Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Quarndon, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.286
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
QUARNDON is a parish 3 miles north-north-west from Derby, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Belper union, Derby petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Duffield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell, and is a healthily situated village, possessing mineral springs of some repute. The original church or chapel of Quarndon, anciently annexed to All Saints', Derby, was a building in the Norman style, 44 feet by 15 feet, with a good Norman south doorway; about 1835 it was considerably enlarged : the only portion of the old church now remaining is the tower, covered with ivy. The present church of St. Paul, erected in 1874, at a coat of £4.000, is a building of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with a short octagonal spire, containing one bell, of the same date as the church : there is a mural monument to John James Simpson esq. (1880) : the font is of Derbyshire spar, and was presented by the builders : there are 365 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1772, of marriages from 1755, and of burials from 1821. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £143, with 36 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Lord Scarsdale, and held since 1870 by the Rev. William George Nourse K.C. Lond. The vicar has in his possession an account of money left for the augmentation of the living (1786), and a terrier of glebe lands and other rights belonging to the church at Quarndon (1751). Here is a Wesleyan chapel built in 1857. There is a village lending library of 200 volumes and a reading room supported by voluntary contributions and small contributions by the members. The former sulphur baths in Kedleston Park are now closed. Here are several good residences and some lodging houses, the village being much frequented by visitors in summer. Lord Scarsdale is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is sand and clay in the high lands, sandy and loam in the lower lands ; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat and barley; the greatest portion is pasture land. The acreage is 778 ; rateable value, £2,490 ; the population in 1881 was 555.

Parish Clerk, John Thomas Lowe.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Elizabeth Spalton, postmistress. Letters arrive through the Derby office at 6.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 7p.m

WALL LETTER Box cleared 6.30 p.m. except sundays

Lord Scarsdale's Endowed School (mixed), erected, with master's house, in 1861 & supported in part by endowment, for 90 children; average attendance, 49; Robert Rylatt, master

CARRIERS TO DERBY.-John Thomas Lowe, fri. leave Quarndon 10 a. m. 'Dolphin' 3.30p.m. ; Geo. Booth, daily

Brentnall Charles, The Mount
Barwick William, Rock house
Bryer Mrs. Park view
Cox Miss, Fairfield house
Coleman John Frederick, Hill cottage
Compton William McGrath
Dakin Thomas, Elm bank
Eaton Miss, The Cottage
Gawler Miss, Fairfield house
Hamlet John
Hickman Thomas Poole, The Grange
Husbands John, The Elms
Jervis Hon. Wm. Monk B.C.L., D.L., J.P
Kendrick Miss Lucy Dorothy, Rose cot
Nourse Rev. Wm. Geo. K.C.L. Vicarage
Richardson William Milward, Hill brow
Sale Robert, Park view
Skevington Mrs. Mulberry cottage
Smith William
Smith William J. The Edge
Stevens Miss, The Oaklands
Walton George, The Knoll
Williamson John Stonehouse, Hill bank

Alcock Thomas, lodging house
Archer Henry R. farmer, Kedleston ho
Ault William, farmer, Common
Booth George, carrier & grocer
Brailsford Henry, land agent to Lord Scarsdale, Park nook
Clark Philip, shoe maker
Clark Edward, farmer, Park nook
Downing John, lodging house, Oak cot
Fearn Job, grocer
Ford Arthur, farmer & baker
Hampshire Charles & George Joiners' Arms P.H. builder & wheelwright blacksmith &c
Keeling Lucy (Miss), farmer, Montpelier Library & Reading Room (John Downing, librarian)
Lowe Jn. Thos. carrier, & cabs, hansoms wagonettes, carriages &c. for hire
Moorcroft William, boot maker
Osborne Samuel, farmer
Porter Emma (Mrs.), lodging house
Shotton Thomas, tailor
Slack Charles, butcher
Tarr Ann (Miss), day school
Winterton Charles Edward, farmer
Williamson Matilda (Miss), lodging house Hill bank
Woodhouse John, dairyman

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Quarndon and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills