The nineteenth century stereoview of the New Bath Hotel can't
be dated exactly but will have been taken at some stage in
the twenty plus years of management of the hotel by Ivatts
Their names are in large letters on the front of the hotel.
Ivatts and Jordan" announced
that they had moved to the New Bath from the Royal Station
They had moved some months before the announcement as Henry
William Jordan was buried at Matlock Bath in the April.
In the early years of their tenure the hotel was managed by
Miss Mary Brown Ivatts and her niece Mrs. Emma Jordan (nee
Leake), widow of Henry William.
Emma and Henry William had been married for only two years
when he died.
Miss Ivatts died on 3 Oct 1863 and
Mr. Ivatts became the Manager alongside Mrs. Jordan.
In late 1876 the New Bath was advertised as being to let "from
By 1881 Emma Jordan had moved to Wakefield and was living on
an Income from Dividends; William Henry Ivatts had moved to
the Royal Hotel and
Thomas Tyack was the new manager of the New Bath.
Francis White described the hotel in 1857 as being "situated
on a plot of level ground, considerably elevated above the
carriage road, with a verdant lawn in front, forming an excellent
promenade [the Bath Terrace], and commanding the finest views
of the picturesque scenery for which Matlock Bath stand unrivalled".
White mentioned the addition of a coffee room for ladies
and gentlemen in the hotel's south wing. Interestingly, one
of the windows in the stereoview on the ground floor is blank,
presumably bricked up because of the Window Tax.
The group of buildings in the distance, which included Win
Tor, were demolished about 1930.
Enlargement of right hand image
The front of the New Bath was to change considerably over
the years, with the addition of painted stucco window mouldings
instead of the hotel signs. A second portico was also added
over the doorway behind the tree.
There is more about the New Bath Hotel