Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Longford, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.247-248
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
LONGFORD (formerly called LAGANFORD) is a parish, comprising the townships of LONGFORD, HOLLINGTON and RODSLEY. Longford is on a small stream which runs through the centre of the village and over which are two bridges, and is 6 miles south-south-east from Ashborne station on the Churnet Valley section of the North Staffordshire railway and 6 north from Tutbury station on the main line of the same railway, in the Western division of the county, Appletree hundred, Ashborne union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Longford, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Chad, a building of stone, situated about half a mile from the village, consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a fine embattled tower at the west end, containing a clock and 6 bells, dating from 1721 to 1786 : the nave is separated from the north aisle by an arcade of four semicircular arches, supported by three heavy cylindrical Norman piers; a similar arcade of four Pointed arches separates the south aisle: the font, which has a plain and massive bowl, is also Norman: in the south wall of the chancel are three sedilia of equal height, and a piscina, at the beginning of the 14th century the outer walls were rebuilt throughout, the aisles widened and the chancel prolonged, the Pointed windows of the aisles are Decorated work of about 1320: the tracery of the large east window was renewed in 1843: the chancel and tower arches are both Decorated, the latter being of somewhat later date: the tower is Perpendicular : on the north side of the chancel is a magnificent marble monument to Anne Amelia, Countess of Leicester, d. 22 July, 1844: here is also a fine and costly monument to Thomas William Coke, Earl of Leicester (1837), who died at Longford 30 June, 1842: the earlier monuments have been most capriciously moved about and maltreated during the present century; the oldest of the knightly effigies is now placed within a richly canopied recess in the south wall of the south aisle; the date, judging from the style of armour and general execution, is about 1350; the next in point of age is an effigy in plate armour, with collar of SS now on the floor on the north side of the chancel, but originally in the recess in the south aisle; this is no doubt intended for Sir Nicholas Longford, who died 3 Hen. IV. (1401-2) : his eldest son and heir, also Sir Nicholas, is represented by an effigy, also wearing a collar of SS. on the south side of the chancel: at the east end, on opposite sides, are alabaster figures of a knight and his lady, in the costume of the early 17th century, and representing Sir Nicholas Longford (1610) and his third wife: against the east wall of the north aisle is the mural monument of Edward Coke (1733) : the communion plate is of silver, and dates from 1747 : the church has sittings for 486 persons. The register dates from the year 1538 for all entries and is in excellent condition; in August, 1645, the burials are registered of several soldiers slain during the Civil War. The living is a rectory, net yearly value from tithe rent-charge £625, with residence and 193 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Hon. Henry John Coke, and held since 1850 by the Rev. Thomas Anchitel Anson M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge, and rural dean of Cubley. There is a Wesleyan chapel here, erected in 1874. The Coke almshouses, founded in 1687 by Sir Robert Coke bart. are for six poor persons of either sex and of any age, who each receive two shillings and sixpence per week, and £1 at Easter instead of a "gowne" of good grey cloth, as left in the original will. Dame Catherine Coke, in 1688, left various lands in Rodsley, producing £36 yearly, of which £32 is paid for teaching twenty poor children of Longford, £4 being also given to the mistress at Hollington. Longford Hall, an ancient and noble mansion on the south side of the church, is the seat of the Hon. Henry John Coke. The Hon. Henry John Coke, who is lord of the manor, and H. Bradshaw esq. are the principal landowners ; there are several smaller proprietors. The soil is chiefly strong ; sub-soil, marl, clay and gravel. The chief crops are hay, wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 4,732 acres, and of the township, 2,983; rateable value, £5, 156; in 1881 the population of the township was 408, and of the parish, 769.

Sexton, George Lingley.

POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- John Henry Shaw, postmaster. Letters arrive from Derby through Brailsford at 8 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. There is no sunday delivery or dispatch. Brailsford is the nearest telegraph office

National School (mixed), erected in 1876, at the sole cost of the late Hon. E. K. W. Coke & endowed with £32 yearly, &8 specified above, for 70 children, with a full average attendance ; John Keyworth, master; Mrs. Sarah Keyworth, mistress

CARRIERS.-George Farmer, to Derby, fri. ; Thomas Salt, to Derby, tues. & fri

Hollington is a township and village in the parish of Longford, 5½ miles south-east from Ashborne. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here, erected in 1847. The Hon. Henry John Coke is lord of the manor. Area, 1,028 acres ; rateable value. £1,858; the population in 1881 was 225.

POST OFFICE.-John Tipper, receiver. Letters through Derby. Letter Box cleared at 6.5 p.m. Longford is the nearest money order office & Brailsford the nearest telegraph office

Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1876, for 50 children; average attendance, 36 ; endowed with £1 yearly, for educating poor children of this township, left by Joseph Holme, in 1768 ; the mistress also receives £4 yearly from the charity of Dame Catherine Coke, left in 1688; Miss Maria Wakeham, mistress

CARRIER TO DERBY.-Thomas Bull, tues. & fri

Rodsley is a township in the parish of Longford, 4½ miles south-east from Ashborne. There is a Wesleyan chapel here. In 1666 John Sherwin left £1 yearly to the poor of Rodsley. The children of this township now attend the schools at Longford and Shirley. The Hon. Henry John Coke is lord of the manor. The area is 820 acres ; rateable value £1,290 ; the population in 1881 was 1,356.

Letters through Ashborne arrive at 10 a.m. WALL LETTER Box cleared at 3.30 p.m. week days only. Longford is the nearest money office & Brailsford the nearest telegraph office

[Marked thus * receive letters through Etwall, Derby.]
Anson Rev. Thomas Anchitel M.A.[rector & rural dean], Rectory
Coke Hon. Henry John, Longford hall

Alcock Wm. miller & frmr. Longfd. mill
*Brassington George John, farmer, Thurvaston marsh
Fallows Edwd. farmr. East Mammerton
Farmer George, farmer & carrier
Fox Henry, cooper
*Gerrard Thomas, butcher & farmer
Gilman Matilda (Miss), farmer, Bupton
Gregory Joshua, farm bailiff to Hon. Henry John Coke, Ardsley farm
Hawksworth Ann (Mrs.), frmr. Spath fm
Longford Cheese Factory Association (John Gilman, manager)
Nield Thomas & Sons, farmers, Wood House farm
*Oakden & Smith, farmers, Thurvaston mount
Robinson William, joiner
Salt Elizh. (Mrs.), Ostrich P.H. & farmr
*Salt Henry, farmer
*Salt Thomas, carrier
Salt Thos. farmer, West Mammerton
Salt William, jun. farmer, Hill top
Sessions John, farmer
Shaw John Hy. shoe maker, Post office
Shaw Joseph, farmer, Bupton
Smith George, farmer
Smith Thos. farmer & assistant overseer
Tipper John, wheelwright
*Twigg John, cowkeeper
Twigg John, farmer
Twigg Thomas, bricklayer & farmer
*Vernon Joseph, builder
Wint William, cow keeper
Wright Edward, blacksmith

Wright Thomas, Belle Vue cottage

Appleby William, shopkeeper
Beard John Henry, shopkeeper
Bennett Benjamin, farmer
Bull Thomas, carrier
Coxon Thos. jun. farmr. Hollington gro
Hammersley John, farmer
Hammersley Rupert, farmer
Hawking John, farmer
Hawthorn Charles, Red Lion P.H
Hayne William, farmer
Holloway James, farmer
Holloway Maria (Mrs.), farmer
Holloway William, farmer, Sunny bank
Leason Joseph, landowner & farmer
Morley Thomas, farmer
Plant Smith, jun. farmer
Radford Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Rogers George, farmer
Tipper John, shopkeeper, Post office
Tipper Thomas, wheelwright & farmer
Ward Thomas, farmer
Whittingham Rd. landowner & farmer
Wright Edward, blacksmith
Wright Thomas, farmer, surveyor & overseer &c. Belle Vue cottage

Adcock Abraham, tailor
Allsop Charles, farmer
Archer Hannah (Mrs.), French Horn P.H
Bridges Robert, grocer
Brown William, farmer, Cote farm
Chadfield Thomas, farmer & landowner
Cooper Alfred, cattle dealer
Cooper John, farmer & cattle dealer
Fletcher William, farmer
Glover Thomas, wheelwright & farmer
Kent Thomas, blacksmith
Redshaw Frank, farmer, Rodsley wood
Redshaw Wm. farmer, Edlaston hall
Smith Edwin, farmer, Croft farm
Tatlow John, farmer
Yeomans Harriet (Mrs.), farmer
Yeomans Henry, cowkeeper

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Longford and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills