Bridge & Bank, early 1890s. With Bridge House (Hall)
|Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century : Photographs,
Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
Another late nineteenth century photograph of Matlock Bridge and
Bank. The picture was probably taken to publish as a postcard
and was taken between 1892 and 1896.
Two things stand out, the first being the excellent view of
an unaltered Bridge House (Bridge Hall Hydro) embowered in trees
and with a formal garden at its front. This building was later
extended and became Matlock's Town Hall. The second point of
interest, which dates it a little later than Gertie's postcard
(the previous image) - though
probably by not much more than a few of years - is that a house
at the corner of Lime Grove Walk and New Street was being built.
It is not even started on the previous picture.
There also appears to be a line of small trees on the opposite
side of the road from the partly built property - presumably
these were the limes that gave Lime Grove Walk its name. They
are not on the previous image. Up on the hill above Smedley's
Hydro smoke is rising from the chimney of the tram's Rutland
Bridge Hall Hydro. Detail from an albumen print.
Bridge House was a hydro for over 33
years. It is first mentioned as such in 1861 and was run
by Dr. Josiah Cash.
Dr. Cash of Leamington married the youngest daughter of
Dr. John Adams of Bridge House in 1851.
By the mid 1850s the Drs. Adams and Cash were working together
and both families were living at Bridge House.
After his father in law's death in 1863 Josiah continued
his work at Bridge House and was also the physician
for the Rowlands at Matlock House Hydro.
Josiah died in Matlock on 19 October 1877 and was buried
at St. Giles' on 23 October. His widow then moved to Buxton.
The Reverend Richard Nicholson, an Independent Minister,
took over, changing the name Bridge House to Bridge
1891 he was also running the Clarence in Matlock Bath but
unfortunately he had some financial difficulties.
In June 1894 both Clarence House Hydropathic Establishment
and Bridge Hall were offered for sale at Matlock Bath
Assembly Room by the auctioneer Joseph Hodgkinson.The Clarence
did not sell but Bridge Hall was bought by Mr. William
Wright of Matlock for £1,750.
A few months later Matlock Local Board were seeking a loan
for various improvements. Major alterations were planned
including fitting new fireplaces and providing useful office
space; they also had to, for example, provide accommodation
for a caretaker. The stabling at the back of the property
was to be converted for use by the fire brigade and was
to have stabling for three horses, a harness room, a
fire engine house for one manual fire engine and storage
for corn (for the horses). It was said that the Council
thought they had splendid bargain.
There are other enlargements of sections of the main image. See:
1. [Matlock Bank] From the collection of, kindly provided for this
website by and © Ray
2. Enlargement of Bridge House/Hall from an albumen print "Matlock
Bank and Matlock Bridge", No.3903 by G.W.W. © Susan Tomlinson
Written, researched by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on this
 There are various references to
the hydro from 1861 onwards: Newspaper
advertisement for his hydro, 1861 | Hall's
in Derbyshire", 1863 | Kelly's
1864 Directory | Kelly's 1876
Directory. He contributed to the Patriotic
Fund in 1854.
 "Derbyshire Courier",
3 May 1851. They were married at Tansley on 24th April. The Adams
family were at Bridge House in the
 Adams & Cash were shown together
in White's1857 Directory and
in the 1861 census. They
were still Adams & Cash in White's
1862 Directory. Dr. Adams was buried at Tansley on 21 Mar
 They were there in the 1871
census. Also see Matlock House
Hydropathic Establishment Advertisement, 1888.
Calendar, C and Strays,
 Reverend Nicholson can be found in the 1881
census | the 1891 census | Kelly's
1891 Directory, Matlock Bridge.
 In 1891 (see Kelly's
1891 Directory, Matlock Bath) he was running the Clarence.
His financial problems meant he was listed in the London Gazette
- see London
Gazette entries for 1894/5.
 "Derbyshire Times",
30 June 1894. Property Sale at Matlock Bath. It is not clear
if Mr. Wright bought Bridge Hall for the Council, but it seems
 "Derbyshire Times",
17 November 1894. The New Local Government Buildings for Matlock.
Official Inquiry Inspector.