Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Tansley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 314-315
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
TANSLEY is a township and parish, formed in July, 1844, from the parish of Crich, and is 1 miles east from Matlock station and 150 miles from London, in the Western division of the county, Wirksworth hundred and county court district, Matlock district petty sessions, Bakewell union, rural deanery of Bakewell, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The boundaries were altered 19 May, 1865, so as to include part of Matlock parish (The Cliff), which is attached to Tansley for ecclesiastical purposes. The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1840, is a building of stone, consisting of a nave of three bays, north aisle, west porch, and a western tower with pinnacles containing a clock and one bell : it was restored and reseated in 1869, when the north aisle was added : there are 270 sittings, 200 being free. The register dates from the year 1841. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £42, with 34 acres of glebe, net yearly value £190, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Crich, and held since 1890 by the Rev. John Brodie Stuart Mais Lic. Theol. of Durham University. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, erected in 1829, and a Free Methodist chapel, built in 1864, at a cost of £340. The Liberal Club, a plain stone building, was erected in 1888, at a cost of £200. There is a smallware manufactory and a mill for spinning lambswool, and some bleaching works and hosiery manufactory. The principal landowners are Childers C. Radford esq. J.P. U. Unwin-Heathcote esq. M.A. Shepalbury, Stevenage, and the Rev. C. Wolley Dod MA of Edge Hall, Malpas ; there are also several small freeholders. The soil is light loam and clay ; subsoil, grit. The chief crops are wheat, oats and grass. The area of the township is 1,137 acres ; rateable value, £2,000 ; the population in 1881 of the township was 678, and of the parish 930.
Sexton, Samuel Holmes.
POST OFFICE, Francis Dennis, receiver. Letters through Matlock Bath arrive at 9 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.50 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Matlock Green & nearest telegraph office at Matlock Bank. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.
WALL LETTER BOXES:- Cliff, cleared 6.30 p.m ; Upper Tansley, cleared 6 p.m. week days only.

Church National School (mixed), built, with a master's house, in 1843 & enlarged in 1890 at a cost of £400, for 300 children ; average attendance, 70 boys, 70 girls & 80 infants ; Thomas McMunn, master

Marked thus * in Matlock parish


Clark William, Holly villa
*Hurd Robert Daniel, Portland grange
Lowe, Robert Oak lodge
*Macdonald Jas. Brimton, Portland grng
Mais Rev. John. Brodie Stuart L.Th. Rectry
Pike Walter, Fern bank
Radford Childers Chas J.P. Tansley wood
Smith Joseph Arrow, Roper house


Allen William, farmer, The Moor
Barber, John, rope maker
Bennett Robert, wheelwright
Blackwell George, shopkeeper
Boden George, stone merchant, Poor Lots Grindstone quarry & at Matlock Green. See advertisement.
*Briddon James, blacksmith
*Briddon John, grocer &c.
Bridge Andrew, stone mer. Tansley Moor
*Brown Thomas, farmer, The Moor
Dean Samuel, farmer, Knabb Hall farm
*Drabble F. H. BLEACHER, Tansley Wood mills
Dennis Francis, stationer & joiner, Post office
Farnsworth Richd. Bleacher, Lumsdale
*Fentem Thomas, farmer
Forbes William, farm bailiff to C. C. Radford esq. Home farm
Gregory Benjamin, farmer, The Moor
*Gregory John, joiner & timber dealer
Gregory Wm. timber mer. & saw mills
Haslam, Job, farmer
Higdon Thomas, farmer, Sunnyside
Hole George, farmer, The Moor
Hughes Andrew, farmer, The Moor
*Hurd, Son & Co. hosiery manufacturers, Portland Grange mills
LOWE ROBERT, smallwear manufr. Tansley mill, & wool stapler, Leawood
McMunn Thomas, assistant overseer & schoolmaster
*Marriott Matthew, boot maker
Marsh Herbert, grocer
Mycock William, hydropathic establishment, Tansley house
Oscroft Harriet (Mrs.), shopkeeper
*Poyser Benjamin, grocer, Cliff
Roberts John, chimney sweep
Shaw William,, farmer, The Moor
Scholes James Howard, manager to Tansley mill
Smith James, nurseryman
Smith Joseph arrow, nurseryman & florist, Tansley Old nursery. See advert
Spendlove Job, farmer
Spendlove William, farmer
STALEY WILLIAM (MRS.), comfortable apartments, with or without board, The Grove
Stone Stephen (Mrs.), Gate inn, & farmer
Tansley Institute & Reading Rooms (Thomas McMunn, sec.)
Tansley Liberal Club (Jas. H. Scholes, sec)
Taylor Benj. Farmer, Spouthouse farm
Taylor George, George & Dragon P.H.
*Taylor Thomas, Royal Oak P.H. & farmer; good stabling accommodatn
Twigg Thomas (Mrs.), farmer
Twigg William, farmer
Watts David, farmer
Whitaker Hannah (Miss), shopkeepr
Wilson Robert, farmer, Lumsdale
Wragg George, stone merchant

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Tansley and the surrounding area
Matlock and Matlock Bath website. Until the latter part of the nineteenth century, part of Tansley was in the Parish of Matlock. The Matlock website has a good deal of information about this part of Tansley, which includes Riber.
Boden's advert - see Stone Quarrying, Matlock
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Matlock

Also see
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills