Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Weston-upon-Trent, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 323-4
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
WESTON-UPON-TRENT is a parish, with a station on the Derby, Castle Donington and Trent branch line of the Midland railway, 120 miles from London and 7 south-east-by-south from Derby, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Shardlow union, Derby petty sessional division and county court district; rural deanery of Melbourne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The Trent and Mersey canal runs through the parish. The ancient church of St, Mary is a building of local stone, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles of extreme width, south porch and an embattled western tower with octagonal spire containing 3 bells : the chancel is Early English ; with a stained east window, three small stained lancet windows on the south side and two plain lancets on the north : the arcades of the nave with their lofty pointed arches, graceful columns and neatly moulded capitals are also Early English, but of a much later period : the windows of the south aisle are 13th century Geometrical, and those in the north aisle Decorated or Transitional : the massive tower belongs to the beginning of the Rectilinear period, about 1360, the porch is an antique structure of oak and brick work, probably added at the commencement of last century : the font is dated 1661, there are handsome sedilia and a piscina on the south side of the chancel and two piscinæ in the aisles ; on the porch wall of the chancel is a mural tablet to Richard SaIe ob.1615; prebendary of Lichfield and "parson of this church," and Dorothy his wife ; the quaint kneeling effigies of these, with their two sons and six daughters and others of two infants, formerly placed in the sedilia, were, on the restoration of the church in 1877, removed to the east end of the south aisle : in 1877 the floor of the chancel and choir was raised and inlaid with encaustic tiles, the ancient stonework of the church exposed, the roof repaired and the interior partly reseated, and in the course of the work the foundations of an earlier tower were discovered : an oaken bier, dated 1653, is still in use : there are 350 sittings. The registers from the year 1565 and until 1586 are on paper, then ensues a gap till 1610, except a few entries in 1605 ; the remainder are on parchment. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value £594, including 303 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Sir Robert Rodney Wilmot bart. and held since 1863 by the Rev. John Wadham M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels here. The interest of £60, left by Mrs. Ann Holden, in 1766, is distributed annually, at the discretion of the minister and churchwardens. Sir Robert Rodney Wilmot bart. D.L. of Osmaston Hall, and E. H. Pares esq. of Hopwell Hall, are the principal landowners. E. C. S. Holden esq. J.P. of Aston Hall, Derby, is lord of the manor. At the beginning of the Civil war, an engagement was fought at King's Mill ford near here, then held by the Royalists, and several of the slain seem to have been buried in the churchyard ; the parish register, under date July 4th, 1644, records "some souldiers byryed of ye garrison," and on the 7th of August following, " Duck, a souldier buryed." The soil is chiefly a fine sandy loam ; with some stiff clay; subsoil, chiefly gravel. The land is half grass, half arable. The acreage is 1,959; rateable value, £4,242 ; the population in 1881 was 292.

Parish Clerk William Rose.

WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 6.30 p.m. week days, 8 a.m. Sundays. Letters through Derby arrive at 7.30 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Aston-on-Trent. There is a telegraph office for public use at the Midland Railway Station in the village

National School (mixed), erected in 1842 to hold 60 children ; average attendance, 35; Miss E. A. Taylor, mistress

Railway Station, Thomas Parker, station master

Porter John, The Hall
Wadham Rev. John, M.A. Rectory

COMMERCIAL.
Bullock John, farmer
Clayton Henry, Old Cliff inn, & farmer
Titchett John, shopkeeper
Gibson Christopher, farmer
Greasley, Edwd. Old Plough inn, & farmr
Hollingsworth Jn. frmr. Weston fields fm
Hollingworth Jn. Frost, farmer Hill frm
Merry John Cholerton, commrel. trav
Moseley (Mrs.), farmer
Parker Thomas, coal dealer
Pegg James, provision dealer
Porter Isaac, builder
Porter Joseph, farmer, Hall
Rose William, farmer
Shaw Robert, cowkeeper
Shreeve Theresa (Mrs.), farmer
Smith Jacob Botham, farmer
Weston William, lock keeper
Wilkins Mary (Miss), farmer


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Weston-upon-Trent and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills