Images Index> Matlock Index>
Matlock and Matlock Bath Images
Matlock : Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings

About Matlock | About Matlock Bath
Find a Name | Adding an Image
Elsewhere on the website: Andrews Pages Picture Gallery

Last page | First page
Index of
Images about Matlock, with Riber, Starkholmes and Willersley Castle -
on pages of their own, many with local history and biographical information
 
Each page in this section is linked back to here. It is also linked to the previous page and the next one, so all you need to do is to click on any one of the links below and you can navigate easily.


Albums & Booklets



Tourist Booklet of Matlock, Matlock Bath and District, about 1900
Small booklet of twelve views. The photos were probably taken between 1892 and 1900.
"The AutoChrome Album of Matlock & District"
This page is new, but the album has been elsewhere on the site since 2002.
Published in the first decade of the twentieth century. Twelve views, including Crown Square before the tram shelter, and two pages of adverts. Four additional images from a later edition

Almanacs

Matlock: Hodgkinson's Matlock & Historic Almanack, 1945
(War Edition), 65th year.
Includes several pages of local officials, etc.

Matlock Bank

Matlock: Allen Hill Farm
Allen Hill, the home of one branch of the ancient Derbyshire family of Woolley, was demolished in 1934


Matlock Bank and Bridge, 1900-02.
Three images, including two seemingly different images of the same photograph, one from a Ward Lock Guide. Plus information about the development on some of the roads.
*New info and image*
Matlock Bridge and Bank, 1903-04
Coloured postcard, called Matlock Bridge but of both Matlock Bridge and Matlock Bank
Matlock Bank, Summer 1904
A trichromatic postcard of the Bank from Masson Hillside. Now with enlargement of the Orme's building, the County Bridge and the Hall Leys.
*New info and image*
Matlock Bank, Summer 1904 (2) *New*
Part of the County Bridge was closed and difficulties for drays with heavy loads.
Matlock Bank, about 1906
A view from the Masson hillside


Matlock Bank, 1911 - 1914 *Additional image and more info*
Matlock was beginning to experience problems with motor vehicles on both Bank Road and in Crown Square, with a number of accidents reported in the local press. Plus information about the early development of Edge Road.
Matlock: Crown Square & the Bank, 1919-27 *New*
Taken before the tram was closed in 1927 but after the shops at Park Head had finally been demolished in 1926

Matlock: Crown Square & the Bank After the Tram, 1928-39 *New*
A dangerous lorry, parking on the Hall Leys, traffic in Crown Square and Bank Road straightened
Matlock from the Heights of Abraham *Now with enlargement*
The Bank looks as if it is a relatively gently sloping hillside
Matlock Bank from Masson, with Masson Farm *Now with enlargement*
Taken from the top of the Victoria Tower on the Heights of Abraham, with enlargement of Masson Farm
Matlock Bank from the Derwent, 1903
From an oil painting by Henry Hadfield Cubley
Matlock: Looking towards Hackney
Early 20th century card, including Allen Hill and the Dimple

Bank Road

Matlock: Bank Road (1), 1907 *New*
Bank Road seen from Crown Square. Apart from the tramcar the only other vehicles are horse drawn.
Matlock: Bank Road (2) from Crown Square, about 1910
An unusual view of the world's steepest tramway, looking straight up Bank Road. Now includes an advertisement for John Beard's drapery *Addition*
Matlock: Bank Road, (3) 1923-27 *New*
Elevated view of Bank Road, taken from Park Head, taken in the last years of the tramway.
Matlock: Bank Road (4)
These views looking down Bank Road were taken from one of the upper rooms in Central Buildings on Smedley Street, where the photographer Charles Colledge lived.

Matlock: Bank Road (5)
Two more pictures of Matlock, looking down the hill from the top of Bank Road and towards High Tor and Masson, taken by the Smedley Street photographer Charles Colledge.
Matlock: Bank Road (7), 1901-1905 *New*
Bank Road, with a view of Masson. Includes Yew Tree House
Matlock: Bank Road (8), with Masson Hill, early 1930s *New*
The shops and houses on Bank Road, just above the Orchard Road turning where Bank Road is at its widest


Matlock: Bottom of Bank Road and The Lido *New*
An Art Deco swimming pool built in the late 1930s.
Four images and two advertisements.

Matlock Bridge

Matlock: The Old Bridge
Events leading up to the widening of Matlock's mediaeval stone bridge in 1903-4. Postcard of a painting by Henry Hadfield Cubley


Matlock: The Bridge
Two views of Matlock Bridge, not long after it was widened. What happened during the extension project
Matlock: The Bridge, an Edwardian Postcard
After the mediaeval bridge had been widened
Matlock Bridge: Bank House, formerly Riversdale House, about 1902 *New*
Classical Georgian building in the centre of the town that has been a private residence, a school for young ladies, a temperance hotel and finally became a bank. It was even the Head Office of Derbyshire Stone for a time.


Matlock: The Derwent, about 1910, & the Sewerage Scheme.
Two views from the bridge, with information about the implementation of the Matlock Sewerage Scheme.
*Additional image and new info*


Matlock: General Views, Early 20th Century
The railway crossing the river, Matlock Bank and Steep Turnpike. The Council on ashbins. Similar viewpoint to the card immediately below. Two images.
*Additional image and new info*
Matlock Bridge and Bank, 1907
An unusual view of Matlock Bank and Bridge, photographed from just past the Holt Quarry. Plus Steep Turnpike and Mr. Nuttall's field.
*Additional image and new info*
Matlock: General View of Matlock Bank and Bridge, about 1914
Celesque Series postcard of Matlock Bank and the Hall Leys, and part of Dale Road (Matlock Bridge). With information about the older properties on Derwent Avenue
*Additional image and new info*


}
}
} Matlock Bank, the Hall Leys and Dale Road, 1912-20
} Two almost identical cards, taken from slightly different places
}
}
}

Early 20th century miscellany



Matlock at the Beginning of the Twentieth Century
Basquil the tailors, the Crown Hotel's advertisement, an interior view of Hall and Co. and Hall & Co's advertisement
Matlock: Various Scenes from the Early Twentieth Century. A multi view card
Three of the images - The Wishing Stone, The Mill Dam at Tansley and Oker Hill - have been enlarged. Other pictures show Riber Castle, The Dale, Crown Square and Matlock Bridge.

Causeway Lane

Matlock: Marchant Brooks Sale Rooms, Causeway Lane, 1946
The sale of Lea Hurst
Matlock: The Cinema House, 1922
Photographed shortly after it was built

Cavendish Road

Matlock: Claremont, and Mr. Rowland
Charles Rowland built Rockside and Claremont on Cavendish Road

Churches, various but not St. Giles' (see St. Giles', below)



}
}
} Matlock: Church Organ Recitals given by Harry Douglas, 1906-36
} Many were at the Congregational Church
}
}
Matlock: Primitive Methodist Church, Membership Cards
Given to the Lill sisters in the first decade of the twentieth century
Matlock: Wesleyan Methodist Church, 1879 - plan *New*
Plan, consisting of 5 drawings, for the Wesleyan Methodist Church that was to be built on the Bank
Matlock: Wesleyan Methodist Church, 1906 - the new spire *New*
Design for the new porch and tower of the Wesleyan Methodist Church at Matlock Bridge

Correspondence

Matlock: Letterheads of Local Businesses, 1900-1949 (1), Surnames A - D
Part of a series of pages showing letterheads found on stationery used by Matlock and Matlock Bath businesses from 1900 to the shortly after the Second World War
Matlock: Letterheads of Local Businesses, 1900-1949 (2), Surnames E - H
Matlock: Letterheads of Local Businesses, 1900-1949 (3), Surnames I - M
Matlock: Letterheads of Local Businesses, 1900-1949 (4), Surnames N - R
Matlock: Letterheads of Local Businesses, 1900-1949 (5), Surnames S - T
Matlock: Letterheads of Local Businesses, 1900-1949 (6), Surnames U - W
Matlock: Derbyshire Stone's Christmas Card, 1955 *New*
Several images of the company's Christmas greetings card
Matlock: Memorial Cards for Internments at St. Giles' and elsewhere (1), Surnames A-B *New*
Small collection of cards printed between 1889 and 1925, surnames Alsop, Bannister and Byard
Matlock: Memorial Cards for Internments at St. Giles' and elsewhere (2), Surnames C *New*
Small collection of cards printed between 1889 and 1925, surname Cooper
Matlock:Memorial Cards for Internments at St. Giles' and elsewhere (3), Surnames D-R *New*
Small collection of cards printed between 1889 and 1925, surnames Davis, Derbyshire, Fox, Hursthouse, Ridley
Matlock: Memorial Cards for Internments at St. Giles' and elsewhere (4), Surnames S-W *New*
Small collection of cards printed between 1889 and 1925, surnames Smith, Wildgoose, Wood and Woodhouse

Council and Medals

Matlock District Council Coronation Medal, 1937
A medal that was struck in 1937 on behalf of Matlock Urban District Council to commemorate the Coronation of the new King George VI and his wife Queen Elizabeth
Matlock: The Council's Steam Roller, early 1900s
In 1896 Matlock Urban District Council ordered a 12 ton steam road roller

Crown Square


Matlock: 1 Crown Buildings, Crown Square, early 20th century *New*
Peter Holmes' advertisement, which provides a good view of both side of the building on the corner of Crown Square.
Matlock: Crown Square, 1901
A very rare photograph, and possibly a unique image, of Crown Square showing the shops at the top of what is now the Park Head
Matlock: H. G. Hartley's shop in Crown Square, about 1904 *New*
Hartley's sold almost everything. Mr. Hartley was the Chairman of the Council
Matlock: Crown Square from Causeway Lane, about 1910
Crown Square in the days of horse drawn vehicles.
Matlock: Crown Square from the County Bridge, 1928-30
Crown Square after the tramway had gone. With Orme's advertisement


}
}
} Matlock: Crown Square, 1937-39
} The roundabout in the middle of the square had been enlarged
}
}


}
}
}
} Matlock: Crown Square, 1945-52
} Crown Square in the late 1940s and early 1950s had changed only slightly from the Crown Square
} of the late 1930s
}
}
Matlock: Crown Square, looking south west, 1945-52 *New*
Matlock: Burgons, Crown Square, about 1952
View of Crown Square looking toward the Park and Riber



}
}
}
}
} Matlock: Joseph Allen and Sons Garage, Crown Square *New*
} The Allens owned the large garage, with shops and living quarters, from 1916 and their cab, taxi
} and funeral business operated from there.
}
}
}
}



}
}
} Matlock: Furniss's Garage, Crown Square
} William Furniss was the first to open a garage in Crown Square. The family ran a coach business,
} with charabancs and buses, in both Matlock and Matlock Bath
}
}
Matlock: Hand's Garage, Crown Square
Henry Hand and his son William ran what began as a successful livery stables and later included a garage and bus service connecting Matlock and Cromford

Dale, the Boat House, Bridge and Quarries



Matlock: Dale Road, Boat House Hotel and River, early 1900s
The first advertisement for the Boat House Hotel was printed in 1780. It was later advertised with land for quarrying or lime burning


Matlock: Dale Road, Boat House Hotel and River, about 1908
Now includes known licensees, listed alphabetically, 1827 - 1941


Matlock: Dale Road, Boat House Hotel & Quarry
Early twentieth century photo, with information about and an additional photograph of the footbridge which spans the river
Matlock: River Derwent near the Boat House Hotel, about 1908
The Boat House Hotel has its own private waters for fishermen
Matlock: Dale Road, Boat House Hotel and Scout Rooms
The former meeting place of the 4th Matlock Scout Troop


Matlock: Dale Road, Railway Bridge, South Side, 1906
With the stories of two nineteenth century tragedies
Matlock: Dale Road, Railway Bridge, North Side, about 1918
Built in the 1840s for what was then the Manchester, Buxton, Matlock & Ambergate railway
Matlock: The Quarries, Dale Road
This view of the quarries on Dale Road was perhaps a water colour sketch

Matlock: Harvey Dale Mountain Limestone Quarry, Dale Road. *New*
Rare photograph of Greatorex and Son's quarry on Dale Road, with advertisement for both the quarry and the Great Masson Cavern.

Dale Road

Matlock: Dale Road, Beginning of the Twentieth Century
Lovely early Edwardian card dating, shows a view of Dale Road still easily recognizable today
Matlock: Dale Road, an Edwardian postcard
Very similar to the card above

Matlock: Dale Road & Marsdens, 1928 & Early 1950s
From Marsdens, the first shop in Matlock to be lit by electricity, to the Old English.*Added to*
Matlock: J. Wilby of Dale Road, early 1900s

Matlock: Dale Road & The Old English Hotel
Two postcards, including the photo with the very long ladder, plus a modern photograph. Find out who kept the hotel at the beginning of the twentieth century and who the shopkeepers were *Added to*
Matlock: Dale Crescent, about 1908 *New*
A rare late Edwardian image, when some Dale Road addresses were known as Dale Crescent. With advert for the Bon Marché
Matlock: Dale Road, 1919 *New*
Matlock was now emerging from the effects of the First World War. Amongst the most important events in the town in 1919 were the Peace Celebrations. Plus, in 1917, the formation of a society to support disabled and returning soldiers.
Matlock: Dale Road, about 1904
Statham's Studio and Gessey's Confectionery
Matlock: Dale Road, 1909
Evans the jewellers, the Old English, etc.
Three photographs of the Old English have now been added as well as an advert for Evans jewellers. *Added to*
Matlock: Dale Road, 1949 *New*
The view from the Picture Palace, now includes advert for Wallis's.*Added*
Matlock: Holt Lane and Dale Road, about 1900
Thomas Green, one of Matlock's longest living residents, lived at the Rock Inn
Matlock's Market Hall, Dale Road
This building on Dale Road is quite significant in Matlock's history and its opening was a grand occasion. It was built as a market hall and opened in 1868

General Views From ...

Matlock: Masson Hill from Chesterfield Road
Probably taken before WW1
Matlock: Masson from Dean Hill, 1921 - 1930 *New*
With views of Matlock Green, Knowleston Place, Stoney Way, Matlock Town and Starkholmes.
Matlock: General View from Jackson Tor *New*
Matlock in the first decade of the twentieth century. The picture shows Jackson House Hydro, Tor House Hydro, All Saints and The Terrace on Wolley Road which had connections to the Pre-Raphaelite Movement. With advert for the Abbey Hotel (formerly Jackson House).
Matlock: Seen from the Look-out, Jackson Tor
Possibly taken before the first world war *Additional information*
Matlock: Looking south from Jackson Tor, 1928 *New*
View of central Matlock, including the station goods yard, Poyser's mill and his Curtis Cultivator.

Matlock from Matlock Bank, 1904-06 *New*
1904-06 postcard includes the newly built Co-op buildings and Smedleys, with information about the Co-operative Society. 1964 photo from the same viewpoint.
Matlock: Castle View, Looking Towards Riber & Starkholmes *New*
View of Riber Castle, Starkholmes and High Tor from Cavendish Road. It also shows one of hydro's bridges across Smedley Street.


Matlock: Views from the Memorial & Memorial Hill, 1920s
Postcard showing Causeway Lane, the Hall Leys, the recently built (Ritz) Cinema House and the Bank.
*New images and additional information*, including a picture showing people watching sheep-dog trails on the Hall Leys in the 1930s.


Matlock from Riber, 1914
Matlock Bank was still relatively undeveloped. With a little about Dean Hill Fields. Five images.
*New images and additional information*
Matlock from Riber, late 1920s *New*
A little about the revived cattle market and special fairs

Hydros (some of), Hotels and Holiday Centres

Matlock: Belle Vue Hydro, about 1903 *New*
Established as a Hydro in 1860, Belle Vue used John Smedley's mild water cure treatments.


Matlock: Chatsworth Hydro
This was initially called Poplar Cottage and the Jeff's Poplar Hydro and was originally run by the Davis family *New image and additional information*


}
} Matlock: Poplar Hydro, later Chatsworth Hydro, 1900-05
} These unusual postcards of the recreational activities available
} to the guests of Poplar Hydro provide a fascinating glimpse
} into hydro life before the Great War
}


Matlock : Chesterfield House Hydro
Ralph Davis and John Smedley were the first two people to open hydropathic establishments on Matlock Bank. Chesterfield House was Davis's third venture *Two new images & more info*
Matlock Chesterfield House Hydro Brochure, 1906-17 *New*
Lovely early twentieth century illustrated brochure, originally produced for Arthur Hitching, with changes by the new owner in 1917


Matlock House Hydro, Early Twentieth Century
Promotional card, a 1903 advert and a multi view, with more about the hydro
*Additional image*

Matlock: Derby & Derbyshire Convalescent Home (NALGO House)
Where Rossetti stayed on Lime Tree Lane (later Road) in 1857, when it was owned by Mr. Cartledge. It later became a school before becoming a Convalescent Home.
Matlock: Bank House & Church View Hydro, New Street *New*
Henry Ward built Bank House before 1871, took over the adjacent Church View in 1874 and remained there until not long before the first world war. The property was bought by Ernest Henry Bailey.
Dale View Holiday Centre, Matlock
A large house on Sitch Lane, Oker

Lea Hurst, Lea Mills & Lea Wood



Florence Nightingale's Balcony, Lea-Hurst, Nr. Matlock
Lea Hurst was one of the homes belonging to the father of Florence Nightingale.
Also includes a post card of a painting by Henry Hadfield Cubley
Matlock: Lea Mills, Lead Smelting Works & Coumbs Wood
Smedley's Mill at Lea and a Smelting Works, both on the parish boundary
John Smedley Ltd., Lea Mills, Matlock *New*
Advertisement for Lea Mills reproduced from Matlock and District Industrial Exhibition catalogue
View of Lea and Bow Wood across the Derwent Valley *New*
Includes the Cromford Canal, the High Peak Junction, Leawood Pumphouse, Wigwell Aqueduct, Cromford Goods Wharf and the hat manufactory at Lea.

Lilybank


Matlock: Lilybank Hydro (Dalefield) *Updated*
Dalefield was opened as a hydropathic establishment by George Bernard Barton. It changed its name to Lilybank. With information about the Barton family. Three images.
Matlock: Mr. Barton's Dalefield Hydro (Lilybank), 1904 *Updated*
There was no mistaking George Bernard Barton's Dalefield Hydropathic on Matlock Bank. Two images.
Matlock: Lilybank Hydro, Sun Lounge, 1930s

}
}
} Matlock: Lilybank Hydro, 1930s *New*
} Painting published as a postcard and two advertisements
}
}
Matlock: Lilybank Hydro, Ballroom *New*
Numerous clubs and societies who hired Lilybank's ballroom for their annual dinner dances and balls in the 1950s. Three images.

}
}
} Matlock: Lilybank Hydro, 1950s *New*
} Multi view postcard and an advertisement
}
}

}
}
}
} Matlock: Lilybank Hydro - Menus, 1958 - 60
} A dinner menu and the two menu covers
}
}
}

Lime Tree Hill, Lumsdale and Lynholmes

Matlock: The Lime Tree, Lime Tree Hill, 1920s *New*
A large lime tree stood on Matlock Bank for several centuries.

Matlock: Lumsdale, about 1900 *New*
Matlock's oldest industrial area, where mills were powered by water from the Bentley Brook.
Includes photos of the brook today.
Matlock: Lynholmes Road and the early days of the Hurst Farm Estate
Two photographs of the Riber hillside, the first taken at the beginning of the estate's development and the second taken in 1947 and shows part of the Drill Hall

Old Matlock (Matlock Town)

Old Matlock
Postcard of a painting by Henry Hadfield Cubley.
The artist's biography has been moved to the Biographies section of the site

Oldham House | Prospect Place | Woodlands School

Matlock: Oldham House Hydro & Woodlands School (Miss White's)
The hydro on Wellington Street, that had been run for many years by the Davis family, was bought by two sisters after WW2 and turned into a private school which closed in 1965
Matlock: Oldham House and Prospect Place Hydro, 1903 Advertisement
From Abel Heywood's Guide
Matlock: Oldham House Hydro
Oldham House Hydro, Matlock - with a number of people in the photograph
Matlock: Oldham House Hydro, Wellington Street, 1924
Lubin George Wildgoose, a grandson of Thomas Davis, was running the hydro
Matlock: Oldham House Hydro, Dining Room, 1908 *New*
The dining room had been built in 1899.
Matlock: Oldham House Hydro, Tennis Court and Bowling Green

