Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Norbury, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.274-275
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
NORBURY, with the township of ROSTON, is a parish on the river Dove, with a station on the Ashborne branch of the North Staffordshire railway, 141¾ miles from London, 5 south-west from Ashborne and 8 north from Uttoxeter, in the Western division of the county, Appletree hundred and petty sessional division, Uttoxeter union and county court district, rural deanery of Ashborne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Mary the Virgin, situated on an eminence overlooking the valley of the Dove, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, north aisle, divided from the nave by an arcade of four arches on massive piers, two mortuary chapels on the south side and an embattled tower, with pinnacles, between these chapels, the lower portion of which forms a south porch, and over the entrance is a clock, placed in 1889 by S. W. Clowes esq. : the tower contains 3 bells, the first and third dated respectively 1589 and 1739 ; the second, which is cracked, bears the inscription, "Sonat hec celis dulcissima vox Gabrielis :" the chancel, unusually large in proportion to the rest of the building, was built between 1370 and 1380, at the end of the Decorated period, by Henry Kniveton, then rector: the chief glory of this church is its old stained and painted glass, but the original glass of the east window disappeared in the last century, and it is now filled with glass gathered from all parts of the nave; on some quarries the initials N and A show them to have been put in by Nicholas and Alice Fitzherbert, circa. 1450 ; other portions from the south-west chapel bear the initials of John Fitzherbert, circa. 1500 ; the figures of the twelve apostles were removed from various windows of the north aisle, and those of saints from the south-west chapel; in the tracery lights are several emblazoned shields of the Fitzherberts, variously impaled and transferred from the clerestory windows : there is much interesting glass still remaining in the south chapel, chiefly figures of saints, its south window commemorating the second marriage of Nicholas Fitzherbert ; the eight windows in the side walls still, for the most part, retain their original glass, circa. 1350, covered with Decorated scroll work and admirably-conceived interlaced patterns with shields of arms, representing the most celebrated of the contemporary nobility and gentry of the Lancastrian party at the beginning of the 14th century ; the west window has also seven shields and some other devices : there is a finely-carved chancel screen, altar table and reredos of oak, some good carved oak benches, several piscinæ and three sedilia, without canopies : the church plate dates from 1773, and was presented by the Rev. S. Mills, then rector : most ancient monument in the church is a mutilated slab on the chancel floor, with foliage in slight relief, circa. 1250 : in the centre of the chancel, in fine preservation, is the recumbent effigy of Sir Henry Fitzherbert, knight, 5th lord of Norbury, who came into his inheritance in 1267 and rebuilt the manor house ; the figure is clad in chain armour, with a hood of the same over the head, and a surcoat, the feet resting upon a lion couchant; on an alabaster slab to the left of the above is the incised figure of a lady in a reticulated cap, representing Alis Bothe, the first wife of Nicholas Fitzherbert; on the right side is an alabaster slab, with the incised figure of a priest, vested and bearing a chalice in his hands, representing Henry Prynce, rector here from 1466 to 1500, and the constructor of the flat Perpendicular roof of the chancel: on the south side of the chancel is the fine slab altar tomb of Nicholas Fitzherbert, ob. 1473, bearing a recumbent figure of the knight, in plate armour, with a collar of suns and roses, his head supported by a helmet and his feet resting upon a lion; the two sides have small figures under canopies representing the children of his two families, in various costumes; the east end is blank, but at the west end are two female figures, perhaps of his two wives: on the north side of the chancel is an altar tomb of alabaster to Ralph Fitzherbert, ob. 1483, son of the foregoing Sir Nicholas, and his lady; the execution of this tomb is very fine and on the top are the recumbent figures of the knight, in armour, bare-headed and wearing a Yorkist collar with a boar pendent, and of his wife Elizabeth, attired in a bodice and gown and wearing a neck chain with the pendent figures of the Virgin and Child; two small dogs lie at her feet, and figures of angels supporting the pillow upon which her head rests ; the canopied sides of the tomb are occupied by effigies of their children in high relief, bearing shields : on the south side of Nicholas Fitzherbert's tomb is a white marble floor slab, with the incised figure of a female wrapped in a winding sheet, and representing Elizabeth, wife of Ralph Fitzherbert : between the two altar tombs is a large blue stone, with palimpsest brass figures of Sir Anthony Fitzherbert, knight, and Dorothy his wife; he was born at Norbury in 1470, made a serjeant-at-Iaw in 1511, knighted in 1516, and in 1532 appointed a justice of the Common Pleas ; he died in 1538 ; in the chancel is also a stone inscribed to Ann, wife of William Fitzherbert esq. (1653) : the Early English font consists of a plain basin on a base of clustered shafts, arranged so as to form a square : on the wall of the aisle is a monument to Margaret, eldest daughter of William Bowyer (1737) and Thomas, his son (1742) : in the south chapel at the south-west corner is a plain altar tomb, with alabaster sides, and on the upper slab of blue marble an inscription in brass to John Fitzherbert, 12th Lord of Norbury, and eldest son of Ralph (1530) : in 1841 the church was restored at a considerable cost, and has 200 sittings : the churchyard contains a few gravestones of some age, among which is one to the Rev. J. Drope (1629), a former rector; there is also an ancient and majestic yew. The register dates from the year 1686 for all entries, and is in good condition. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £175, with 70 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of S. W. Clowes esq. and held since 1871 by the Rev. William Hunter B.D. late fellow of St. John's College, Oxford. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Charities :-Thomas Williams, in 1687, devised to the Rev. Anthony Trollope and others, two closes in Roston containing 11 acres, the rent of which goes towards the school, in consideration of which the children are taught free : Robert Bill, in 1728, gave a close in Roston containing 4A. 0R. 28p. called the Poor's croft, with an addition of two small allotments set out by the Inclosure Commissioners; the proceeds of these lands are distributed to the poor on New Year's day: Greensmith's Charity provides a yearly sum of £2 for the poor, and is paid by the rector as being charged on property in Roston purchased by Samuel Evans, by whom the sum was paid in 1786 : there are other small charities.

The seat of Samuel William Clowes esq. D.L., J.P. situated in this parish, is a handsome modern building, standing upon an eminence and commanding extensive views. Norbury Old Hall, formerly the residence of the Fitzherberts, contains some good oak panelling and stained glass; it is now unoccupied. The soil is mixed ; subsoil, chiefly clay and gravel. The land is chiefly kept in pasture for dairy produce. The acreage is 2,240; rateable value, £4,373 ; the population in 1881 was 399.

POST OFFICE, Roston.-John Prince, receiver. Letters through Ashborne, arrive at 9.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 3.40 p.m. Ellastone is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Free School (mixed), erected in 1832 & since enlarged to hold 75 children; average attendance, 54 ; with an endowment for the free instruction of children in accordance with the devise of Thomas Williams, specified above; Frank Thomasson, master

Railway Station, Joseph Grocott, station master


Clowes Samuel William B.A., D.L., J.P. & the Hon. Adelaide
Hunter Rev. William B. D. [rector]
Oldham William, farmer
Reid William, land steward to S. W. Clowes esq
Sampson Luke, farmer
SMITH ISAAC, coach builder, wheelwright & general & shoeing smith ; supplier of all kinds of colliery, wheelwrights' & coach builders' timber & coal merchant. See advertisement



Appleby Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Appleby Edwin, farmer
Appleby Henry, farmer
Barlow Peter, farmer
Bednall Ann (Miss), cowkeeper
Bednall Harriett (Miss), dress maker
Bull Frederick, farmer
Evans George, cowkeeper
Froggart Joseph, cowkeeper
Glover William, farm bailiff to James Young esq. Birchwood park
Harrison Joseph, farmer, New house
Hewson Thomas, cowkeeper
Hudson George, farmer
Massey John Bartholomew, farmer
Middleton John, Henry & Wm. farmers
Mould James, farmer
Mould Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Nash Thomas, wheelwright
Nash William, shoe maker
Pakeman William, farmer
Prince Francis, cowkeeper
Prince James, Roston inn
Prince John, shopkeeper, Post office
Prince Samuel, farmer & joiner
Prince Thomas, cowkeeper
Roberts John, farmer
Rowe Samuel, cow keeper
Silcock John, farmer
Sillitoe James, farmer
Smith Ann (Mrs.), cowkeeper
Smith Charles, butcher
Smith Thos. farmer, Birchwood moor
Tilley James, assistant overseer
Udall William, farmer
Wagstaff Robert, shopkeeper
Woodfine Thomas, farmer
Yeoman George, cowkeeper

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Norbury and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills