The above plan features on the centre pages of L. du Garde Peach's
book about John Smedley. It shows that Smedley's Hydropathic
Establishment was surrounded on several sides by land owned by
other people: Job Knowles Esq. owned land below the Hydro, down
the Bank to the south; Wolley Hurt Esq. owned property adjacent
to the western and south western boundaries; property next to
part of the north western boundary was owned by Mr. Joseph Kaye
and Mr. Jacob Gregory. The road we know today as Smedley Street
was called Broome Head Lane and Bank Road, then Dob Lane, was
After Smedley had died things changed at the hydro and the Directors
of the Company that was formed in 1875 carried out a rapid building
and expansion programme.
Below are slightly larger versions of both the plan and the drawing
of the hydro as it then was. Both of them show the main buildings
with the Promenade in front and Mr. Smedley's Chapel to the left. There
is more about the Chapel.