The postcard is called "Matlock Bridge" but it also
shows Matlock Bank and was taken from just behind Dale Road / Snitterton
Road, probably from the footpath which runs just west of the line
of the railway line (please email if you disagree, as it could
be from slightly higher up).
Although a large portion of the Bank was green when this picture
was taken the open spaces have been considerably developed over
the intervening one hundred or so years. Bank Road climbs the hill
in the centre of the picture, with Lime Grove Walk going off to
the right. The trees on Lime Grove Walk are a little more mature
than in the images on the previous
there are a few more houses on the road. Edge Road is beginning
to develop as well, with the terrace of six semi detached houses
having been completed. The two communities of Matlock Bank and
Matlock Bridge were gradually being joined together.
The vehicle in the road just below what is now the Methodist and
United Reformed Church on Bank Road is one of the trams.
Also on Bank Road, the former Bridge House (Bridge Hall) had been
extended as it was by this time owned by Matlock Council and had
become the Town Hall, with the fire station behind it. The Town
Hall had opened in 1900.
Smedley's, Matlock House and Rockside Hydros can all be seen
higher up the Bank. Rockside was yet to change into the building
we recognize today.
Bank House and Church View Hydro is slightly above the centre of
the picture. For a short time it was called Wyvern House, then
was converted into a school (Ernest Bailey's) and is now the County
Record Office. The buildings on the edge of Hall Leys Park which
were very close to the Bridge, and demolished many years ago, can
also be seen.
Also look at images No 3, 4 and 5 of Just
Compare those pictures with this postcard.