Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Ockbrook (with Borrowash), Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.280-281
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
OCKBROOK is a parish, near the Derby canal, 5½ miles east from Derby and 1 mile north from Borrowash railway station, in the Ilkeston division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Shardlow union, Derby petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Ilkeston, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of All Saints is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower with low octagonal spire, containing 3 bells, one of which is dated 1653 and the others 1664: a new font was placed in the church in 1878, in memory of the late vicar, replacing an older and still existing font of the 12th century: the tower, which also forms the chief entrance to the church, is an interesting example of the Transition style from Norman to Early English, temp. Henry II. : the spire is of later date, probably of the time of Edward III. : a finely carved oak screen of the 16th century separates the nave and chancel and the choir stalls are of the same period: the stained east window, brought from the Wigston Hospital, Leicestershire, represents the four Evangelists : the brass lectern is a memorial of the Rev. Gerard Smith: the church was enlarged in 1835 and repaired at a cost of £700 : the church plate includes a small silver chalice of the time of Edward VI. : there are 400 sittings. The register dates from the year 1642, but is irregular from 1662 to 1669. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £110, including 65½ acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Edward Henry Pares esq. J.P. and held since 1877 by the Rev. Lewis Lewis B.A. of Lampeter Theological College, who is also assistant curate of St. Bartholomew's Camberwell, London, and resides at 71 Avondale square, S E. The Rev. Robert Lethbridge Farmer, of St. Aidan's, has been curate in charge since 1885. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. An establishment for Moravians was founded here in 1750, and comprises boarding schools for about 60 boys and 40 girls, with a chapel seating about 350 persons. Behind the chapel is a burial-ground ; the Rev. Bennet Harvey [Moravian], minister. A handsome monument of marble and Caen stone has been erected in the hall by former pupils to Lieut. Charles Hearsey, of this school, who fell in the Cheardeh Valley, near Cabul, in 1879. The charities are £14 14s. yearly. E. H. Pares esq. J.P. of Hopwell Hall, who is lord of the manor, W. Drury N. Drury-Lowe esq. D.L., J.P. Locko Park, and the Rev. Maurice Allen Smelt M.A. of Heath Lodge, Cheltenham, are the principal landowners. The soil is sand and gravel; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, oats and some pasture land. The area is 1,619 acres ; rateable value, £10,042; the population in 1881, including the village of Borrowash, was 1,938.

Sexton, John Winterton.

POST, M. O. & T.O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Miss Eliza Beesly, postmistress. Letters are received from Derby, arrive at 7 a.m. & 5 p.m. ; dispatched at 8 p.m

National School (mixed), erected in 1848 by voluntary subscriptions, for 165 children & 70 infants; average attendance, 98 children & 39 infants; James Arthur Stevenson, master; Mrs. Jane Siddall, mistress

CARRIER TO DERBY.-Joseph Cope, tues. & fri

Borrowash is a village in Ockbrook parish, with a station on the Midland railway, 4 miles east from Derby and 130 from London. The mission church of St. Stephen was erected 1889-90, at a cost of about £1,100, the foundation stone being laid by Mrs. Robert Lethbridge Farmer, November, 1889, and the church opened by the Bishop of Southwell in Sept. 1890 ; it is or brick with stone facings and has a chancel screen and pulpit of wrought iron exquisitely designed and over 200 years old, the gift of E. H. Pares esq. J.P. of Hopwell Hall, who also gave the site for the church, which affords 200 sittings. Divine service is conducted by the Rev. R. L. Farmer, curate in charge of Ockbrook. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. At SHACKLECROSS, to the east, there is a water and steam flour mill, now disused.

POST OFFICE.-Benjamin Hooley, receiver. Letters arrive from Derby at 5.30 a.m. & 4.30 p.m. ; dispatched at 8.10 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Ockbrook. The telegraph office is at the railway Station. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.

National School (mixed), erected in 1840, at the expense of the Rev. Samuel Hey, for 130 boys & girls & 80 infants ; average attendance, 109 boys & girls & 48 infants ; John W. Brown, master; Miss Walton, mistress.

Railway Station, Richard Foskett, station master

Ockbrook.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Adderton William
Anthony John
Arkwright Mrs. Ockbrook house
Baker William
Band Henry
Beesly George
Eldred Miss
Farmer Rev. Robert Lethbridge (curate in charge), The Vicarage
Gorham Mrs. Hillside
Gorham Mrs
Gratton Thomas
Harvey Rev. Bennet, Moravian settlemnt
Harvey Miss Mary E. The Settlement
Hey Miss
Holly William, Mount cottage
Hunt John Aspinall, The Poplars
Mallalieu Mrs. Moravian settlement
Mallalieu Rev. James Montgomery (principal of the Moravian Boys' Boarding school), Moravian settlemnt
Richardson Timothy
Shaw Joseph
Sowter Misses
Spencer Mrs
Summer Mrs
Thomson John, Manor house
Warwick James Alfred, Brook cottage
Wheatley Thomas

COMMERCIAL.

Ashton William, painter
Bennett William, farmer
Blackwell Herbert, butcher
Booth Eliza (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Chevin John, farmer
Chevin Thomas, farmer
Cook Thomas, farmer
Cope Joseph, farmer & carrier
Draycott George, beer retailer
Handley Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Hobill Mary (Mrs.), butcher
Hudson William, shoe maker
Hunt John Aspinall L.R.C.P. Edin. surgeon, The Poplars
Hunt Edwd. farmer, Bartlewood lodge
Juffs James, baker
Kerry George, farmer
Kerry Robert, baker & flour dealer
Ling Richard, farmer, Burn wood
Middleton Gertrude (Miss),beer retailer
Moravian School (Rev. James Montgomery Mallalieu, principal), pupils prepared for examination, Moravian settlement
Moravian Ladies' School (Miss Mary Elzh. Harvey, principal ), The Settlemnt
Nadin George, blacksmith
Nadin Joseph, hosier & glover
Naylor John, Scotland farm
Orchard Jacob, grocer
Orchard William Henry, clerk
Paige Edwin, clerk
Peat Henry, Royal Oak P.H.
Plowright Thomas, shoe maker
Richdale Thos.Arthr. Queen's Head P.H.
Salisbury William, market gardener
Smith Edward, farmer
Sims Jesse, farmer
Simms Samuel, cab proprietor
Smith William, farmer
Spencer Joseph, tailor
Spencer Richard, farmer, Bartlewood
Stevens Alice (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Stevens William, grocer & linen draper

Borrowash.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Alton Hepworth, The Manor house
Barron John, Borrow Field house
Barron William
Bartsch Eugene
Birkenshaw Joseph
Cartwright Alfred
Challinor Miss, Bolton house
Clarke Mrs
Kirkup A. G
Newcombe Robert James
Pike Mrs. Derwent house
Rylands Alfred, Campbell house
Smith Joseph
Stone John
Towle Henry Neville
Towle Miss
Towle Miss, Bloso house
Watson Mrs
Withers George
Whysall John

COMMERCIAL.

Allcock William, shoe maker
Asquith Henry, butcher
Barron William & Son, landscape gardeners & nurserymen
Bailey Abraham, greengrocer
Boddington Mary Ann (Mrs.), coal dlr
Bott Samuel, market gardener
Brennan John, builder
Burge Bertram, pork butcher
Burton William, shoe maker
Co-operative Stores (Arth. Henshaw, sec)
Cotton George, insurance agent
Danks William Henry, manager for Messrs. William Barron & Son
Dutton Eliza (Mrs.). shopkeeper
Elson Job, beer retailer
Gee Alfred Hellry. grocer & draper
Golby Thomas, chimney sweeper
Hunt Herbert Thomas, farmer
Jones Fredk. mangr. to F. Wilkinson & Co.
Keenan Mary (Mrs.), Wilmot Arms P.H.
Lennard Richard, boot maker
Litchfield John, farmer
Meynell Frank, farmer
Moore Henry Bernard, wheelwright
Overin William, grocer
Phipps Charles, shopkeeper
Rushton Aaron, butcher
Savage Herbert, Noah's Ark P.H
Sketchley W. J. reg. of births & deaths
Smith Joseph, chimney sweep
Smith Thomas, coal dealer
Sneap Thomas, farmer
Towle John & Co. cotton doublers
White Joseph, Nag's Head P.H
Wilkinson Frank & Co. lace manufrs
Winterton William, butcher
Wright John, builder


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Ockbrook and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811