Operatic Society

Matlock and District Amateur Operatic Society, Productions 1907-59 *New*
List of productions 1907-1969 (with programme covers where available), with information of how and when it began.
Matlock & District Amateur Operatic Society, The Mikado, 1908 *New*
The programme cover, cast, society's officers and advertisers

Park, the Hall Leys

Matlock: Hall Leys, about 1912
Some people are playing tennis

Matlock: Hall Leys, 1914 *New*
The tennis courts on the park now had nets. Croquet was also being played.
Matlock: Hall Leys Park - The Broad Walk, about 1920
Old tram cables were used in the fencing
Matlock: Hall Lees, early 1930s


Matlock: Hall Leys, Tennis, Boating Lake & Paddling Pool, 1940s & 50s
Two postcards and a photograph
(The photo of the tennis courts has been moved. It used to be on a different web page)


Matlock: Hall Leys, Boating Lake
Three postcards of the Jubilee boating lake, and its opening in 1935.
Includes two photographs of the boating lake today
Matlock: Hall Leys Park in Winter, 1940s
The boating lake in Hall Leys Park was used for ice skating, when conditions allowed
Hawe Lees, Matlock, showing Bandstand and New Pavilion
Early 20th century crowd listening to a Scottish band
Matlock: Park Band Stand, Hall Leys
Matlock: The Bandstand, Hall Leys Pleasure Grounds, 1950s.
Screens were erected on Matlock's Bandstand.
Matlock: The Park and Tram Shelter
The shelter and its clock were donated by Mr. Robert Wildgoose

Matlock, The Park, 1952
The Hall Lees in 1952, with contemporary description.
Includes a photograph of the park today *New image*



Matlock: Hall Lees Park, Boating on the Derwent, 1930s
Four images, including the 1930s landing stage
Matlock: The Miniature Railway on the Hall Leys
The 1950s engine and three photos of today's train
Matlock: Sparrow Park, Smedley Street East, 1940s *New*
Matlock Council did not want to spoil the view.

Pic Tor

Pig Tor, Matlock, 1903 - 1905
Photographed shortly after the walkway was opened. The Council discussed the name.


Matlock Bridge, Pic Tor Walk 1909
Two postcards of a lovely riverside walk. There were two temperance hotels on this stretch of the Derwent.
Matlock: Pic Tor, 1920
The attractive Pic Tor Walk
Matlock: Pic Tor Promenade
Matlock: Pic Tor and the River Derwent, early twentieth century
Matlock: The Pic Tor
From a painting by H H Cubley


}
}
} Matlock: Pic Tor and Riber Castle, with War Memorial, 1935
}
}
Matlock: Pic Tor and Riber Castle, 1928
Read about a brass band contest
Matlock: Pic Tor, the Cycle Track and Matlock Green
Postcard of Pic Tor looking towards Matlock Green and Tansley. Two sections of the card, showing the temperance hotels on Dale Road and both the almshouses and Knowlston Place, have been enlarged.
*Added to*
Matlock: Pic Tor, the Cycle Track and Matlock Green, 1909
Charles Colledge's card is a slightly earlier picture than the one above and shows more of the cycle track. *Added to*

Rockside

Matlock: Rockside Hydro *New*
From its opening to the outbreak of the first world war.
Matlock: Rockside Hydro, 1903
Advertisement, shortly before the hydro's major refurbishment and showing the building in the 1880s. From the Ward Lock Guide. *Updated*

Rockside Hydro, Matlock, 1908
Just a couple of years after the twentieth century refurbishment, much of which was in the Art Nouveau style. *Updated*
Matlock: Rockside - View from South, 1917
Rockside remained open for business for most of the First World War, until it was commandeered by the R.A.F. *Updated*
Matlock: Rockside Hydro, Interior
The lounge and ingle nook fireplace. *Updated*
Matlock: Rockside Hydro, One of the Tennis Courts
Tennis was just one of the activities that visitors to Rockside had been able to enjoy since 1880. *Updated*
Matlock: Rockside Hydro, 1925-45
A high class hydropathic establishment, advertised as being 800 feet above sea level. It all ended at the outbreak of the second world war. Now with three images of the hydro. *Updated*
Matlock: Rockside - Teacher Training College, 1945-88. *New*
After the War Rockside was bought by Derbyshire County Council and was converted into a teacher training college.
Matlock: Rockside, the Former Hydro and its ups and downs
Photographs of Rockside in a very sorry state of repair, some pictures of the redevelopment in progress and photographs of the restored building (including the interior).

Schools


Matlock Modern School: Monthly Letter, March, 1935
Newsletter for the parents, pupils and staff of a progressive school in the inter war years.
Plus 934 advertisement and blazer badge
Matlock Modern School Prospectus, 1932. *New*
Photographs and content from this progressive school's brochure for prospective parents.

Smedley's Hydro & Memorial Hospital


Matlock: Smedley's Hydro, early 1900s *New image
From insignificance to one of the largest hydros in the kingdom

Matlock: Smedley's Hydro, 1906-7 *New image
The text has changed significantly and now includes information about some of the staff of the day.

Matlock: Smedley's Hydro, 1908-14
A garage had been built the previous year. Includes two adverts from Hodgkinson's Guide *New images
Matlock: Smedley's Hydro during the First World War *New
Smedley's functioned normally in the War and the hydro's permanent residents were largely undisturbed.
Includes a comment from a patient who was there in the early stages of WW1.


Matlock: Smedley's Hydro, The Inter-War Years
Second to none in Europe.
*New picture and two advertisements*
The image of the Terrace and Winter Garden in the snow has been moved to this page

Matlock: Smedley's Hydro Drawing Room, 1906 *New image
Edwardian picture of the drawing room, dominated by two huge portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Smedley.
Now includes another view of the drawing room, taken a few years earlier
Smedley's Hydropathic Establishment Matlock, Brochure, about 1925
This page is new, but the brochure has been elsewhere on the site since 2002.
Smedley's Hydro brochure was designed for the hydro's many visitors in the inter war period. The thirty two pages of images and text provided information on the tariffs, baths and treatments at Matlock's premier hydro, etc.
Smedley's Hydro and Grounds, Matlock, 1926 - from "Truth".
Includes excerpts from Truth and a list of baths available
Smedley's Hydro Grounds, Matlock, 1926 - from "Truth".
The Hydro had eight acres of park-like grounds in 1926
Matlock: Smedley's Hydro Bath Book, about 1928 *New*
Patients were given bath books to record their treatment
Matlock: Smedley's Hydro, Grand Dining Room. *New*
A pre 1914 war photo. Includes the 1900 Banquet menu and a little about the Banquets.


}
}
}
} Matlock, Smedley's Christmas Banquet Menu, 1925
}
]
}
}



}
}
}
} Matlock: Smedley's Christmas Banquet Menus, 1926-7
} Also includes list of music played in 1927
}
}
}
Matlock: Smedley's Christmas Banquet Menu, 1928 *New*


}
}
}
} Matlock: Smedley's Menus, 1946-9
}Two Christmas menus, and the New Year Dinner Menu for 1949
}
}
}
Matlock: Smedley's - Great Britain's Greatest Hydro, 1950
An advertisement published in "The Derbyshire Countryside", and C. F. White's bombshell.
*Additions to
Matlock: Smedley's Hydro & Grounds, 1952, & the Hydro's Closure
A centenary card, and the hydro's last struggle. With the letter Henry Douglas wrote informing clients about the closure.
*Additions to

Matlock: The Winter Garden, Smedley's Hydro *New*
The Winter Garden, with its fernery and ballroom, was magnificent when it opened in 1900.

Matlock: Smedley's Memorial Hydropathic Hospital
Smedley's Memorial Hydropathic Hospital on Bank Road was founded by Mrs. Caroline Smedley in memory of her late husband. *Additional image and info

St Giles' Church

Matlock: St Giles' Church, about 1904

Matlock: St. Giles' Parish Church, before 1908
Matlock's Parish Church, with a short description by J. Charles Cox written in 1915.
Now with a little about the bells that were cast or recast in 1904. *Updated*
Matlock: St. Giles' Church in the First Decade of the Twentieth Century *New*
Having been enlarged in the late 1890s, work on the church continued in the early twentieth century
Matlock: St. Giles' Church and Old Matlock, early 20th Century
Postcard of St. Giles' Church and surrounding buildings *Updated*
Matlock: St. Giles' Church and Green, 1914
The tree outside the churchyard is just a stump


Matlock: St. Giles' Parish Church, Lych Gate
Now with three images *Updated*
Matlock: St. Giles' Church Interior, about 1910 *New*
The church interior, showing the oak stalls, the organ case, and the pulpit
Matlock: Church, Memorial Gardens and Riber from the Hall Leys
Riber Hillside, photographed from the Hall Leys. Shows Matlock Parish Church, the churchyard and the War Memorial
Matlock: Church from Hawe Leys, 1906
From an oil painting by Henry Hadfield Cubley

Station


Building the Railway Line to Matlock Station *New image*
The railway arrived in Matlock in 1849, opening on 4th June and celebrated by lunch at the Old Bath Hotel in Matlock Bath. Here is a short account of the railway being built and information about the inadequate facilities at the station in the 1880s and 1890s.
Matlock Railway Station buildings, 2004 and before
This includes a series of photographs of the early days of Peak Rail
Matlock Station: Smart's Quarry, 1928
Photograph of a raised rail track, with waggons on it about to empty their load into lorries waiting underneath

Wellington Street to Wishing Stone



}
}
} Matlock: Crowder Johnson's Handmade Hosiery Works *Additional info*
} A family run business on Wellington Street. Two images
}
}


Matlock: The Wishing Stone
Matlock's Wishing Stone is a massive rock. Three postcards, plus a modern photograph
*New image added*

Riber


Matlock: Riber Castle *New*
Built as a family home, it became a boys' school, then a government food store and was later a zoo
Riber Hall
An early twentieth century painting by Henry Hadfield Cubley. The ancient home of the Wolleys, with information about the families who lived there in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Matlock: Riber Hall, 1926 *New*
Pen and ink drawing of the Hall.
Riber Hill and Riber Castle, Matlock
View of the farms and dry stone walls below the castle. Now includes a little on 18th century Riber.

Pathways to Riber Castle, passing Riber House Farm, Matlock *New*
The footpath up the hillside goes right past the farm's gate. The home of the Wilsons and Farnsworths, the latter famous in the district for their family choir.
Matlock: A Peep at Riber Castle
The view from Matlock Bath
Riber Castle, Matlock : A Classroom
A postcard produced by Rev. Chippett
Matlock: Riber, a Winter Scene, 1937
With the publisher's signature on the back

Starkholmes

Matlock: Starkholmes and Riber from a Path to High Tor *New*
With a little about Wards End and some of the people who lived there


Matlock: Starkholmes, Sheffield Works Societies' Convalescent Home *New*
During the First World War the Sheffield Works Societies' had a Convalescent Home in Starkholmes.

Willersley



Matlock: Willersley Castle
Three images, two early 1900s and the other from about 1960. Includes some information about Willersley after the Arkwright family had left.
*New image*
Matlock: Willersley Castle, early 1900s *New*
In 1905 a large party was held in the grounds
Matlock: Willersley Castle, 1927
The main entrance. The photograph is from the catalogue of the sale.
Matlock: Willersley Castle Contents Sale, 1927
Matlock: Willersley Castle Contents Sale, 1927 - Bedroom 15
Matlock: Willersley Castle Estate Sale, 1927 *New*
Sale of the estate, consisting of about 290 acres - last page of catalogue
Matlock: Willersley Castle, about 1931 *New*
The post Arkwright alterations were sympathetic to the character of the building. But some Victorian ideas remained.
Matlock: Willersley Castle and the Matlock Hills, from Cromford Hill