"Visited by the Ex-Queen of the French and Suite in 1856, who
expressed themselves highly gratified".
* * * * *
The ex-Queen of the French, Marie Amelia of Claremont Palace, stayed
at the Old Bath Hotel for three days and she and her suite enjoyed
the delights of the local scenery, including the High Tor Grotto.
They seemingly crossed the Derwent via the wooden bridge and used
the boats for the return trip ("Derbyshire Times",
30 September 1856).
There is more on-site information about the cavern's proprietor,
Thomas Cardin, who was a Lead Miner.
His baptism (1813)
1841 census | 1851 census | 1861 census | 1871 census
White's 1862 Directory | Kelly's 1864 Directory