Sneath's picture of Matlock Bank was taken in either 1926 or 1927,
so before the tram was closed in 1927 but after the shops at Park
Head had finally been demolished in 1926. Street improvement
in the town centre had been on the Council's radar since 1919 when
they had been initially unsuccessful in purchasing these
The eventual removal of the row that obstructed
the view of the Hall Leys, Matlock's biggest public park, was seen
by many as a great improvement as it provided an uninterrupted
view over the Hall Leys from Crown Square.
In May 1926 the local Council announced that the County Council
had made a contribution of £2000 towards the Crown Square
for the Council's plans, a couple of months later the Matlocks
UDC received a letter from the County Surveyor stating that the
County Council were unable to widen the bridge over the Derwent,
citing financial reasons.
The same year a Derby journalist recommended a ramble from Matlock:
"After leaving Matlock Station turn sharply
to the right up the hill over the railway bridge. Look out for
a notice board indicating the footpath to Salter's Lane and Bonsall.
The steep field path affords extensive views ; to the north the
fine vista of the Derwent Valley is opened up".
The view he described was a favourite with photographers over
Enlargement, showing the tram shelter in Crown Square on the
left (distinguished by the clock)
and the paving that replaced the Park Head shops. On the back
of the former Burgon's building
is a large advertisement for the store. The black elephant
has replaced it today.