Bath: Engraving, 1840
|Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century : Photographs,
Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
Drawn by W. H. Bartlett.
by J. C. Varrall.
London; published for the Proprietors by Geo: Virtue, 26
Ivy Lane, 1840.
A mid 19th century steel engraving of Matlock Bath, with Cumming's
Old Bath Hotel on the left and the pathways of Cat Tor
on the right. Temple Walk wends its way past the Old Bath
to the Temple Hotel, but goes no further. Green Lane, behind
the Museum Parade buildings, seems to have been a fairly
prominent walkway in 1840. The Fish Pond hasn't been included,
but some of the stable buildings and the Ferry House are
shown. Below the Royal Hotel is the Old Bath Tap, the
Fish Pond Hotel of today.
The remainder of South Parade looks rather small in comparison.
High up on the Heights of Abraham is the Upper Towers,
with Masson Cottage below. It is hard to tell whether this
image pre-dates or postdates the vignette of Matlock [Bath]
that was published in the same year.
So who were the people involved with the engraving?
William Henry Bartlett (26 Mar 1809-1854), who drew
the original, has been hard to trace but he is reputed to
have travelled to all the places he drew so he was almost
certainly out of the country when the census returns were
The engraver, John Charles Varrall (10 Oct 1794-1855), was
born in St. Pancras and lived at 90, Pratt Street, Saint
George Virtue (1796-8 Dec 1868) bought Bartlett's drawings;
he was the proprietor of the Art Journal and a bookseller
and publisher. He lived at Ivy Lane for a good deal of his
working life although later moved to 18, Finsbury Square before
leaving London and retiring to Oatlands Park, Walton-on-Thames.
His business addresses were at 24,
25 and 26 Ivy Lane, Newgate st. (bookseller & publisher)
and at 64 & 65 Bartholomew Close (printers). His
son, George Henry, eventually took over the business. George
Virtue died suddenly, in the street outside 7 Porchester Square
Engraving of "Matlock Bath" from the collection of
and © Ann Andrews.
Information researched and written by © Ann
Intended for personal use only.
|References (coloured links are to transcripts
and information elsewhere on this web site):
 The Old Bath Tap appears in the
 William Henry was christened
on 23 Apr 1809 at St. Pancras Old Church, and was the son
of William and Anna Bartlett. See The
Dictionary of Canadian Biography for more information
 Varrall, the son of Charles and
Mary Varrall, was baptised on 3 May 1795 at St. George in
the East, Stepney. He was living with his wife and daughter
on Pratt Street at the time of both the 1841 census (HO107/68/2
f4 p2) and the 185 census (HO107/1497 f125 p6 s459).
 George Virtue was a Scot, born
at Coldstream. He and his family were in Finsbury Square
in 1851 census (HO107/1523 f129 p27 s114). He
was visiting Brighton with his wife in 1861.
 Post Office London Directory
(Small Edition), 1852. Geo Henry, his son, also advertised
in the Directory as Hall, Virtue & Co.,
booksellers & publishers, 25 Paternoster Row
 Obituary Notice published in
the "Western Daily Press",11 December 1868.
Other reports of his death, ranging from the "Inverness
Courier"", 17 December 1868 to the "North
Devon Journal" (same date).