Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
New Mills, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.269-272
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
NEW MILLS, originally called "Bowden Middle Cale," derives its present name from a corn mill built upon the Kinder, in the hamlet of Ollerset ; it is a township and parish, formed in 1884 from Glossop parish, and comprising of hamlets of BEARD, OLLERSET, THORNSET and WHITLE, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, Hayfield union, Chapel-en-le-Frith petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Glossop, arch deaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. It formerly comprised seven hamlets, but has been divided, three of the hamlets being attached to Hayfield, and the remaining four now forming the township and parish. New Mills is a large village, situated on the river Goyt, 7½ miles south-west from Glossop, 8 south-east from Stockport, 170 from London by road, and by railway, St. Pancras 173, Euston 192 miles. The London and North Western and Midland railways have stations here, and there is a branch line from the latter to Hayfield. It is governed by a Local Board of eleven members, the district comprising the village of Newtown, in Disley parish, in Cheshire. The church of St. George, at Beard, erected in 1831, is a building of stone, in the Pointed style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south and west porch, and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles and spire, containing one bell, dated 1831: the stained east window was presented by Miss Ingham, now Mrs. John Mackie : and there is a memorial window to Mr. Titterton, presented by his widow, and two others, both in memory of the Rev. John Rigg, a former vicar, presented by the parishioners: also a monument to James Ingham esq. J.P. (1868), and a brass to his widow (Sept.1875): the font is a memorial to John Taylor esq. J.P. : there are 850 sittings, 350 being free. The register dates from the year 1831 and is in good condition. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £300, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Glossop, and held since 1869 by the Rev. Frederick William Newman M.A. of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. The church of St. James the Less, a building in the Lancet style of the 13th century, was erected in 1880 by John Mackie esq. J.P. of Crigglestone, Yorks, and New Mills, and Mary, his wife, together with the almshouses adjoining, as a memorial to James Ingham esq. J.P. and Martha, his wife, the parents of Mrs. Mackie, formerly resident at New Mills, and consists of apsidal chancel and nave, north porch, organ chamber and vestry, and a western turret containing one bell: in the apse are three stained windows and at the west end is a stained window presented by Mr. and Mrs. Mackie: the pulpit and font are of carved stone: the communion plate and linen were given by the parishioners and the brass lectern by the late R. B. Mackie esq. M.P. and his daughter Edith: there are 150 sittings, all free. The living is incorporated with that of St. George's parish. The almshouses, six in number, erected from the designs of Mr. W. Swinden Barber F.R.I.B.A. are built on three sides of a quadrangular plot of land near Sprink bank, in New Mills; the dwellings occupying the north and a portion of the east side of a quadrangle, the west and south sides of which are appropriated to the church; they are occupied by 11 poor and aged persons, who receive a weekly allowance from Mr. and Mrs. Mackie. The Catholic church, dedicated to St. Mary, erected in 1838, is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and a western tower with spire, containing one bell: a new altar has been erected by Dennis Lane esq. of London: the Rev. Charles Joseph Craigy, priest, High Lee. The Wesleyan chapel, St. George's road, was erected about 1810, and has an attached cemetery ; the Primitive Methodist chapel, Spring Bank, was built in 1876; and the Free Methodist Chapel, Spring Bank, in 1838. Cattle fairs are held on May 11th and October 7th. Here are iron and brass foundries, calico printing and bleach works, cotton spinning and cotton band manufactories. The Public Hall, erected in 1871, at a cost of £2,500, was opened in the same year by the Duke of Devonshire K.G.: a tower was added in 1875, and a clock with chimes presented by the late Mrs. Ingham, of Watford villa: the lower rooms are divided into class rooms, news and reading rooms, and arc used by the Mechanics' Institute, of which John Mackie esq. J.P. is president: the Savings Bank occupies a room here, which is open on Saturdays from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. : the general management of the building is vested in trustees, of whom James Hibbert esq. J. P. of Fern Bank, is chairman. A county court is held here alternately with Buxton and Chapel-en-le-Frith, on Fridays. The late James Ingham esq. of Watford Villa, left £500 in 1868, the interest, of which is applied to the education and clothing of poor children in the township : Bowden's charity of 30s. yearly is for bread. The principal landowners are Lord Egerton, of Tatton and F. J. Sumner esq. The soil is clay : subsoil, clay. The area is 5,042 acres of land and 36 of water; rateable value, £21,250; the population in 1881 was 5,379.

HIGH LEE, Lady Shaw Bottom and Watford are places in the village.

Parish Clerk, Joseph Waterhouse.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B, & Annuity & Insurance Office.- George Walker, postmaster. Letters are received via Stockport, delivered at 7 a.m. & 3.30 p.m. ; dispatched at 10.45 a.m. & 8.20 p.m.; on sundays at 7.30 p.m. Money orders are granted & paid from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m. ; on saturday till 8 p. m
WALL LETTER Box, Bridge st. cleared at 10.15 a.m. & 8 p.m
WALL LETTER Box, High st. cleared at 10.20 a.m. & 8 p.m

COUNTY MAGISTRATES for New Mills sub-division of Chapel-en-le-Frith petty sessional division :-
Mackie John esq, Watford villa, Whitle, Stockport, chairman
Bennett Thos. esq. Heathfield, Birch Vale, near Stockport
Carver Thomas esq. The Hollins, Marple, Stockport
Hibbert James esq. Fern Bank, New Mills, Stockport
Hodgkinson Samuel esq. Woodville, Marple, Stockport
Turner Lieut.-Col. Henry, Woodlands, Offerton
Clerk to the Magistrates, John Burton Boycott, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Petty sessions are held in the Public Hall monthly, on wednesdays at 10.30 a.m. with an occasional court when required

LOCAL BOARD.
Offices, Public Hall.

Board meetings every fourth monday at 5.30 p.m.
George Higginbottom, chairman
Edwin Arnfield
Walter Campbell
Joseph Hyde
Timothy Livesley
John Hibbert
John Cochrane
|
|
|
|
|
|
J. T. Higginbottom
Samuel Lowe
Francis Rowbottom
William Sidebottom
Daniel Stafford

Clerk, John Pollitt, Pulblic hall
Treasurer, Henry Barber, Spring bank
Medical Officer of Health, James Edwin Anderton L.RC.P. Edin. Thornfield
Surveyor, John Pollitt, Public hall
Inspector of Nuisances & of Canal Boats, Joseph Lamas
Collector, William Lowe
County Court, Public hall, held alternately with Buxton & Chapel-en-le-Frith; for places in the district, see Chapel-en-le-Frith

PUBLIC OFFICERS:-
Inspector of County Police, Thomas Spencer
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Hayfield Union, James Edwin Anderton L.RC.P. Edin. Spring bank
Superintendent Registrar, Henry Barber; deputy, Arthur Barber
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, George Walker; deputy, Abel Grundy

SCHOOLS:-
A School Board of 7 members was formed in October, 1875; Edward Godward, clerk to the board & attendance officer, Spring bank
Board, Spring bank (mixed), erected in 1878, at a cost, inclusive of site, of £2,620, for 370 scholars; average attendance, 240; John A. Nichols, master; Miss L. E. Peck, mistress
Catholic, erected in 1860, for 35 boys, 35 girls & 10 infants ; average attendance, 20 boys, 18 girls & 7 infants; Miss Elizabeth Guilfoyle, mistress

Railway Station, John Pratt, station master

CARRIER TO STOCKPORT, James Beard, Torr top, wed. & fri

Beard is a hamlet half a mile south of New Mills, and 3 miles west of Hayfield. Here are candlewick mills, chemical works, an iron and brass foundry and quarries producing paving setts; the Midland Railway Company has also a goods yard. F. J. Sumner esq. is the principal landowner.

National School (mixed), built in 1863, for 300 children; average attendance, 260 ; Samuel Whitehead, master

Hague Bar is a hamlet 1 mile west from New Mills, 1 east from Strines station and 3 east from Marple. Brookbottom is a place half a mile north-east from Hague Bar. The Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1874, will seat 200 persons, Lower Cliffe is a place 1 mile north-west from Hague Bar.

Board School, erected in 1878, for 130 scholars; average attendance, 79 ; Joseph Lee, master

Low Leighton is a hamlet 1 mile south from New Mills and 3 west from Hayfield. Here is the workhouse of the Hayfield union. There is also a meeting house for the Society of Friends, built in 1717, with a small cemetery attached.
Letters through Newtown (Cheshire), arrive at 9 a.m. WALL LETTER Box cleared at 6.30 p.m, week days only

Ollerset is a hamlet 1 mile south-west from New Mills and 2 west from Hayfield, consisting principally of scattered farms and some villa residences. Birch Vale station adjoins this hamlet. F. J. Sumner esq. is the principal landowner.

Roworth is a hamlet 2 miles east from Mellor and 3 north-east from New Mills, consisting principally of scattered farms. The United Methodist Free church have a chapel here.
Letters are received via Stockport & delivered by foot messenger from Marple bridge. WALL LETTER Box cleared at 7.45 a.m

Strines is a hamlet 1 mile by rail and 2 by road westward from New Mills, and 2 east from Marple, with a station on the Sheffield and Midland railway. Calico printing is carried on here very extensively, and the place is much frequented by picnic and pleasure parties from the adjacent large towns.
POST OFFICE.-James Stafford, receiver. Letters are received viâ Stockport & delivered by foot messenger from Marple about 7 a.m. & 4.40 p.m. & dispatched from Strines Road (Cheshire) at. 8.15 a.m. Disley is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Railway Station, John Goodwin Loft, station master

Thornset is a hamlet 1½ miles north-east from New Mills and half a mile west from Birch Vale station. Letters through Birch Vale. Here are Primitive Methodist & Independent chapels; the former was built in 1869.
Board School (mixed), erected in 1878, for 300 children; average attendance, 220; Thomas Frith, master ; Miss Martha Emily Barber, infants' mistress

Whitle is a hamlet 1 mile north-east, from New Mills, consisting of scattered farms and villa residences, and commands a fine view of the adjacent scenery. In the valley are bleach works. Letters through New Mills arrive at 9.30 a.m. Here is a Congregational chapel, built in 1736

New Mills.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Anderton James Edwin, Thornfield
Arnfield Edwin, Springfield villa
Arnfield Joseph, High Lee hall
Arnfield Thos. Owen, Rock cot. High Lee
Barber Henry, Spring bank
Brayne John William, Rock villa
Carrigy Rev. Charles Joseph [Catholic], High Lee
Cochrane John, Springfield
Edman Rev. Aaron [Wesleyan], Spring mount
Roans Alfred William, Hillside
Fielding John, Westfield house
Frost Edward, The Rocks
Grindrod Charles, Spring bank
Hancock Rev. John [Primitive Methodist], Spring bank
Heggie Andrew, Bankfield terrace
Hibbert John James, Bankfleld terrace
Higginbottom George, Spring villa
Hill James, Lily bank
Hill William Francis, Peak house
Hughes Samuel, Chapel street
Ingham Mrs. High street
Lees Mrs, Holly bank
Livesley Alfd. Chapel ho. St. George's rd
Purssglove John, High street
Purssglove Mrs. Ivy cot. Market street
Rendell Rev. James Sibley [United Methodist Free Church], Spring bank
Rigg Mrs. Stanley mount
Rumney William, Spring bank
Salisbury Henry, Rock villa
Sidebottom Miss, High street
Stamper Rev. William Parker [curate of St. George's], Rose villa, Hall street
Thornley Mrs. Stanley mount
Wharmby John Thomas, High Lee
Wild William, Springfield house
Wyatt Mrs. Lee house

COMMERCIAL.

Alexander Jas. Bull's Head P.H. High st
Allen Geo. fruiterer & fishmonger, High st
Alsop & Clayton, painters, Market st
Alsop George, painter & plumber, High street & Meal street
Alsop George, jun. hatter, High street
Anderton James Edwin L.R.C.P. Edin. surgeon & medical officer of health to New Mills urban sanitary authority & medical officer & public vaccinator for Hayfield union, Thornfield
Antrobus Edwd. insur. agt. Market st
Armstrong Elizabeth (Miss), ladies' school, High street
Arnfield Joseph & Edwin, millwrights & engineers, Globe iron works
Arnfield Edwin, engineer, see Arnfield Joseph & Edwin
Arnfield lsaac, grocer, Bridge street
Arnfield John, yeast dealer, Spring bank
Arnfield Jsph.enginr. see Arnfield J. & E
Ashworth Abraham, draper, High st
Ashworth Alice (Miss), milliner & dress maker, Market place
Bagshaw Joseph, manufacturing ironmonger, Market street
Barber Henry, manager of the Manchester & County Branch Bank, actuary to the Savings Bank, clerk to the guardians, assessment & school attendance committees & rural sanitary authority & superintendent registrar of Hayfield union, & agent to the Royal Fire Insurance Co. Spring bank
Bardsley Evan, Dog & Partridge P.H. High street
Bardsley Margt. (Mrs.), draper, Market st
Barker Charles, joiner, Union road
Beard James, George hotel, High street
Beardwood Israel, confectnr. Bridge st
Bennett, Boycott & Orme, solicitors, Public hall
Berry John, painter, Spring bank
Berry Matilda (Miss ),dress ma. Spring bk
Berry Sarah Ann (Mrs.), grocer & corn dealer, High street
Boothman Jas. Beer retlr. Dyehouse lane
Boycott John Burton (firm, Bennett, Boycott & Orme), solicitor, clerk to the magistrates, commissioner for oaths & solicitor to the New Mills
Economical Building Soc. Public hall
Bradbury John, shopkeeper, Bridge st
Braddock Joseph Kirby, draper, Market st
Brayne John William Ward, chemist & druggist, Market street
Broom Richd. boot & shoe ma. Market st
Broome Abraham, butcher, Meal street
Brownhill George Henry, White Hart inn, Dyehouse lane
Brunt Geo. Pack Horse inn, Bower lane
Bunting George, hair dresser, High st
Chadwick Geo. tripe dresser. Market st
Chadwick William, cotton band manufacturer & farmer, High Lee
Chatterton Thomas, slater & plasterer, Torr Top street
Clayton Jane (Mrs.), grocer, Torr Top st
Clayton Ralph, painter, see Alsop & Clayton
Conservative Club (J. P. Liddell, sec.), Union road
Co-operative Society (Henry Turner, manager), Spring bank
Cooper Benj. pork butcher, Union road
Cooper Margaret Ann (Mrs.), pork butcher, Market place
Croxall Saml. umbrella repairer, High st
Culvert Mary (Miss), fancy repository, Market street
Dyer William, hair dresser, High street
Ellison Thos. grocer, tailr.& drpr. High st
Evans Seth, reporter to "Glossop Advertiser," Market street
Freemason Lodge (Peveril of the Peak) (Thomas Hibbert, tyler), Crown hotel
Frost Edward, dentist, The Rocks
Gardener Jessie (Miss), ladies' school, Ladyshaw house
George William, baker, Market street
Godward Edward, school board clerk & attendance officer & secretary to the New Mills Economical Permanent Building Society, Spring bank
Goodwin John, farmer, Lark's hill
Gould Matilda (Miss), dress maker, Spring bank
Graham George, tailor, Spring bank
Green James, greengrocer & agent for loans for the Manchester Advance & Discount Bank Limited, High street
Grindrod Charles, surgeon, Spring bnk
Grundey Abel, draper & outfitter & deputy registrar of births, deaths & marriages, Market street
Hall Saml. tin plate worker, Market st
Hampson Hannah (Miss), ladies' outfitter, High street
Harrison William, draper, High street
Harrop John, dining rooms, Market st
Harrop Robert, butcher, Market street
Hewitt John, fried fish dlr. Market st
Hewitt Samuel, stationer, emigration & insurance agent & assistant overseer ; & correspondent to the "Ashton Reporter," Market street
Hibbert Thomas, joiner, Rock street
Higginbotham David, grocer, High st
Higginbotham John, ironmonger, Market place
Higginbottom Geo. & Edwin, manufacturing chemists, Salem chemical wks
Higginbottom Eliza Ann (Mrs.), draper, High street
Higginbottom George, coal merchant, Torr Top street
Howard Geo. & James, painters, Rock st
Howes Esther (Mrs.), confectioner, Bridge street
Hulton Ellen (Mrs.), confectnr. High st
lngham Mark, draper & tailor, High st
Jackson lsaac, watch & clock maker, Market street
Johnson & Johnsons, solicitors, High st
Johnson Charles Frederick, solicitor, see Johnson & Johnsons
Johnson Francis Williams, solicitor, see Johnson & Johnsons
Johnson Joseph, pawnbroker, High st
Johnson Thomas Ward, solicitor, see Johnson & Johnsons
King Frederick, fishmonger, High st
Kirkham James, shoe maker, High st
Leach James, grocer, Market street
Lee James, coppersmith, Meal street
Lee Robert, estate agent, Market street
Leigh William Andrew, stationer, printer & bookseller, Market street
Livesley Alfred, chemist, High street
Livesley Mary Jane (Mrs.), milliner, High street
Livesley Timothy, butcher, High street
Lockwood James, saddler, Market st
Lomas Alice (Mrs.), Grapes P.H. High st
Lomas Jn. bootma. 5 High Lee terrace
Lomas Joel, watch & clock ma. Market pl
Lomas Joseph, inspector of nuisances & canal boats to the local board, Public hall
Lomax Joseph Dale, grocer, Market st
Lomax Mary Ann (Mrs.), confectioner, High street
Longson James & Son, brass & iron founders, Midland iron works
Lowe Elizabeth (Mrs.), draper, Union rd
Lowe William, collector to the local board, Public hall
Lowery Wm. hair dresser, Ton Top st
Manchester & County Bank Limited (branch) (Henry Barber, manager), High street; draw on Union Bank of London Limited, London E C
Marsh Louisa (Mrs.), grocr. Torr Top st
Maughan Jn. Railway hotel, Market st
Mechanics' Institute (James Anthony Ingram, sec.), Public hall
Moore William, Cock inn, High street
Morten Margt. (Mrs.),hosier, Market pl
Morton James, furniture dealer, High st
Mottershead John Hy, butcher, High st
Naven James, baker, Torr Top street
New Mills Conservative Club (John Pemberton Liddle, sec.), Union road
New Mills & District Liberal Association (Richard Thornley, sec.), High st
New Mills Economical Permanent Building Society (Edward Godward, sec.), Public hall
New Mills Gas Co. (Jsph. Arnfield, mgr)
New Mills Water Works (Tom Bowden, manager)
Ogden Thos. small ware dlr. Union road
Orme John Henry (firm, Bennett, Boycott & Orme), solicitor; & at Buxton & Chapel-en-le-Frith
Palmer Henry, watch & clock maker, Torr Top street
Parsons Wm. boot & shoe ma. Market st
Pearce George, sewing machine agent, High Lee terrace
Pearson John, beer retailer, Rock st
Pearson SI. blacksmith, Hyde Bank rd
Pennington Jas. shopkeeper, Spring bnk
Platt Thos. smallwares dealer, High st
Pollitt John, accountant, surveyor & clerk, & surveyor to the local board, Public hall
Pott William, grocer, Market street
Potts Wm. shopkeeper, Eaves Knoll rd
Preston Thomas, clogger, High street
Pursglove John Thomas, brewers' agent, Market street
Redfern Alfred Isaac, joiner & shopkeeper, Spring bank & High street
Richardson Elizabeth (Miss), shopkeeper, Chapel street
Richardson Henry, cotton hand manufacturer, Salem mills
Richardson James, top dealer, High st
Roberts Leah (Mrs.), shopkeepr. High st
Royle Joseph, beer retailer, Market st
Rumney Edward Bryan, calico printer, Watford bridge
Savings Bank, open on saturday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Henry Barber, actuary), Public hall
Sayer John, furniture dealer, Market st
Schofield Fredk. Jn. tailor, Chapel st
Schofield Joseph, butcher, High street
Sellars Joseph, tailor, Market street
Sharples Mary (Mrs.), dress maker, High street
Shepley EIi, hatter & draper, Union rd
Side bottom Elizabeth (Mrs.), confectioner, Market street
Sidebottom George, St. Alban's P. H. Torr Top street
Sidebottom Jane (Miss), ladies' school, High street
Simister Emma (Miss), draper, High st
Slack Ralph, boot & shoe ma. Market st
Smith Margaret (Mrs.), & Albert, furniture dealers, Union road
Smith Joseph, agent to Midland Railway Co. Union road
Spencer Thomas, inspector of police, Police station
Stafford Charles, butcher, High street
Stafford Thomas, farmer, Knightwake farm
Stockwell Henry, tailor & outfitter, Union road
Swann Samuel, farmer, Mouseley bttm
Swindells Henry, farmer, Mouseley btm
Swindells Robt. beer retailer, Market st
Thornley Fredk. printer, Market street
Taylor Louisa (Miss), confectnr. High st
Torr Mills Cotton Spinning Co. Limited (Robert Shackleton, sec)
Toovey Clement, confectioner, Market st
Turner Hy. mangr. to Co-operative stres
Turner James, tobacconist, High street
Turner Ralph, draper, High street
Turner Thos, wardrobe dlr. Torr Top st
Wagstaff Samuel, farmer
Walker Arthur, solicitor, Spring bank
Walker George, stationer & printer, & registrar of births, deaths & marriages, Hayfield sub-district, Post office, Market street
Wallace William, tailor, High street
Walton Geo. clock repairer, Torr Top st
Warrington Elijah, joiner & shopkeeper, Union road
Waterhouse Joseph, grocer & corn dealer, High street
Watson Henry, Crown hotel, Market st
Wharmby James, grocer & china & glass dealer, Market street
Wharmby John Thomas, confectioner, Market street & Union road
Whitehead William Thomas, professor of music, Spring bank
Wild Abel, beer retailer, Bridge street
Wild Jesse, plumber, Torr Top street
Wild Wm. comm. agt. Springfield ho
Williamson Jas. beer retailer, High st
Williamson Mathias, grocer, High st
Williamson Peter, tripe dresser, High st
Wills Wm. watch & clock ma. Market st
Wilson Robert, confectioner, High st
Wood George, shopkeeper, Station rd
Wood James, picture frame ma. High st
Wood Joseph, shoe maker, High street
Wyatt Edwin Henry, smallware dealer, High street
Wyatt John William, Mason's Arms P.H. High street
Wyatt John Wm. milliner, Market pI
Wyatt Sarah (Mrs.), draper, Market st
Yates Edwd. brass founder, Torr Top st

