Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Sheldon, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.298
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
SHELDON is a parish formed out of Bakewell, 3 miles west from Bakewell and 2½ from Longstone station on the Ambergate and Manchester section of the Midland railway, in the Western division of the county, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, rural deanery of Bakewell, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The village is situated on an eminence and commands varied and extensive views of the surrounding country : the water supply is derived from springs. The church of St. Michael and All Angels, erected in 1865, is a building of stone, in the Gothic style, and takes the place of a more ancient edifice formerly standing in the village street, with the materials of which it is partially constructed ; it consists of apsidal chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell : there are 140 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1813 and of burials from 1853, other entries being made at Bakewell, and there is a record of a singular marriage between a woman of eighty and a lad of fourteen at this chapel in the 17th century. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Ashford, joint gross yearly value £250, in the gift of the vicar of Bakewell, and held since 1871 by the Rev. John Reddaway Luxmoore of St. Bees, who resides at Ashford. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here. There are two charities of about £13 annual value. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is principally limestone ; subsoil, stone beds or shale. The land is used for grazing. The acreage is 1,070 ; rateable value, £1,048; the population in 1881 was 169.

Letters by messenger from Bakewell arrive at 9.20 a. m. Ashford is the nearest money order & Bakewell the nearest telegraph office

National School (mixed), erected in 1878, for 36 children ; average attendance, 24 ; Miss Elizabeth Needham, mist


Bateman William, farmer
Blamey Catherine (Miss), shopkeeper
Bonsall John, farmer
Bramwell George, farmer
Brocklehurst Critchlow, farmer
Brocklehurst John, farmer
Brocklehurst Thomas WiIliam, farmer
Brocklehurst William, farmer
Frost James, saw mills, & farmer
Frost Michael, farmer
Frost Michael, jun. farmer
Furniss Thomas, farmer
Gyte Anthony (Mrs.), Devonshire Arms P.H. & farmer
Harrison John, farmer
Naylor William, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Sheldon and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills