This card was posted in 1914 and may
well have been published just before then. However, this
exceptionally good photograph is Victorian and was taken
from outside the Temple Hotel between 1887 and 1895.
Below the photographer on the left of the image is the zigzag
of Waterloo Road, with Waterloo Square close to the edge
of the picture. The Round House is top left. Holme Road goes
down the hill from there and Green Bank and Clarence Terrace
can be seen, with the Clarence just visible above Green Bank.
What provides a date for the image is the very large warehouse
looking building just below Clarence Terrace. This was Albert
Heights, a kind of Victorian fitness centre, and the skating
rink was here.
In 1887 Frederick Edwin Leggoe was the rink's proprietor and
in 1891 William B Hunt was running it,
although he was not listed in Matlock Bath. Leggoe played
an active part in village life and was on the Local Board.
He seems to have a varied career with interesting range of
occupations, ranging from greengrocer, to accountant and
Salvation Army Officer with iron and steel manager thrown
in for good measure.
Albert Heights was demolished to make way for Rockvale Villas
and Rockvale Terrace, which were built just before the end
of the nineteenth century.
Of note is the horse drawn vehicle. The driver is seated quite
high up and the horses are pulling either a wooden caravan
or a covered waggon similar to a caravan as it has a semi-cylindrical