Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
South Normanton, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.276 - 277
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page

SOUTH NORMANTON is a parish, 2¼ miles east from Alfreton, 7 south-west from Mansfield, 1½ east from Alfreton station on the main line of the Midland railway, in the Mid division of the county, Scarsdale hundred, Mansfield union, Alfreton petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Alfreton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The parish is well supplied with gas and water. The church, supposed to have been dedicated to St. Mary[1], is an edifice in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, organ chamber and vestry, south porch and an embattled Western tower with pinnacles and containing a clock and 5 bells, dating from 1654 to 1813 : the doorway on the south side is Norman and the porch Decorated ; the arcade of three arches on two octagonal piers separating the nave and aisle is also of this period, during which the greater part of the fabric underwent much alteration: the windows are mostly Perpendicular, to which style the tower also belongs, and may date from 1440 : the four crocketed pinnacles were added in 1813: the chancel retains two piscinæ in its south wall and has a stained east window ; there is another stained window at the west end: in the north aisle is a large and costly tomb to Robert Revel (1714) and Ann his wife, and in the porch an incised slab of the 12th century : the church was entirely rebuilt with the exception of the tower and north aisle in 1878, a south aisle together with organ chamber and vestry being added, at a total cost of about £3,000 ; during the restoration a very perfect priest's door, with dogtooth mouldings, was discovered in the south chancel wall : the church plate is of silver, and dates from 1713 : there are 400 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540 and contains a copy of the order for keeping parish registers. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £203, net yearly value £290, with residence and 39 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Rev. John Bird M.A. rector of Walton, and held since 1871 by the Rev. John Cooke Massey M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford, prebendary of Southwell, rural dean of Alfreton and surrogate. There is also a chapel of ease, seating 120 persons, and a church Sunday school, erected in 1840. There are Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist chapels and two Free Methodist chapels. The Blackwell Colliery Company have coal pits partly in this parish. Gisborne's charity of £6 12s. yearly, left by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley, in 1818, is for clothing for the poor : the Rev. Frederick Doveton's charity - being the interest of £400 given in 1873 by Miss Doveton, in memory of her brother, the late rector - is distributed among persons professing the doctrines of the Church of England, at the discretion of the rector and churchwarden. A Market is held here every Saturday. The parish is well supplied with gas and water. Carnfield Hall, the seat of Vaughan Hobbs Radford esq. is an ancient and substantial mansion in the Elizabethan style, situated in a demesne of about 50 acres. V. H. Radford esq. and William Sacheverell Coke esq. D.L., J.P. of Brookhill HalI, Alfreton, are joint lords of the manor and principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, turnips, clover and some land in pasture. The acreage is 1,934 ; rateable value, £13,165 ; the population in 1871 was 1,812, and in 1881 was 3,205.

Parish Clerk, William Barrowcliff.

POST & M. O. 0., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- William Farnsworth, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Alfreton at 8 a.m. & 3.40 p.m. ; dispatched at 9-30 a.m. & 5.40 p.m. Nearest Telegraph office is at Alfreton.

SCHOOLS :- A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1876 ; Henry Thurman, clerk to the board.
Board School, erected in 1878, for 170 boys, 140 girls & 180 infants ; average attendance, 136 boys, 108 girls & 100 infants ; Charles Green, master ; Miss C. S. Jackson, mistress ; Miss E. W. Roe, infants mistress.

The late National School is also utilized by the board as an intermediary (mixed) school; it will seat 160 ; average attendance, 120 ; Mrs. Dorothy Arch, mistress.

CARRIERS :-
Edwd. Birkin, to Mansfield every thurs. & Sutton every sat.
William Naylor, to Mansfield every thurs.
Branson Neville, The Common
Gelsthorpe John, sen. Carter Lane house
Massey Rev. John Cooke M.A. [prebendary of Southwell & Rural dean of Alfreton & surrogate], Rectory
Radford Vaughan Hobbs, Carnfield hall
Sampson Stephen, Prospect house

COMMERCIAL.

Alvey Thomas, blacksmith
Alvey William, shopkeeper
Bacon George, farmer
Bacon James, butcher, Market place
Bacon James, shopkeeper, The Common
Bacon Samuel, butcher, Church street
Bailey Joseph Machin, Devonshire Arms P.H. & farmer, High street
Ballard Walt. Elijah, fishmonger, High st
Bardill & Barker, boot & shoe rnakers, High street
Bent William, Shoulder of Mutton P.H.
Bingham John Joseph M.D. surgeon
Bingham William, Miners' Arms P.H.
Bircumshaw William, draper, milliner, clothier & general outfitter ; & large assortment of hats, caps, ties, collars &c. ; millinery in the latest fashions ; funerals completely furnished ; Manchester house & at Newton
Birkin Edward, greengrocer, High at
Bradshaw Enoch, stationer, Alfreton rd
Brooks Herbert, grocer, Church street
Brown & Hudson, furn. dlrs. Alfreton rd
Burdett Charles, tailor, hatter, hosier, woolen drpr. & gen. outfttr. Market pl
Bust Frederick, shopkeeper, Bride st
Charles Edward, beer retailer & shopkeeper, Market place
Dannah Joseph, shopkeeper, Water la
Daykin Arthur Lomas, butcher, High st
Dakin George, farmer, The Common
Dakin Wm. farmer & corn dIr. High st
Draper Robert, grocer, Market street
Dronfield Fras. Wm. shoe maker, High st
Drury Geo. draper & beer ret. Alfreton rd
Elliott Joseph, hair dresser
Ellis James, grocer, High street
Farnsworth William, chemist & druggist, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants, & insurance agent, Post Office, High street
Fletcher William, grocer, Berestow pI
Flint William, greengrocer, Water lane
Fox John Godfrey, draper, Water lane
Gelsthorpe John & Sons, maltsters & brick makers
Gelsthorpe Jn. sen. frmr. Carter Lane ho
Gelsthorpe John, jun. miller (wind)
Gent Edmund, farmer
Gent Herbert, farmer
Gent William, farmer
Gibson Richard, shopkeeper, New st
Gibson Wm. draper & clothier, High st
Goodall Arthur Wm. beer retlr. Church st
Goodall William, beer retailer
Greensill Edward Merrick, chemist, druggist, dentist & accoucheur
Hardy Joseph, shopkeeper, Alfreton rd
Haslam Chas. provision dealr. Alfreton rd
Haslam William, draper, High street
Haywood Joseph, shopkeeper, King st
Hemsley Arthur, draper, Church street
Henson Jn. beer retlr. & btchr. Church st
Herrod Geo. thrashing machine owner
Hill George, shopkeeper
Hill Joseph, shopkeeper, High Street
Jenkins Aaron, pork butcher, High st.
Jenkins Richard, shopkpr. Alfreton rd
Limb John, stone mason, The Common
Machin Joseph, Devonshire Arms P.H. High street
Malvey William, shopkeeper, High st
Mansfield John, shopkeeper, New street
Marriott William, farmer
Mart William, shopkeeper, High st
Martin James, beer retailer, High street
Merry Thomas, tailor & draper, High st
Mugglestone Stephen, farmer
Newsom Arthur, grocer, High st
Page Abraham, stationer, Victoria st
Page William, builder
Palethorpe Richd. grocer, Alfreton rd
Patten Wm. hair dresser, High street
Peat Geo. plumber & gasfitter, High st
Prime Wm. watch & clock ma. High st
Prince George, shopkeeper
Raynes Sidney Herbert L.R.C.P. Lond. physician surgeon, Church street
Renshaw Thomas, shopkeeper
Scales & Sons, boot & shoe mas. High st
Shardlow Henry, butcher, High street
Simeon Edward A. assistant surgeon to Dr. John J. Bingham, Alfreton road
Slater George, farmer
Smedley Edwin, tripe dresser
Smedley Geo. carpntr. & buildr. Church st
South Normanton District Permanent Land Society Limited (Charles Tomlinson, sec)
Spencer lsaac, beer retailer
Spencer Octavius, White Hart P.H. Church street
Stock William, shopkeeper, Ball hill
Strickland Rebecca (Mrs.), grocer & provision dealer, Market street
Swann Fletcher, Prince of Wales P.H. Water lane
Tarven Ephraim, shopkeeper, New st
Taylor George, shopkeeper & agent to the Refuge Assurance Co. New street
Taylor Gervase, shopkeeper & coal dealer, New street
Taylor Matthew, grocer, Water lane
Thompson Henry, Swan P.H.
Thorpe Robert, shopkeeper, The Common
Thurran Hy. clerk to the school board
Tomlinson Charles, shopkeeper & rate collector, Ball hill
Vardy William, shopkeeper, High st
Wainright John, shopkeeper
Walker Samuel, beer retailer, High st
Ward Solomon, confectioner, High st
Wass Thomas, miller (wind)
West Aaron, smallware dealer, High st
Weston Richard, builder, Alfreton rd
Wilkinson William, beer retailer
Wright Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Hill top
Yeomans William, agent to the Queen Fire & Life, Alfreton road


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript
Village Links


More on site information about South Normanton and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811

Also see
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills


Notes on the text:

[1] During the second half of the nineteenth century there seems to have been a difference of opinion about the dedication of South Normanton's parish church. The webmistress has checked back through various trades directories and Derbyshire histories published around the same time and earlier in the century.

The dedication was not mentioned by either Rev. Davies (1811) or the Lyson's (1817). Most really early trade directories do not provide any information but White's of 1851 and Harrison's of 1861 say it was St. Michael's at the time of their respective publications. However, Rev J. Charles Cox, describing the church as St. Mary's in one of his books on Derbyshire churches, says that "certain modern directories, with their usual perversity, ascribe the church to St. Michael, but we are not aware of the slightest foundation for this assertion" ("Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire Vol I", Hundred of Scarsdale, p284, footnote). Kelly's Directories of 1881 and 1887 agreed with the 1891 entry and state that the church was dedicated to St. Mary. By the time the Kelly's Directory of 1895 was published this had changed to "it was supposed to have been dedicated to St Michael" and this was repeated by Kelly's in 1912. In 1915, Cox, by then then Rector of Holdenby, Northampton, lists the church as being dedicated to St. Michael ("Derbyshire", 2nd ed. Methuen & Co., London, p.236). The church is now St. Michael and All Angels.