Knowleston Place, 1862
|Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century : Photographs,
Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
This vignette of Knowleston Place was engraved for the London
publishers Rock & Co. Ltd.; it is number 4451 and dated
30 Jan 1862.
Knowleston Place is a cluster of early and mid nineteenth
century three storey properties as well as a two storey building
with a stone plaque on which is carved the date of 1621 and
the initials "W G W'. The taller terrace, with the bay
windows, dates from 1857. All are Grade II listed. Behind
the railings opposite the front gardens is what used to be
Knowleston Place Pleasure Grounds, which every household
had access to.
Several of these houses belonged to Henry Knowles, who had
moved to Burton on Trent.
This was the same Henry Knowles who had owned part of what
is today the Hall Leys.
In July 1899, following his death, six
of the villas were amongst a range of Matlock properties
advertised for sale.
Engraving of "Matlock" in the collection of and provided
by and © Susan Tomlinson.
Information researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
|References (coloured links are to transcripts and information
elsewhere on this web site):
16 June 1892. Mr. Henry Knowles, of Woodville, Burton-on-Trent,
was advertising "Glendon", Endcliffe and Brook House to
 See Matlock:
Hall Leys, about 1912 for more information.
Times and Chesterfield Herald", 1 July 1899. Knowles'
estate were also selling properties in Church Street, Stoney
Way and Matlock Green.