Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Middleton by Wirksworth, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 265-6
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
MIDDLETON-BY-WIRKSWORTH is a parish and considerable village, including IBLE and IVONBROOK GRANGE townships, 1 mile north-by-west from Wirksworth, 9 miles north-east from Ashborne and 2 south-west from Cromford station on the Ambergate and Manchester section of the Midland railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division and county court district of Wirksworth, union of Ashborne, rural deanery of Wirksworth, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1839, at a cost of £1,200, is an edifice of stone ; it consists simply of a nave, with a small turret at the west end, containing a clock and one bell: the interior was restored and reseated in 1884-5, at a cost of £800, and has 413 sittings, 362 being free. The register dates from the year 1839. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £8, gross yearly value about £300, including 1½ acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Wirksworth, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Edwin Cuthbert Harward M.A. of Trinity College, Oxford. Here is a Congregational chapel, built in 1786 ; Wesleyan, rebuilt in 1874, and Primitive Methodist, rebuilt in 1870. The poor of this parish receive from Bagshaw's Charity the sum of £14 2s. annually on the 4th of Novembe r; £5 annually from Blackburn's Charity on New Year's day; £2 5s. from the Rev. F. Gisborne's Charity on the 1st of December and £4 2s annually from Bunting's Charity in Easter week. The Hopton-Wood stone quarries of Messrs. Killer Brothers, as well as several quarries of excellent marble and many lead mines, are in this township. There is no manor, and the land is the property of numerous small freeholders. The soil is limestone; subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are grass. The area of the township is 991 acres ; rateable value, £2,152 ; the population in 1881 was 1,065, including Ible and Ivonbrooke Grange.
Parish Clerk, George Spencer.

Ible is a township 2½ miles north-west, with a Primitive Methodist chapel. The land is the property of a number of small freeholders; the area is 424 acres ; rateable value £564; the population in 1881 was 50.

Ivonbrook Grange (or GRANGE MILL) is a township, in that part of the parish of Middleton included in the hundred of High Peak and union of Bakewell, 3 miles north-west, and situate at the western extremity of the noted Via Gellia valley. G. H. Errington esq. of Merry Oak, Southampton, is impropriator of the great tithes : the vicar of Middleton receives a modus of £1 in lieu of vicarial tithe : Lord Scarsdale is sole proprietor of the land. The area is 417 acres ; rateable value, £398; the population in 1881 was 39.

POST OFFICE, Middleton. -Joseph Doxey, postmaster. Letters arrive from Derby about 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Wirksworth
Letters for Ible & Grange Mill are delivered every morning about 9 a.m. Winster is the nearest money order & telegraph office

SCHOOLS :- National, Middleton, erected in 1851, for 170 children ; average attendance, 98 8oys & girls & 61 infants; Albert Barnes, master; Miss Emma Frances Barrow, infants' mistress
Infant, Ivonbrook Grange, Mrs. Louisa Brown, mistress; the school will hold about 35 children; average attendance, 20 ; & is supported by the Duke of Rutland & Lord Scarsdale

Middleton.
Harward Rev. Edwin Cuthbert M.A. Vicarage
Killer Adam
Killer John
Killer Joseph, Rose cottage
Killer William, Ash villa
Moore Michael
Walker Mrs

COMMERCIAL.
Adams Job, farmer & mason
Adams Robert, farmer & hay dealer
Barnes John, farmer
Birley John Richard, stone & monumental mason & sculptor
Birley Samuel, grocer & mason
Brace James, farmer
Brailsford Joseph, plasterer
Brooks Charles, farmer
Brooks Isaac, farmer
Brooks William, pork butcher
Clayton Isaac, grocer & farmer
Doxey Aaron, linen draper
Doxey George, hosier
Doxey William, butcher & farmer
Frost George, stone mason
Gratton Francis, blacksmith & farmer
Gratton Fras. jun. butcher & farmer
Gratton William, farmer
Gregson Walter, family grocer, provision merchant & tea dealr. Post office
Holmes Ruth (Mrs.), haberdasher
Howard William, grocer & baker
Jepson Henry, Wellington inn
Jepson Joseph, boot & shoe maker
KILLER BROTHERS, quarry owners, manufacturers of Hopton-Wood stone chimney pieces & monumental stone & steam saw mills, Hopton-Wood stone quarries. See advertisement
Killer Brothers, coal & coke merchants, Coal wharf
Middleton Gas Works (Killer Brothers, proprietors)
Moore Joseph, farmer
Moore Robert, butcher
Slack Daniel, farmer & hay dealer
Slack William, farmer
Spencer Abraham, boot dealer
Spencer Francis, farmer
Spencer Isaac, coal dealer
Spencer John, shoe maker, shopkeeper & farmer
Spencer Thomas, Nelson's Arms P.H. & farmer
Walker Frank William, Rising Sun P.H

Ible.
Brown Aaron, farmer
Elliott Benjamin, farmer
Kinder Job, farmer
Longdon Joseph, farmer
Marchington Joseph, farmer
Smith Joseph, farmer
Spencer Harriett (Mrs.), Lillies inn
Webster Thomas, farmer, White cliff
Worthy John (Mrs.), farmer, Whitelow

Ivonbrook Grange.
Beeston William Toplis, farmer
Cook Arthur, Holly Bush inn
Ivonbrook Grange Dairy Association
Kenworthy Graham, farmer
Rains Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Rains Robert, farmer
Rouse John William, farmer


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Middleton by Wirksworth and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills