Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Morley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 267-8
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
MORLEY is a parish and township, 4 miles north-east from Derby, and 2½ miles east from Little Eaton station on the main line of the Midland railway, in the Ilkeston division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Smalley petty sessional division, Belper union, Belper and Ilkeston county court district, rural deanery of Ilkeston archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Matthew consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles with arcades of two arches (the aisles being continued eastwards as chapels), south porch and an embattled western tower of Early Perpendicular date, with lofty spire, containing a clock, placed in 1887, and 3 bells, two of which were given to the church by "John Statum, squyer, some-time lorde of this towne," who died in 1454, and respectively inscribed, "Ora pro nobis, beate Andrea," and "IHS Nazarenus Rex Judæorum ;" the third was recast in 1614 : the early church was reared, probably, in Saxon or very Early Norman times, since the arcades, which belong to the reign of Stephen, or the beginning of that of Henry II, were formed by cutting through the original nave walls : the stained east window is a memorial to a member of the Sitwell family : the piscina is Decorated : the north aisle was rebuilt in the 16th century and enlarged in order to receive the windows and stained glass from the refectory of Dale Abbey, dissolved in 1539; only three of the windows now retain any of this glass, the most interesting portion of which, in one of the north windows, represents in seven compartments, the legend of Robert, the hermit of Knaresborough : another window depicts the legend of the Holy Cross, with inscriptions below each of the ten commandments, and a third has been filled as a memorial to Harriet, wife of the Hon. W. M. Jervis, who died January 22nd, 1875 ; the ancient glass was carefully restored in 1847, at the cost of the late T. O. Bateman esq.: the east window of this aisle has full-length figures of the Virgin and Saints, with subjects illustrating the Te Deum, the centre light containing figures of the twelve Apostles, and above this a representation of the assumption of St. Ursula: the porch and its doorway, said to have been also brought from Dale Abbey, are Decorated : in the south aisle are the remains of an obituary window, with heraldic adornments to John Sacheverell, slain at Bosworth Field, 21 Aug. 1485 ; a window in the south wall has figures of St. Roger, Bishop of London (1229-41), and other early ecclesiastics, and one near it a figure of St. Catherine: various collections of encaustic tiles, from different parts of the church, were in 1850 placed at tile cast end of the north aisle, besides simple initials these exhibit a large number of heraldic examples, including the coats of Lancaster, Grey, Beauchamp, Zouch and others: several carved bench ends of Perpendicular date, have been worked up in the present open seats: in the north aisle is It fine oaken chest, 6 feet 6 inches long by 11 foot 7 inches broad : there are three brasses in commemoration of John, son of Thomas Stathum, and a great benefactor to this church ; the first is a simple plate, with a Latin inscription to himself, who died 8th November, 1453, and his wife Cecily; 25 April, 1444 : the second is an elaborate brass, originally of several plates let into a slab of Purbeck marble; Stathum is here represented in armour, bare-headed and kneeling on his helmet; his wife, clad in a loose robe, kneeling opposite: most of the heraldic shields are gone; below is a dated English inscription recording his gifts of bells to the church and bread to the poor; the third is a requiem plate, enjoining specific benefactory prayers for certain members of the family of Godyth, and is fixed over the piscina, in the south wall of the chancel : a mutilated and inscribed slab, now in the tower, is supposed to be the gravestone of his father, Thomas Stathum : to his son, also Thomas, there is a brass on the north side of the chancel, with the figures of the knight in plate armour, his head, resting on his helmet, and his two wives, in flowing robes, one on either side : there are various shields of Morley and Stathum, impaling the coats of Langley and Curzon : and at the base an inscription in Latin, giving the date of his death as 27th July, 1470; the son of this Sir Thomas, Henry Stathum, reposes under a slab of