Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Tissington, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.320-321
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page

Is the surname
DAKIN (or DAYKIN) mentioned in your old Tissington wills or documents?
If so, please
email webmistress
TISSINGTON, anciently "TlSCINCTUNA," is a parish and village, 4 miles north from Ashborne, the nearest station, on the Churnet Valley section of the North Staffordshire railway, in the Western division of the county, Wirksworth hundred, Ashborne union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Ashborne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Mary is a building of stone in the Early Norman style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, north aisle, south porch and low embattled western tower of massive character, containing 3 bells, 2 of which are dated 1815: the north aisle was erected in 1854, at the cost of Miss Fitzherbert : the chancel is separated from the nave by a Norman arch, and upon the north side is a lofty monument reaching nearly to the roof and divided into two compartments, the uppermost containing two figures kneeling over a tablet inscribed to Sir John Fitzherbert (1642), and the lower compartment two similar figures also kneeling over a tablet to Francis Fitzherbert esq. (1619) ; at the east end is a memorial to James Fitzherbert (1808) and on the south side of the church a monument to William Fitzherbert esq. recorder of Derby ( 1739) : in the chancel are brasses to Frances Rafela, 4th daughter of Sir Henry Fitzherbert bart. and wife of the Rev. G. H. Arkwright, d. 1849; Sir Reynold Abel Alleyne bart. d. 14 Feb. 1870; and to the Right Hon. Sir Alleyne Fitzherbert, Baron St. Helen's P. C., G.C.B. and lord of the bed-chamber to George III, George IV. and William IV. d. 1839; there is also in the chancel a small brass to Robert Fitzherbert and his two wives (1545-1595), with three shields bearing the respective coats of his father, grandfather and great-grandfather, the first of whom died 1515; and an alabaster monument to Henry Fitzherbert (1840) : there are two stained windows on the south side of the church, which was reseated in 1853 with open oak benches : the south doorway is Norman and has a tympanum with grotesque heads and other figures; the tower is also of that date, though Early English buttresses have been added and the roof altered in the 13th century: the churchyard is undulating and contains the remains of an ancient churchyard cross : the silver-gilt communion plate dates from 1715. The register of baptisms and marriages dates from the year 1658, and of burials from 1659 ; these are all in excellent condition. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £3, gross yearly value £99, with residence, in the gift of Sir William Fitzherbert bart. and held since 1876 by the Rev. James Fitzherbert M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. Catherine Port, of Ilam, by her will, dated 1722, left £5 yearly for the instruction of eight poor children within the parish: the Fitzherbert Charity, left in 1738, amounts to £16 yearly and is distributed. Here is a small Primitive Methodist chapel. There is a cotton mill at Woodeaves, distant about a mile from the village, now worked by the Woodeaves Company. Tissington Hall, a fine old Elizabethan mansion close to the village and approached by an avenue more than half a mile in length, is the seat of Sir William Fitzherbert bart. J.P., D.L. who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Tissington was the scene of a severe contest between the Royalist and Parliamentary forces during the Civil Wars. This village is remarkable for its perpetuation of an ancient rural custom called "well-flowering," or "well-dressing ;" the festivities take place on Holy Thursday, when the five wells from which the inhabitants are supplied with water are tastefully and elaborately decorated with the choicest flowers of the season, disposed in elegant and fanciful devices; the figures intended to be represented are first cut out in wood, which is then covered with moist clay and the flowers inserted therein; in this way many very beautiful designs, introducing mottoes and emblematic figures, are most skilfully produced ; the village is thronged during the day with visitors, and at a time arranged a procession is formed and a special service held at the church, the village throughout the day presenting a most brilliant and altogether unique appearance. The soil is mixed; subsoil, chiefly clay. The land is chiefly in pasture for dairy produce. The acreage is 2,307; rateable value, £3,611; the population in 1881 was 352.

Parish Clerk, Lewis Smith.
POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Lewis Smith, postmaster. Letters received through Ashborne, arrive at 7.20 a.m. & dispatched at 5.15 p.m. Parwich is the nearest telegraph office

WALL LETTER Box, Woodeaves mill, cleared at 5.30 p.m
Free School (mixed), erected in 1837, for 58 children; average attendance, 35 ; with an endowment of about £60 yearly, from the family of Fitzherbert ; Richard Wain, master; Mrs. Caroline Wain, sewing mistress

CARRIER.-John Widdowson, to Ashborne, every sat
Fitzherbert Sir William bart. D.L., J.P. The Hall
Fitzherbert Rev. James M.A. Vicarage
Tattersall Cornelius, Woodeaves

COMMERCIAL.
Dicken Mark Anthony, farmer, Tissington wood
Draycott Jn. & Son, farmrs. Bassett wd
Fernihough John, farmr. Sharplow farm
Fletcher John D. farmer
Fletcher William, farmer
Hambleton Martha (Mrs.), farmer
Hambleton William, farmer
Hand Henry, farmer & cattle dealer
Hand William, farmer & cattle dealer
Harrison William, butcher & farmer, Green farm
Lemon Thomas, farmer, Priest's road
Morley Joseph, farm bailiff & gamekeeper to Sir William Fitzherbert bart. D.L., J.P
Smith Abraham, grocer & provision dealer & dealer in tobacco & farmer
Smith Dorothy (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Smith Frank, farmer, Rush-a-cliff farm
Smith Lewis, postmaster, shoe maker, farmer, & parish clerk
Smith William, timber merchant, builder, contractor & wheelwright; dealer in roofing tiles, quarries, sanitary pipes, plaster, cement &c
Spencer Ann (Miss), farmer
Stone William, Lees farm
Twigge Geo. Wm. farmr. Crakelow frm
Vickers John, farmer, The Shaws
Wain Richard, schoolmaster & registrar of births & deaths for Calton sub-dist
White Saml. farmer, Woodeaves farm
Widdowson John, carrier & farmer, Dillcroft farm
Williamson Joseph, farmer, Bent farm
Woodeaves Co. Limited, cotton doublers, Woodeaves mill
Wright Samuel, farmer & stone mason, Flat's castle
Wright William, shoeing & general smith& agricultural implement agent & repairer
Yates John Milton, manager to the Woodeaves Co


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Tissington and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills