Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Sutton cum Duckmanton, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.310
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
SUTTON-cum-DUCKMANTON is a parish and village, pleasantly situated 4½ miles south-east from Chesterfield, the nearest railway station, in the Chesterfield division of the county, hundred of Scarsdale, Chesterfield County court district, petty sessional division and union, rural deanery of Chesterfield, archdeaconry of Derby and Diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Mary, adjoining the south side of the Hall, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 4 bells: in the chancel is a memorial window to Robert Arkwright esq. : there is also a marble monument to Samuel Pierrepont esq. and brasses to the Arkwright family: a new pulpit of oak has been placed in the church in memory of the late Rev. M. M. Humble M.A. rector of this parish 1839-89 : an eagle lectern of oak has also been presented by a parishioner : the church was reseated in 1886, and has 250 sittings, 70 being free. The register dates from the year 1662 for all entries. The living is a rectory, consolidated with the village of Duckmanton, average tithe rent-charge £242, with 58½ acres of glebe, gross yearly value, £320, with residence, in the gift of William Arkwright esq. and held since 1889 by the Rev. Norman Conolly Robertson, of Lichfield College. Sutton Hall is a splendid edifice of the Corinthian order, built in the 17th century by Nicholas (Leke) 2nd Earl of Scarsdale, of that family, and is situated on a bold eminence, overlooking an extensive deer-park and the fine old ruins and keep of Bolsover Castle : it is now the seat of William Arkwright esq. who is lord of the manor. Sutton Rock, a beautiful residence a short distance from Sutton Hall, built by William Arkwright esq. is now occupied by A. W. Barnes esq. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The land is very fertile. The area is 4,296 acres ; rateable value, £9,782 ; the population in 1881 was 477.

DUCKMANTON, 2 miles north from the church, was originally a separate parish. The chapel here, erected on the site of the parish church of St. Peter, is a structure of brick with stone facings, consisting of nave and a bell cot containing one bell: many interesting relics of the old church still exist in various parts of the parish; the old churchyard (now closed) was very extensive, and much of the land is now incorporated in adjacent farms. Coal and ironstone are found in abundance here. The soil is strong clay; subsoil, clay. Two-thirds of the land is pasture.

POST OFFICE, Sutton.-Clement Watkinson, receiver. Letters arrive from Chesterfield at 6.45 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.25 p.m. ; no delivery or despatch on sunday. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Heath

POST OFFICE, Duckmanton.-Mrs. Sarah Grace Bunting, receiver. Letters received through Chesterfield arrive at 7,30 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. ; no delivery or despatch on sunday. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Bolsover

Endowed School, Duckmanton (mixed), erected on the site of the old parish school (date unknown), for 120 children ; average attendance, 73 ; Herbert Till, master

Sutton.

Arkwright William, Sutton hall
Barnes A. Winter, Sutton rock

COMMERCIAL.
Brooks Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Cantrill George, farmer, Sutton lodge
Cowley Mark, farmer, Ewe Tree farm
Drury Charles, head gamekeeper to William Arkwright esq
Duncan John, head gardener to William Arkwright esq
Ecob Charles, farm bailiff to William Arkwright esq.
Fisher John, farmer
Hayes Thomas, farmer, Coppice farm
Machin William, farmer, Sutton springs
Nixon Robert, farmer, Haag farm
Pemberton Joseph, farmer, Sutton lane
Simms Harry, farmer
Thorpe Jas. farmer, Sutton Lane farm
Tomlinson Henry, farmer, Deepdale
Winson William, farmer, Longcourse

Duckmanton.

Byron Augustus Wentworth, Duckmanton lodge
Robertson Rev. Norman Conolly, Sutton rectory
Barlow William, farmer
Bennett John, farmer
Berry Joseph, farmer, Blue lodge
Britt George, farmer
Brookes Elizabeth (Miss), farmer
Bunting Sarah Grace (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Post office
Burnam Rchd. farmr. Moor Top Stud fm
Byron Augustus Wentworth, land agent to William Arkwright esq. Duckmanton lodge
Cantrill Israel, farmer, The Poplars
Cowlishaw John, blacksmith
Dawson James, farmer
Dunn James, farmer
Hall William, farmer
Hallam Richard H. Arkwright Arms P.H
Hardwick John, farmer, Lodge farm
Hodson William, farmer
Holes Isaac, cowkeeper
Parker Francis Rogers, butcher
Parker William, farmer
Pearce Mary Ann (Mrs.) & Thos. farmers
Roberts William (Mrs.), farmer
Sales Joseph, farmer
Simms John, farmer, Manor House farm
Slater James, farmer, Far Duckmanton
Vickers Joseph, farmer
Walker William, farmer
Watkinson Emma (Mrs.), cowkeeper
Winter John, farmer, Primrose farm


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Sutton cum Duckmanton and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811 [Sutton in the Dale]
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills

The ARKWRIGHT family. mentioned above, descend from Sir Richard Arkwright. There is a great deal about Sir Richard Arkwright elsewhere on this website. Here are a few pages to look at:
Arkwright and his Masson Mill
'The Beauties of England and Wales' (1802) cotton manufacturing, the mills, Willersley & the surrounding area, Sir Richard Arkwright
Engraving of Willersley Castle