An unusual view of the world's steepest tramway, looking straight
up Bank Road. The tram is heading up the hill, with a father
and son perched at the front to enjoy the ride. There are a number
of pedestrians but no other vehicles on the Bank, not even a
horse and cart.
What has helped date the photograph to about
1910 is the sign above the shop doorway which provides the shopkeeper's
name as J E Beard. John Edward Beard first appears in local records
around 1908 when
he is found occupying Crown buildings as a general and fancy drapery,
also selling millinery and underclothing. He was still there
in 1912. Born in Westminster in 1858, he was the
son of a draper; the family later lived at Great Malvern.
Mr Beard, his wife and two surviving children moved to
Matlock from Nottingham to live above the Crown Square premises.
Mr Beard had previously had a drapery business on Mansfield
Road, Nottingham and the Matlock concern appears to have involved
all the family.
In 1914 several advertisements appeared in the Sheffield paper
advertising his drapery stock for sale. It was advertised at
cost price and he placed the value of £350 on his entire
stock. Beard's Matlock drapery later became Orme's grocery shop,
beloved by a whole generation of Matlock residents, though Orme's
also disappeared from the scene many years ago.
See Orme's on Matlock:
Letterheads of Local Businesses, 1900-1949 (4), N - R