Beard.

Chadwick John, Daisy bank
De Boinville Alexander Chas. Beech ha
Higginhottom Edwin, Quarry bank
Longson James, Hurst Field villa
Lowe Joseph William, Hurst field
Newman Rev. Frederick William M.A. New Mills vicarage
Nichols John, Hurst field
Shawcross Thomas Henry

COMMERCIAL.

Campbell Walter, engraver to calico printers, see Salisbury & Campbell
Cochrane John, brick maker
Fielding John & Co. chemical manufctrs
Handford Joseph, farmer, Bold beard
Higginbottom James, palisade & ornamental iron gate maker, dealer in all kinds of bolts, nuts & washers & general machine smith ; all orders by post promptly attended to
Hill Jas. candle wick manfr. Beard mill
Hill William Francis, candle wick manufacturer, Beard mill
Hodgson William, grocer, Church lane
Hyde John, coal merchant
Lockwood Thomas, coal merchant
Longson James & Son, iron founders, Midland iron works
Longson John, iron founder, see James Longson & Son
Lowe John, coal merchant
Marshall Thomas, farmer, Stonepits
Morten John, farmer, Lane side
New Mills Coal Co. (Jsph. Hyde, mngr)
Pearson Samuel, blacksmith
Redfern James, joiner
Salisbury & Campbell, engravers to calico printers
Scattergood & Warrington, joiners & builders
Stafford Daniel, farmer, Beard hall
Thornley Mariana (Mrs.), candle wick manufacturer, Beard mill
Titterton Geo. farmr. Marsh Lane head
Warrington Elijah, joiner & builder, see Scattergood & Warrington
Warrington Harriet (Mrs.), confectioner, Church lane
Woolley John, farmer, Howcroft

Hague Bar.

Moulten William

COMMERCIAL.

Beard Edward, shopkpr. Brookbottom
Bramhall James, farmer, Bookbottom
Broadhurst Sophia (Mrs.), wheelwright
Grindrod Edwin, Commercial inn
Higginbottom John Thomas, farmer, Lower Hague
Jepson Charles, farmer, Brookbottom
Joule Jn. Martin, farmer, Shaw farm
Kenvon, William, Fox inn, Brook bottm
Scott George Harry & Co. drysalters
Storer Samuel, farmer
Thorpe James, farmer, Hague Fold
Thorpe Joseph, farmer, Hague Fold
Wood John, shopkeeper

Low Leighton.

Dale John
Jackson Mrs. Highfield
Broadhurst John, wheelwright
Goble Richard, Hare & Hounds inn
Hudson John, joiner
Oldham Roberr, shopkeeper
Simms Edward, farmer

Ollerset.
[Names marked thus * receive their letters through Newtown ; thus † through Furness Vale and thus ‡ through Birch Vale.]

*Bridge Miss, Ollerset cottage
Campbell Walter, Diglands
*Frith Thomas
*Hadfield James John, Bowden villas
*Wild Mrs. Pleasant view

COMMERCIAL.
‡Ashton James, farmer, Ravensleach
‡Ashton John Wm. farmr. Coldharbour
Beverley John, farmer, Diglands
*Bowden Eli, contractor
‡Hall James, farmer, Ovenhill
*Hall John, farmer, Moor lodge
‡Hall Levi & Elijah (exors. of), coal mers
*Hall William, farmer, High hill
Holland James, beer retailer
*Hudson Charles, farmer, Gib hey
*Hudson David, farmer, Ollerset farm
*Hudson John, farmer, Piece farm
*Marsh Emma (Miss), shopkeeper
*Mellor John, farmer, Ellerscroft
*Mortin Robert, farmer
*Needham James, farmer, Gibbey
†Reece James, farmer, Shedyard
*Swindells Wm.frmr. Hollinghurst head
†Torkington John, farmer, Brown hill
*Waterhouse Albert, mason
*Wolley Jonathan, farmer
*Wyatt John Henry, shopkeeper

Roworth.

Turner Mrs

COMMERCIAL.
Ashton John, farmer, Long Lee
Bennett, John, farmer, Slack farm
Booth Francis, farmer, Back Roworth
Bowden Joseph, farmer
Bradbury Robt. Little Mill inn, & frmr
Chadwick Samuel, farmer, Lane side
Chadwick SI. jun. farmer, Matley moor
Cooper Alfred, farmer
Gaskenn Joseph, farmer, Golden spring
Gregory Samuel, farmer
Hadfield Charles, farmer, Cone edge
Hallam Joseph, farmer, Further slack
Handford John, farmer, Matley moor
Hibbert Thomas, farmer, Hart hill
Higginbottom Robert. Hare & Hounds P.H. & farmer, Hollins moor
Hinchcliffe Jonathan, farmr. Ringstones
Marsland William, farmer, Matley moor
Pickford Joseph, farmer
Rowbottom Jsph. frmr. Briar Grove slack
Rowbottom Joseph, farmer, Ringstone
Sandham Richard, farmer, Blake hall
Waterhouse Thomas, shopkeeper
Whitlock James, farmer, High Roworth

Strines.

Nevill Thomas Henry, The Cottage
Roper George Freeth, Spring mount
Swindells Peter
Strines Printing Co. calico printers (Peter Campbell, manager)

Thornset.

COMMERCIAL.
Bennett Thos. farmer, Thornset fields
Bullock William, grocer
Butler Wm. farmer & Jordan Arms P.H
Evitts Henry, beer retailer
Goddard Joel, farmer, Aspenshaw
Hadfield James John, yam bleacher & sizer, Garrison bleach works
Hill Isaac, shopkeeper & butcher
Hudson Jn. Printers' Arms P.H. & frmr
Littleford Samuel, shopkeeper
Marshall Jacob, farmer
New Mills Co-operative Society Limited (No. 1 branch)
Phethean John, bleacher, see Thomas Bradbury Turner
Rowcroft George, farmer, Feading hey
Rowcroft Joseph, farmer
Turner Thos, Bradbury, yarn bleacher, Bate mill
Wyatt Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer

Whitle.

Hibbert James J.P. Fern hank
Mackie John J.P. Watford villa
Rumney Mrs. Few bank
Stroyan Rev. Abraham [Congregational], The Manse

COMMERCIAL.
Bennett William, farmer, Abbytree
Billinge Charles Brough, farmer, Broadhurst edge
Billinge Thos. farmer, Broadhurst edge
Brunt George, Pack Horse P. H. Boar la.
Fernaley John, farmer, Beardhough
Keeling James, farmer, Beardhough
Mannifold William, shopkeeper
Marshall Thomas, farmer
Marsland Eli, farmer, Hodghey
Rowcroft James, farmer
Stafford Elizh. (Miss), farmer, Tanpits
Stafford Jas. (representatives of), frmrs
Stafford Thos. Wm. builder, Whitle bk
Tomlinson William, farmer
Townley Thomas, farmer, Willhey


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about New Mills and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills