcades of three pointed arches, supported on octagonal piers and communicates with the chancel by a Pointed arch on octagonal shafts, and with the tower by a similar arch resting on corbels: the chancel retains three sedilia of good character and a piscina, and in the south wall is an almery : one of the sedilia has been opened and forms a doorway to the vestry, erected in 1824 by Godfrey Meynell: the north aisle is lighted by five Pointed windows, the corresponding windows in the south aisle being mostly debased, as also are those of the clerestory : the church was much injured by a tempest on June 20th, 1845 *see note : various repairs, involving the destruction of much ancient and beautiful woodwork, were made in 1839, at a total cost of £587: in 1840 the church was re-pewed and a gallery erected on the south side, at a cost of £600 : there is a piscina at the east end of each aisle and a blocked hagioscope within the doorway of the old rood-loft stairs: during the re-pewing various Abbey tokens of bronze, and a large number of encaustic tiles, with the inscription "Sce Mich," were found; the latter are now placed under the communion table: at the east end of the south aisle is an altar-tomb with incised figures of an armoured knight and his lady and a marginal inscription to Henry Pole and Dorothy his wife (1558) : in the north aisle is an alabaster slab with the figure of a lady in a close-fitting dress and angular cap; the inscription, much defaced, commemorates Alice, widow of Thomas Beresford, of Newton Grange (1512) : in the chancel are numerous memorials to the Meynells, from 1667 to 1854; and to the Rev. Charles Wilmot (1724) and William Cant (1789), successively rectors of this parish, as well as to a son of the latter: the church plate was in part the gift of Lady Francis Kniveton, in the 17th century: the church is now (1891) undergoing complete restoration; there are 250 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1655; of marriages from 1656 ; and of burials, from 1654. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £168, net yearly value £256, with 90 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Godfrey F. Meynell esq. and held since 1885 by the Rev. Francis William Meynell M.A. Caius college, Cambridge. The Primitive Methodist chapel at Langley Common was built in 1868. Godfrey Franceys Meynell esq. J.P. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Godfrey Franceys Meynell esq. J.P. R. W. Chandos-Pole esq. D.L., J.P. of Radbourne; Rev. John Philip Gell M.A. rector of Buxted, Sussex ; George William Peach esq. J.P. ; Thomas Goodall Copestake esq. J.P. ; Mrs. Mary Smith, Mrs. Mary Brough, Mrs. Sarah Brooks Meynell and William Cox esq. The soil is loamy; subsoil, various. The chief crops are oats, wheat, barley and some land in pasture. The area is 2,526 acres; rateable value, £4,827 ; the population in 1881 was 679.

Meynell Langley is a township, in the parish of Kirk Langley. Meynell Langley Park, of about 70 acres, is the seat of Godfrey Franceys Meynell esq. J. P. who is lord of the manor; the mansion is a stone building, originally built about the time of Henry VIII. situate on an acclivity in a park, and commanding very fine views of the surrounding country. The Old Hall is the residence of George William Peach esq. J.P. This place is exempt from tithes, but not separately rated to the poor. The population and acreage are returned with Kirk Langley.

Parish Clerk, George Brown.

Sexton, Arthur Greatorex.

POST OFFICE.-George Taylor, Sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Derby at 4.40 a.m. ; dispatched at 8.4[0] p.m. The nearest money order office is at Mackworth, & telegraph office at Brailsford

National School (mixed), erected in 1879, with school house, by voluntary rate, for 120 children; average attendance, 90 ; Francis Edward Pickerell, master; Mrs. Emily Pickerell, mistress

Kirk Langley.
Barrington Mrs
Brough Mrs
Copestake Thomas Goodall J.P
Meynell Rev. Francis Wm. M.A. [rector]
Radford William, Lawn house
Sampson Stephen Matthew
Smith Mrs

COMMERCIAL.
Adams Joseph, farmer, Langley comn
Ault William, beer retailer
Brough Henry Stables, farmer, Pastures
Brown George, wheelwright
Clark Samuel, baker & provision dealer
Dudley Thomas, farmer, Langley grn
Foster George, blacksmith
Goodall Elijah, farmer, Langley green
Hanson John, farmer
Lockett Henry, farmer, Snape farm
Morley Charles, farmer, Burrows
Parker William Croft, farmer, Burrows
Smith Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Spencer George, butcher
Travis Wm. farmer, Langley common
Vernon Joseph, builder
Wallis Hy.German,farmr. Twenty acres
Widdowson James, farmer, Sandy lane

Meynell Langley.
Meynell Godfrey Franceys J. P. Meynell Langley park
Peach George William J.P. Old hall
Cockeram Ralph, farmer
Goodwin William, farmer
Goodwin William, jun. farmer, Lodge
Handford William, farmer, Green foot
Lowndes John, farmer
Spencer Alfred, farmer, Buckhasle farm
Taylor Joseph, farmer, New Park farm
Wilson George, farmer


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript


*The text above states that the church was "injured by a tempest on June 20th, 1845". This is clearly a misprint in the Directory and, following a query, has been checked in Lysons "Magna Britannia": Rev Daniel and Samuel Lysons Esq. (1817) "Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire" London: Printed for T. Cadell, Strand; and G. and A. Greenland, Poultry. The actual year was three hundred years earlier - so should read 1545!

Village Links

More on site information about Kirk Langley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills