Both William Adam and Timothy Spencer Hall described The Villa as
the oldest building in Matlock Bath in
the mid nineteenth century and the above card tells us it had
been the home of the Ragg (or Wragg) family. The Stones family
were the last to live there and must have renamed the property
as they were recorded as living at The Villa as late as 1899,
but the 1901 census shows them as being at Ashfield.
The house was demolished in 1908. It had, in its time, been a
family home, a school and
a boarding house that was for many years run by Mr. and Mrs.
In 1892 this substantial property was advertised for letting and
was described as being "delightfully situate, and commands
charming views of the High Tor and the valley of the river Derwent".
As well as the main house, the property had a "Cottage, Stable,
Coach House, good garden, and Paddock adjoining" in grounds
of over an acre. There was also a cow house with over 4 acres of
land and a "small Lock-up
Shop, for some time occupied as a butcher's shop".
A map from 1900 shows "Ashfield" as a large plot on
the Matlock Bath hillside below Guilderoy, with Waterloo Road running
along one boundary. After the house was demolished the land remained
undeveloped for some years. The extension to Temple Walk, at first
called New Road, was not begun until the 1920s.
The above advertisement, which shows the front of the house, with
the cottage alongside, dates from Mr. Broadfoot's time. The same
picture was published in "Days
links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on this
 See both William
of the Peak" and Chapter 4 of "Days
 The Stones were recorded in Matlock
Bath in Kelly's 1895 Directory and Kelly's
1899 Directory. They were listed as living at Ashfield in
the 1901 census. Two sons of the family died in the 1914-18 War. See: Matlock's
WW1 Casualties Not Listed on the Matlock Memorial.
 The Villa was shown as a school
in both Pigot's Directory 1842, when
it was run by the Cox sisters, and in the
1891 census, when Mr. Wright was the schoolmaster.
 The Broadfoots advertised in various
trades directories. See both Kelly's
1848 Directory and Kelly's
1864 entry. John and Elizabeth Broadfoot were in Matlock
Bath at the time of the
1861 census, although their home was not named. John Broadfoot
encountered financial difficulties - see Names
in the London Gazette, 1867.
 "The Derby Mercury",
Wednesday, 27 April, 1892.
 See the Advertisement
for The Villa, Matlock Bath.