Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Smisby, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.301-302
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
SMISBY (or SHITHSBY) is a village and parish on the south-east border of the county, 1½ miles north-by-west from Ashby-de-la-Zouch and about 9 south-east from Burton, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Swadlincote petty sessional division, Ashby-de-la-Zouch union and county court district, rural deanery of Repton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. James is a building of grey sandstone consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing a clock and 2 bells, dated respectively 1617 and 1622: it was chiefly erected in the 14th century, the tower, added towards the close of the 15th century, being Perpendicular : the nave is separated from the aisle by three low pointed 14th century arches. and has a flat roof supported by several moulded tie beams: the chancel and tower walls are panelled with oak of 16th century date, carved in the linen fold pattern: in the chancel is a handsome monument to Henry Kendall, ob. 18 April, 1627, with kneeling figures of himself and his wife, 9 sons and 7 daughters below, and an inscription : against the west wall is a large alabaster slab with the figure of a lady sculptured in slight relief and an inscription now almost defaced, identified as the monument of Joan, daughter and heiress of Comyn of Smisby, and wife, first of William de Shepey and afterwards of Sir William de Bakepuze ; he died 3rd March, 1350 : there are 160 sittings, 20 being free. The register, in good condition, dates from the year 1679. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £65, including 23½ acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Donington, who is lay impropriator, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Robert Leitch M.A. of Glasgow University, who is also vicar of and resides at Blackfordby, Leicestershire. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. Within 200 yards of the village is the spot where the tournament was held, described by Sir Walter Scott, in his novel of "Ivanhoe." A legacy left by two maiden ladies, consisting of land now let at £49 yearly, is at the disposal of trustees fr the maintenance of the fabric of the church. Old Park House is the residence of the Hon. Paulyn Francis Cuthbert Rawdon-Hastings J.P. Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe bart. D.L., J.P. and Lord Donington, who is lord of the manor, are the principal landowners. The soil varies ; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1,220 acres ; rateable value (including Boundary), £2,175; the population in 1881 was 289, and of the ecclesiastical parish 324. In 1880 by the Divided Parishes Act a detached part of Repton, known as Daniel Hayes fann, was added to this parish,

Parish Clerk, Henry Peat.

Sexton, J. Pigott.

WALL LETTER Box cleared at 6.45 p.m. Letters through Ashby arrive at 7 a.m. Ashby-de-la-Zouch is the nearest money order & telegraph office

National School (mixed), was founded by Sir George Crewe & still remains the property or the family. Sir John Crewe, the late baronet, spent over £100 in transforming a farmhouse into the present school buildings, which hold 60 children; average attendance, 40; Mrs. Eva Mary Jenkins, mistress

Bradley Thomas, The Elms
Cockram Mrs
Page Miss, Smisby cottage
Rawdon-Hastings Hon. Paulyn Francis Cuthbert J.P. & Lady Maud, Old Park house
Sherwood George
Woodward Misses
Woodward Miss Fanny

COMMERCIAL.

Bailey Charles, miller (wind & steam)
Bailey Samuel, blacksmith
Bailey Thomas, farmer
Blakesley Geo. farmer, Boundary house
Flint William, farmer & overseer
Grundy John, farmer
Harrison Mrs. farmer
Hitchcock Charles, farmer & grocer
Higgins Charles, Admiral Nelson P.H. & registrar of births & deaths for Hartshorne sub-district
Lee Roland, farmer
Newbold John, farmer
Orton Thomas, joiner
Roome John, Malt Shovel P.H
Sale Richard, farmer
Sale William, farmer, Smisby house


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Smisby and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills