A view of Dale Road from the opposite bank of the River Derwent,
close to Matlock Bath station, and one of the first scenes Victorian
and Edwardian visitors would have encountered when they arrived
by train. At the end of Station Approach, blocking the roadway,
are horses and carriages waiting for incoming arrivals (left,
just below centre).
The oval sign on the building at the left of the parade is for
the County and Station Hotel kept by Arthur W. Upton from 1895-1898
(see Matlock Bath & the
Heights of Abraham, 1890s) and then by Francis
Hoyland, who was described in the 1901 census as an Inn Keeper and Tobacconist.
In various trade directories the hotel advertised that it catered
for parties and had "good stabling" which was at the
rear. The County and Station is at the bottom of Holme Road. Next
to it is Holmefield House and
the three properties of Midland Terrace beyond which, towards
Matlock, is a long stone wall.
The large house in the centre of
the picture is The Laurels which was run as apartments by Mrs.
Her husband, Samuel, was the Parish Clerk. The road from The Laurels
to the right is Brunswood Road and above the roofline of the property
can be seen the roof gable end of Clarence Terrace. Neither Rockvale
Villas nor Rockvale Terrace are shown as they were not built. To
the left of The Laurels is Albert Heights, which was demolished
to make way for the houses.
This card was originally thought to
date from around the 1905 postmark, but closer examination and
comparison with other images point to the photograph having been
taken about 10 years earlier.
Enlargement of the Dale Road properties