Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Willesley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.326
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
WILLESLEY is a township and parish on the south-east border of the county, 1½ miles south-west from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, 9 south-east from Burton-upon-Trent and 15 west from Derby, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Swadlincote petty sessional division, Ashby-de-la-Zouch union and county court district, rural deanery of Repton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Thomas, beautifully situated close to the Hall, is a building of stone dating generally from the first half of the 14 century, and consisting of chancel, nave and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, built in 1845 and containing 2 small bells without date: there are some interesting monuments to the Hastings and Abney families, including, on the floor of the chancel, two alabaster slabs, with figures and inscriptions much worn, to John Abney and Maria his wife (1505), and to George Abney and Ellen his wife (1571) : on the floor of the nave is another alabaster slab with inscription to Sir John Wylkins, priest; and there is also a fine altar tomb of black and white marble to Sir Charles Hastings bart. d. 30 Sept. 1823: in the chancel windows are some fragments of old glass and modern heraldic glass of the Hastings family: the church was reseated in the year 1883 at the sole expense of the Earl of Loudoun, and a handsome pulpit and prayer desk placed in it: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1677 and contains also a list of moneys collected by Brief from 1669 to 1707. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £73, in the gift of the Earl of Loudoun, and held since 1866 by the Rev. John Denton M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, and surrogate, who is also vicar of and resides at Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The Earl of Loudoun is lord of the manor and sole landowner, and has a red-brick mansion here, called Willesley Hall, standing in a magnificently-wooded park of about 155 acres. The soil is heavy; subsoil, yellow clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The acreage is 910 ; rateable value, £1;066 ; the population in 1881 was 57.

Parish Clerk, William Belcher

Letters through Ashby-de-la-Zouch, which is the nearest post, money order & telegraph office, arrive at 7 a.m

The children of this parish attend the schools at Moira, Measham & Packington

Loudoun Earl of D.L., J.P. Willesley hall & Carlton, White's Marlborough, Bachelor & Orleans clubs, London
Moseley George, bailiff to the Earl of Loudoun, wood farm
Thompson Edward, farmer, Hill farm
Smedley Richard, head keeper to the Earl of Loudoun

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Willesley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills