|Matlock Bank, Summer 1904
|Matlock : Twentieth Century Photographs,
Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
An early twentieth century trichromatic postcard of Matlock Bank,
taken from Masson hillside and showing Bank Road, Lime Grove
Walk, Causeway Lane and Steep Turnpike. The buildings at the
very bottom of the picture are on Snitterton Road.
A tram can be seem part of the way up Bank Road, just above the
Methodist and United Reformed Church. There are four churches in
the picture. Two more are on Bank Road (the Primitive Methodist
close to the Smedley Street junction and St. Joseph's) and on Smedley
Street, close to the junction with Chesterfield Road, is the Congregational
Church that was demolished in 1972.
Of interest is that all the houses on St. Joseph's Street houses
are built and near completion.
The white building with the red roof, bottom centre above, has
a sign below the chimney on the gable end facing the camera which
reads R. Orme and Co., Family Grocers. It is seen more clearly
in the enlargement below. The grocery shop later moved premises
on the other side of Crown Square, three years before the building
with the sign was demolished in 1926.
Apart from the sign on the end of the Orme's building, there are two
other things of interest in the enlargement of a section of the
postcard above. The first is a feature between the Orme's building
and the bottom of the image that helps date the picture. It shows
Matlock's mediaeval County Bridge undergoing widening in 1904.
Protective railings can be seen on the southern side of the bridge
as a temporary wooden footbridge with supporting towers based in
the river bed was put in place. There is close boarded fencing
on the top of the northern side of the bridge and some kind of
screening below it that may be to prevent workmen (or stone) from
falling in, with two of the bridge's stone piers beyond it. This
was the side of the bridge that was widened.
Behind Burgons shop, which occupied the distinctive black and
white building, is what was to become the Hall Leys. At this time
the area was fenced with a five bar gate acting as an entrance
from Causeway Lane. We know that Matlock's Football Club used the
land until they moved to their present site and there appears
to be a goal post within the railings.
Causeway Lane itself seems
to be little more that a rough track, though it could just have
been very dusty. The need to re-lay its road surface was discussed
by the Council at their monthly meeting in May 1904. Mr. Job Smith,
the Council's Chairman, stated they did not have enough money to
lay new stone (crushed limestone) from one end to the other as
it would use up half the rate, so it was decided that the road
would be re-laid by the Surveyor, using as little new stone as
possible. There were also comments about the slow work rate at
the County Bridge which Mr. G. Boden thought was disgraceful. He
pointed out that the average number of men working on the bridge
had not been more than five since the work had begun. It was agreed
they would urge the County Bridges and Highways Committee to try
to speed things up!
More about the County Bridge
"Matlock Bank E". Published by J.W.S. No.2499. Trichromatic
P.C. by J. Welch & Sons, Portsmouth. Printed at our Works in
Belgium. Half Penny Inland Foreign One Penny.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann
Written, researched by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
|References (coloured links are to transcripts and information
elsewhere on this web site):
 See Churches
 "Derby Daily Telegraph",
22 May 1926. Town and Country gossip. Refers to the buildings having
been demolished, the Matlocks having "set their house in order"
 "Derbyshire Times", 4
May 1904. Road improvements.