Purbeck marble, inlaid with brasses, beneath a canopied arch opening from the south chapel into the chancel, which bears figures of himself in plate armour, with his head on a helmet and his feet resting on a lion, and of his three wives, one on the right and two on the lef t: below is a Latin inscription, with the date of his death, 30th April, 1480; and beneath this, figures of one son and four daughters; the four shields formerly on the tomb are now wanting : another brass in the south chapel commemorates, in Latin, John, son and heir of Ralph Sacheverell, who, as noticed above, fell at Bosworth Field; the general character of the brass, however, being not earlier than c. 1525: on a large slab, between the chancel and north aisle, are portrait brasses of Sir Henry Sacheverell, son of the aforementioned John, and his wife Isabella, himself in plate armour, and she in a gown with puffed sleeves; he died 21 July, 1558: at the east end of the north aisle is the tomb of Katherine, daughter of Sir Henry Sacheverell, and wife of Thomas Babington of Dethick, who died 24th August, 1543 ; it bears also in front a shield with eight quarterings, flanked by the figures of eight sons and five daughters : there arc besides no less than ten other monuments of the Sacheverell family, dating from 1625 to 1724 ; one to Richard, son of John Harpur, a former rector, who died in childhood, 25 March, 1660 ; as well as mural monuments in the chancel to other past rectors of the Wilmot, Sitwell, and Wilson families, 1741 to 1844 : a monument has also been placed in the church to Sir Hugh Bateman bart. of Hartington Hall, d. March, 1824 ; and a brass to Samuel Fox, an eminent Anglo-Saxon scholar, and rector here for 26 years, d. Sept. 3, 1870 : the shaft of the churchyard cross still remains, but has been much shortened in order to receive a sundial plate, dated 1762 : the graceful shaft of another cross, with its steps and nearly perfect head, stands a little to the west of the church ; the church plate includes a covered chalice, given by Elizabeth, wife of Jonathan Sacheverell, and is dated 1663 : the chancel was reseated in 1884, and an organ erected in 1885, there are 160 sittings. The registers, which are in a very fair condition, date from 1540 for baptisms, and 1544 for marriages and burials. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £325, gross yearly value £600, including 111 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of R. S. Sitwell esq. and held since 1883 by the Rev. Charles John Boden B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. There are six almshouses founded by Jacinth Sacheverell esq. in 1656, and endowed with £5 each yearly; three for the township of Morley, and three for the township of Smalley, other charities amount to £15 yearly. There are still traces here of the old Roman road, from Tynemouth to St. David's, called "Ryknield street," which passed through this neighbourhood. The manorial rights are divided. The principal landowners are R. S. W. Sitwell esq. J.P. of Stainsby House, Hugh Alleyne Sacheverell Bateman esq. F. 0. F. Bateman esq. J.P. of Breadsall Mount, and Charles Schwind esq. J.P. of Broomfield. ; the soil is clayey and sandy. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and two thirds pasture. The area is 1,853 acres ; rateable value, £3,237; the population in 1881 was 278.

Parish Clerk, William Boswell.

POST OFFICE.-Charles Chapman, receiver. Letters through Derby arrive at 8 a.m. ; dispatched at 6 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Smalley

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1878. William Hart, Irongate, Derby, clerk to School Board
Board School (mixed), erected in 1880, for 70 children ; average attendance, 43 ; Miss EIlen Taylor, mistress

Boden Rev. Charles John B.A. Rectory
Schwind Charles J.P. Broomfield
Sitwell Robert Sacheverell, The Hall
Whittaker Joseph, Ferriby brook

COMMERCIAL.
Alsop Samuel, farmer
Chapman Charles, blacksmith & wheelwright, Post office
Cross Charles, Three Horseshoes P.H.
Frost Samuel, The Moor
Hollingsworth Herbert, farmer
Hollingworth Joseph, wheelwright
Hool John, farmer, Lime
Martin Herbert, farmer
Naylor Thomas, farmer
Needham Richard, farmer
Seal SI. & Son, quarry masters, The Moor
Sitwell Frank & Rt. farmers, Morley ho
Skevington Arthur, farmer
Webster James, farmer, Quarry farm
Whitehead William, market gardener, florist, nurseryman & assistant overseer, Ferriby brook


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Morley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills